Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mightyboosh Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
    93 Accord won't start combination of sitting for months and more
    I had my 93 Accord engine rebuilt a year ago. The car had a main relay problem after that and was replaced and started fine. The radiator fan would not come on so I bled the system no help and then replaced the thermostat. After that the car started roughly and shut down. I checked the thermostat again and it never started again. It has been 6 months since then. I checked today and found the ground wire unattached from the thermostat bolt and got excited. I reattached it and guess what? The car would not start:confused:

So I guess I screwed up my car troubleshooting the fan problem (I had installed a new fan timer unit and a thermostat) and leaving off the ground wire. I am this close to towing it to the junkyard, but I love my old car.

Question is should I drain the yucky gas? (How?) How do I go about fixing the starting issue? And if I get that lucky, how do I fix the fan problem. In that order. Thank you for reading this and taking sympathy on this blockhead:p
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 06:50 AM

Starting Problem

. Remove, clean, and reattach the main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. It's the 3-wire brass connector.

. Remove and fully charge the battery. Clean battery terminals and cable connections.

. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), does the Check Engine Light come on and go off after 2 seconds? During this interval, do you hear the fuel pump run?

. Check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for spark. Remove a spark plug wire and attach it to a properly gapped spark plug, touch the plug to a convenient ground, and observe the spark, while someone cranks the engine. Look for a good, solid spark.

Fuel Problem

Siphon out as much fuel as you can, if you are sure it's bad. It's even possible to attach a hose to the fuel line and use the fuel pump to pump out the old fuel, by turning the ignition switch to ON (Position II).

Apr 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Starting Problem

. Remove, clean, and reattach the main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. It's the 3-wire brass connector.

. Remove and fully charge the battery. Clean battery terminals and cable connections.

. When you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), does the Check Engine Light come on and go off after 2 seconds? During this interval, do you hear the fuel pump run?

. Check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for spark. Remove a spark plug wire and attach it to a properly gapped spark plug, touch the plug to a convenient ground, and observe the spark, while someone cranks the engine. Look for a good, solid spark.

Fuel Problem

Siphon out as much fuel as you can, if you are sure it's bad. It's even possible to attach a hose to the fuel line and use the fuel pump to pump out the old fuel, by turning the ignition switch to ON (Position II).
    Update #1: I removed, cleaned, and reattached the ground wire from the thermostat. I then installed a fully charged new battery. Check engine light came on when ignition switch turned on and then went off, I did not hear the fuel pump, although it was a bit noisy. Cranked engine, but no start. I double checked the main relay plug under the dash, because I had messed with fan timer unit previously, it appeared plug in securely. Just in case I opened the doors to cool off the cabin, but no start.

I guess the next thing to do is to do is check for spark. Do I just unscrew any spark plug and touch it to the valve cover while someone turns on the ignition? Will I be able to hear it whir into action if it is quiet, and where is it? If I do not hear the pump is it a main relay problem again?

Thanks for the answers and looking forward to reporting back with a running engine and maybe no fan problem.:D
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 06:33 AM

. Check all underhood and underdash fuses, as previously instructed. Be very thorough, since it can save a lot of time and money.

. Follow the steps below, since the fuel pump doesn't work:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1245523

. Check for spark. Remove a spark plug wire and attach it to a properly gapped spark plug, touch the plug to a convenient ground, and observe the spark, while someone cranks the engine. Look for a good, solid spark. It's easier to use an old plug and not have to remove one from the engine.

Apr 17, 2009, 01:22 AM
    . Check all underhood and underdash fuses, as previously instructed. Be very thorough, since it can save a lot of time and money.

. Follow the steps below, since the fuel pump doesn't work:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1245523

. Check for spark. Remove a spark plug wire and attach it to a properly gapped spark plug, touch the plug to a convenient ground, and observe the spark, while someone cranks the engine. Look for a good, solid spark. It's easier to use an old plug and not have to remove one from the engine.
    I triede the spark plug test by grounding it to the chassis, I saw a spark (I was expecting a big flash, but seriously I saw a little spark between the gap of the plug). So, I guess we are just missing some fuel to get this thing started. I still can't hear the fuel pump, so I imagine I will investigate that circuit next. I looked at all the fuses, they look OK visually, I don't have a multimeter, so that is the best I can do at the moment. I will carefully listen for the fuel pump next time I look at the car by listening by the gas cap or in the trunk ( when I can get some help).

Thanks again for the moral support.

Apr 21, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mightyboosh View Post
    I triede the spark plug test by grounding it to the chassis, I saw a spark (I was expecting a big flash, but seriously I saw a little spark between the gap of the plug). So, I guess we are just missing some fuel to get this thing started. I still can't hear the fuel pump, so I imagine I will investigate that circuit next. I looked at all the fuses, they look ok visually, I don't have a multimeter, so that is the best I can do at the moment. I will carefully listen for the fuel pump next time I look at the car by listening by the gas cap or in the trunk ( when I can get some help).

Thanks again for the moral support.
    Update... I finally bought a multimeter and tested the fuses as directed. Underdash fuse #9 (7.5A Starter signal) has no power everything else is good there 12v. Underhood two fuses have no power they are r headlight and l headlight (20A). I jumpered 5 and 7 on the main relay and the pump did not run. I am suspecting that the ignition has something to do with this problem?
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 04:29 PM

Replace those 3 fuses. Since the fuel pump did not run, when main relay Terminals 5 and 7 were jumped, I suspect the ACG (S) (ALT) may be bad. This fuse is ofter overlooked, since it's located in the SRS block of the underdash fuse box--often in the top right-hand portion of the fuse box.

