Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Apr 12, 2009, 10:41 PM
    Compaq recovery drive
    I had my file system open in vista, trying to delete old schoolwork, and noticed that the recovery drive is showing close to full with a red bar icon, instead of the normal green. I haven'y been saving or doing anything with the recovery drive. In fact I tried to go in and make room, and it would not let me. Is there any way I can clear it up before it becomes a problem?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Apr 13, 2009, 08:17 AM

NO!! Leave it alone. The recovery drive is a partition of the main drive. They create the partition to be almost exactly the size needed to store the Recovery Install. THere is no need to touch anything in it (unless you need to restore :) )
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Apr 13, 2009, 02:33 PM

This morning, I turn on the thing, and the ruler bar is now back to green, and it says that there is .99 GB free of 9.47 GB. I wonder why it did that last night, and fixed itself today? I didn't run any utility software last night, although I plan on running Advanced System Care tonight, as part of my scheduled maintenance.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Apr 14, 2009, 05:45 AM

One GB is considered low space now.. lol Windows SHOULD see it as a recovery drive and ignore it if its low. My wife's PC has this and windows ignores it... my sons PC complains every other day that the D drive is low. I hate it. How about PC companies GIVE YOU A DVD or CD like they used to! Lol
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 14, 2009, 01:38 PM

You CAN, IF you want, run the recovery manager, Google it, and it will allow you to create a complete system restore to DVD and then using the same recovery manager, you can increase/decrease or remove all together the recovery partition. Once you make the recovery/restore disks, if you need to restore from disk the recovery partition will automatically be recreated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compaq System Recovery [ 6 Answers ]

Ok so I noticed my cpu was getting a little cluttered and full of junk so I decided to reset it. No not to a earlier date, but to factory settings. Now it retained some of my original programs which I use So that's fine. Although my available memory hasn't changed. I have a 160GB or memory and I...

Can Non Compaq HD be used as C Drive in Compaq Evo W4000? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Compaq Evo W4000 with an 18gig hard drive for the main hard drive and this is not big enough. I've been told there is some kind of proprietary thing on the compaq brand HD's that make only them work with the computer. Can I use an off brand HD to do a fresh install of windows? Or if not...

Compaq System Recovery [ 3 Answers ]

My HP Compaq Presario SR1650NX totally crashed last February. Somehow, a friend, taking 8 hours, got it back to working but it has now become insane. I decided to do a system recovery and printed out instructions from Google. I'm kind of nervous about it but I also have a Gateway PC connected to...

Compaq presario recovery [ 7 Answers ]

I made some recovery discs, when I load them up, it comes up to a window that asks to restart or shutdown. I restart the computer and all I get is a black screen with the cursor in the upper left hand corner. I have tried every key on the keyboard and nothing happens. What should I try to do?

View more questions Search