Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dx4530 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Poor posture
    whats the best way to correct poor posture with out going to a doctor (I was by a doctor he told me I don't need a brace & he gave me some exercises that didn't help) did anyone do or knows someone that did exercise that effectively corrected he/her posture?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 04:59 AM

You may want to consider a visit to a chiropractor and be sure all is well physically to start with. Exercises may help, but as with anything you want to change, it will take time... don't expect results right away.

Being aware is going to be the best thing... focus a great deal on correcting your posture when you walk, stand, and sit... shoulders comfortably back, lift ribcage, chest up. It may help to picture your spine attached to a pole that holds you upright or that you have a string attached to your head that is pulling you upward. Focusing on it for several weeks will help it to start becoming automatic. It will also help your muscles retrain to better support you in the improved position.
    You can get a brace on your own as well without having to go through your doctor. It might be helpful for awhile so that you can better tell what good posture feels like and then you can better recognize when you start to slouch or slump.
    If you want, you might also ask friends and family members to politely remind you if they happen to notice poor posture (might be wise to give them a time limit, such as reminding you for 3 months, or you will keep hearing about it! )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Posture [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with bad posture correction. I have always had bad posture! I really want to correct it before it's to late. My back is always killing me! I work in an office and sit at a desk and I know this doesn't help! Any suggestions would help!

What is static posture? 5 areas? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I think this question has been asked of another but no reply so here goes - What are the 5 areas of static posture, and what would be considered 'ideal' in these areas?

Correcting my posture [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can improve my posture? I have a bad habit of not sitting up straight or I walk with my shoulders bent forward. Can I somehow help myself with this problem before I turn into the hunchback of notre dame... I am in my upper 20's. Any advise is appreciated.

My poor dog [ 2 Answers ]

My pet pug dog has a large belly not fat lage ,but it looks inflated he also gags very loudlyhes 9 years old he is not nudered eats and drinks easly we think it's a kiddney failure but he isn't able to take a b.m. what should I do and what's his sickness

View more questions Search