When you jumped main relay Terminals 5 and 7, did you then turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II)?

Apr 21, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Replace those 3 fuses. Since the fuel pump did not run, when main relay Terminals 5 and 7 were jumped, I suspect the ACG (S) (ALT) may be bad. This fuse is ofter overlooked, since it's located in the SRS block of the underdash fuse box--often in the top right-hand portion of the fuse box.
    Replace the fuse in the yellow block? If so, I already tested that one and it had 12v. The starter signal has no voltage, do I need to depress the clutch to power that one? I don't know why the headlight fuses have no power but I tested the fuses for continuity and they were fine. See the photo I have attached. Thanks mucho
    Attached Images

Apr 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
    When you jumped main relay Terminals 5 and 7, did you then turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II)?
    Yes ignition on Position II and no sound.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:01 PM

Do you see an ACG (S) (ALT) fuse? They are usually 15A. If you replace all fuses and the fuel pump doesn't run, when Terminals 5 and 7 are jumped, I would check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

If the problem persists, I would check the connections on the fuel pump itself. If they are fine, I would replace the fuel pump. This would be the first bad Honda fuel pump I've seen--they are that reliable. I know my days of making that statement, however, are numbered.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:03 PM

You might even remove the 7.5A fuse that tests bad and clean the contacts with steel wool or abrasive cloth--then retest.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:10 PM

Are you testing both test points on each fuse? Do you have SRS (air bag)? Be sure to double-check the 10A fuse in the yellow box.

Apr 21, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Do you see an ACG (S) (ALT) fuse? They are usually 15A.
    No I don't, is it under the dash or the hood?

You might even remove the 7.5A fuse that tests bad and clean the contacts with steel wool or abrasive cloth--then retest.
    Done and no help I even replaced it. Why no power?

Are you testing both test points on each fuse? Do you have SRS (air bag)? Be sure to double-check the 10A fuse in the yellow box.
    Yes both points have 12vdc I replaced the fuse anyway. No joy on the starting.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:25 PM

The ACG (S) (ALT) fuse is in the underdash fuse box. It stands for alternator, cruise control, gauges, and SRS unit.

Next, check the ignition switch and the fuel pump. If you think the switch is good, jump ahead to the fuel pump.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:29 PM

Do you hear the main relay click twice, when the ignition switch is turned to ON?
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 05:41 PM

Check for continuity between main relay connector Terminal 7 and the fuel pump. If necessary, repair an open in the wiring.

Check fuel pump. Clean connections and thoroughly test pump motor, prior to replacement. Before going any further, all efforts must be focused on getting the fuel pump to run.

Apr 22, 2009, 04:27 AM
    Tested continuity between main relay pin 7 and ground, it had continuity. So I guess that means the wiring is good between the fuel pump and the main relay. I will check for power at the fuel pump later on today.

Still no power on the #9 (starter signal) fuse under dash. Fuse has been swapped. Could this still be an ICM problem? Or do you think it is the ignition switch? Possibly another relay like the Starter Cut relay?
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 06:54 AM

Don't you mean ECM, not ICM? I believe your ECM (computer) is fine. You are getting close to solving the problem, so don't give up.

. Try this:

Disconnect main relay connector, turn ignition switch to START (clutch pedal must be depressed), and measure voltage between Terminal 6 (to Starter Switch) and ground. If there's still no voltage, repair an open in the wire between the main relay and the Starter Signal Fuse.

. Test the fuel pump, if all of the above checks out:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post234818

Apr 23, 2009, 12:14 AM
    Don't you mean ECM, not ICM? I believe your ECM (computer) is fine.
    No I meant Ignition Control Module, I thought it might have something to do with the starter signal power,

Disconnect main relay connector, turn ignition switch to START (clutch pedal must be depressed), and measure voltage between Terminal 6 (to Starter Switch) and ground. If there's still no voltage, repair an open in the wire between the main relay and the Starter Signal Fuse.
    When you say start do you mean turn the key all the way or just position II or I? I tried this in Position I and II and got no voltage, but I was apprehensive about turning the key all the way... I guess I should have.

Test the fuel pump, if all of the above checks out:
    How do I get the rear seat out? I removed the one 10mm bolt from lower cushion but the seat won't budge. I did see what looked like a pump behind the passenger side in the trunk, but I didn't think that was it.

Thank you for all of your replies... I will post when this is fixed and will show the appropriate gratitude to you:)
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 06:16 AM

. No, the ICM doesn't affect starter signal power.

. Depress clutch and turn the ignition switch all the way, as if you were trying to start the car.

. You'll have to use your own judgment regarding the rear seat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda del sol 93 won't start after been parked for a couple months [ 3 Answers ]

My honda del sol 93 won't start it was sitting on the driveway for the cold months (probably like 6 months) I have bought a new battery, I do have a spark, the main relay does click twice, the fuses are all OK, I put new gas on the car since the gas has been there for all the time that the car was...

98 accord won't start [ 2 Answers ]

98 accord won't start, drove home and now it turns over but just won't run

Mower won't start after sitting for several months [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 year old riding mower won't start after sitting unused for several months. It has a new battery and is trying to start. I have had no previous problems with the mower. I'm no mechanic but believe that it simply needs to be primed (i.e. needs a little gas in the carburetor). Can anyone...

Accord won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 00 accord lx. Car was running great no check engine light on. Tried to start it this morning cranks but doesn't turn. Help

View more questions Search