Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    51501865 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Beginning of life
    When, scientificaly, does the life of an individual begin?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2009, 06:49 PM

Here is a note that may generate some discussion and debate.

1. The metabolic view. There is no point when life begins. The sperm cell and egg cell are as alive as any other organism.

2. The genetic view. A new individual is created at fertilization. This is when the genes from the two parents combine to form an individual with unique properties.

3. The embryological view. In humans, identical twinning can occur as late as day 12 PC. Such twinning produces two individuals with different lives. Even conjoined ("Siamese") twins can have different personalities. Thus, a single individuality is not fixed earlier than day 12. (In religious terms, the two individuals have different souls). Some medical texts consider the stages before this time as a "pre-embryonic". This view is expressed by scientists such as Renfree (1982) and Grobstein (1988) and has been endorsed theologically by Ford (1988), Shannon and Wolter (1990), and McCormick (1991), among others. (Such a view would allow contraception, "morning after pills", and contragestational agents, but not abortion after two weeks).

4. The neurological view. Our society has defined death as the loss of the cerebral EEG (electroencephalogram) pattern. Conversely, some scientists have thought that the acquisition of the human EEG (at about 27 weeks) be defined as when a human life has begun. This view has been put forth most concretely by Morowitz and Trefil (1992). (This view and the ones following would allow mid-trimester abortions).

5. The ecological/technological view. This view sees the human life as beginning when it can exist separately from its maternal biological environment. The natural limit of viability occurs when the lungs mature, but technological advances can now enable a premature infant to survive at about 25 weeks gestation. (This is the view currently operating in many states. Once a fetus can be potentially independent, it cannot be aborted).

6. The immunological view. This view sees human life as beginning when the organism recognizes the distinction between self and non-self. In humans, this occurs around the time of birth.

7. The integrated physiological view. This sees human life as beginning when it has become independent of the mother and has its own functioning circulatory system, alimentary system, and respiratory system. This is the traditional birthday when the baby is born into the world and the umbilical cord is cut.

Taken from: When human life begins

Sarah

This is my theory: If a fetus cannot live outside the birth mother then its life has not yet begun. The second a baby can live on its own, its life begins.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2009, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 51501865 View Post
    when, scientificaly, does the life of an individual begin?
    The answer depends on the definition of life, which is very hard to do scientifically.

Once you have a definition of life, then your question is fairly easy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

How do you get the beginning owners equity [ 1 Answers ]

If the ending owner's equity of $4,013, additional investments of $2,585 withdrawals of $1,114, and net loss $2,893.

Aah the life... [ 2 Answers ]

Staying at Deer Creek State Park, out in the middle of nowhere (I thought)... doing some computer work while the kids are traipsing around outside looking for bugs, spiders and snakes... and lo and behold I get a message "there is a wireless network in range"!! An amazing world we live in, aye?

My life [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a lot of dreams in my life and I finally want to move forward and make something of my life.Do you see me making any of my dreams reality and will my life turn out OK or end up worse. Thanks in advance

View more questions Search