Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vidisha Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 01:38 AM
    Not concentrate during meditation
    Dear Sir,
    I started to do meditation recently.What I do is just watch my breathe inhale and exhale.Secondly sometimes I do osho dynamic meditation but I feel I am wasting my time as I don't see any improvement in myself.I started this I have lack of concentration and to improve concentration I started meditation and also my mind wanders here and there during meditation.
    Please suggest me two things
    1) Whether I am going on right path i.e to improve concentration I am doing meditation
    2)How I start the meditation i.e what are the steps and methods for a beginner
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Sep 13, 2006, 04:04 PM
    If you just want to relax you can listen very quietly to some soothing music, just instrumental or seascapes sounds. I even like pet music.
    Now, if you are looking for meditation like Buddhists partake in, I can't help, but look up some stuff by Wayne W. Dyer. He has at least one book out on meditation.
    For me meditation is like this:
    You 1st get into a comfortable position & possibly outside where you can hear the sounds of nature. Now concentrate on breathing & relaxing slowly. And clear your mind. Breathe in & sense the breath of life that is in the trees, allways picturing that object. How wonderful everything is. Keep on doing this very slowly with each object or focal point you name, always being happy about where you are.Keep your thoughts clear, all is positive in the universe. Keep feeling more relaxed & calmer. You can say some sounds that are monotonic. You should be able to relax your muscles. Doing this for 30-40 minutes does wonders for one's outlook & physical health also.
    jayeshvd Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2006, 12:38 AM
    http://jayeshdedhiaa.blogspot.com/
    diya Posts: 303, Reputation: 62

May 18, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Meditation is not about concentration at all... contrary to belief... it is all about being with oneself... your soul. To meditate u really need time to yourself. Concentrating on a particular object or on oneself... does not come on its own. It requires perseverance and one week at least. So don't give up if you're not able to meditate in the first few days. As your body starts getting used to you being connected to yourself, it will automatically get tuned in. Now to start with, play some nice music... best if you can use OM as in the background... place your palms facing outward and keep looking at an Object for a certain period. During this time, take a deep breath.. hold it for 3 sec and exhale. Do this regularly... and you'l get there... and amazing journey to an entire different world of peace within... just have faith and determination.
    nareshji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Hi guys I'm for this site!!
    Yes, I've also found same situation as vidisha sufferd, I do, vipashyana and chakra sometime, it is very tranqulity moments after doing these,whatsoever!
    But what happened to me is, while I do chakra listing the sound and follow the instruction voice, I alternatively found the vital point for example sometime I find only five and sometime 4 or 3.
    I never felt first chakra anyway!
    dhyan Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 08:10 AM

Meditation is not concentration. It's a myth.
    Meditation does not improve concentration.

But meditation can help in studies in a different way - that is you can be relax, more at ease.
    And no one can learn any thing while one is tense.

My suggestion is don't mix meditation and concentration.
    If you want to increase concentration only then Tratak will be helpful but learn it otherwise you might damage your eye sight and 2ndly don't leave meditation as it help you tremendously in your life.

If you want to continue Vipassana Meditation then do read Osho discourses on VIpassana Meditation Technique

Wishing you all the best
    Regards
    nithyanda Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jun 4, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Drop all your fantesies and live life without daydreaming contionuously for about 1 month and you will know what to do. Simply relax from both material and spiritual life. That means don't have any thoughts about them at all and just keep doing this and you will not ask questions but instead will answer questions and much much more oh and yes listen to your inner feel alwase do whatever it is you feel like to .

Bliss is yours to share
    Iamaum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 02:25 AM
    Hi,
    All these things will be effective if it is done under the guidance of a true guru. Join Yogoda Satsanga Society of India. You will start getting lessons in your address after you join. Practise and feel the difference.

For more information visit Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda,Yogoda Satsanga Society of India(YSS)

Quote Originally Posted by vidisha View Post
    Dear Sir,
    I started to do meditation recently.What i do is just watch my breathe inhale and exhale.Secondly sometimes i do osho dynamic meditation but i feel i am wasting my time as i dont see any improvement in myself.I started this i have lack of concentration and to improve concentration i started meditation and also my mind wanders here and there during meditation.
    suggest me two things
    1) Whether i am going on right path i.e to improve concentration i am doing meditation
    2)How i start the meditation i.e what are the steps and methods for a begginer
    nithyanda Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jun 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Yes that is true we whould have a true guru but a true guru is knowledge so it can be human not human, a book or even your own inner self or what we call intuition which is the divine inside guideing you. Just do meditation and to know how or other questions can be answered if you go to Google and type in meditation guru and click on the first site that comes up look and find how to do meditation or any other questions or if very un popular question you can email it to [email protected] and he will tell you if he feels and when you meditate he can guide you if you tell him your experience after each meditation session which is whatever you have felt.
    Autumn953 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
    Ok so you have narrowed it down to meditation. By now you know what you need to do to find YOU. Where you are at. Right?

You know YOU are not your body, you HAVE a body, Pretty easy to confirm, as sometimes YOU are caught saying, my foot hurts or my entire body hurts.

You know YOU are not your mind, you HAVE a mind. Again, you sometimes are caught saying, "my mind is going crazy or my mind does not work that way".

Mind thinks, period. You have a mind. You are not the mind. YOU know what your mind is thinking about. YOU know when your mind is thinking a lot. You know when your mind just wandered away. You know EVERYTHING. Yet, you can't yet control it, hence, you meditate.

It is when you begin to meditate you realise how seamless thoughts actually are. Although, they are that seamless round the clock, only you realise their frequency during meditation, because that is when you become aware of it. So, remember that you ALWAYS think that much or even more, lol.

Now you don't want your mind to think about anything random while meditating, right? So give it some work to do, something of YOUR choice, it is that busy bee that wants work even when there isn't any.

The work in this case is... "Mind watch my body breathing"

The mind will do that for a couple of breaths (or even less) and then get bored and begin its usual antics... lol. But YOU are the boss. Bosses have to be nice to be heard. So gently shepherd your mind back to... "Breath please."

The mind will do that again before wandering off once again... keep at it. Slowly reducing the words to bring it back.. . say "Breath" and then eventually... saying nothing, simply an eye gesture or not even that.

You will notice it's not working. The mind just won't listen. But, by now the distinction between YOU and your mind is quite clear. You want your mind to mind the breath and it won't listen. There is two of you. This means meditation has succeeded in determining what you are NOT. Progress.

This time give your mind a simpler task. Ask him to look for YOU.

Do all the above with a blindfold and some earplugs.

You will hear sounds like breathing, crickets/night sounds (tinnitus), or something like church bells in the deeper background (don't worry if you don't), perhaps your pulse ticking in your ears. You will see murky colour blobs like a lava lamp, sometimes the field of vision will become very dark and sometimes it will be a little brighter. All this will be happening in that present moment, together with that unforgiving stream of thoughts. And who is witnessing all this?

The mind will be looking for the one witnessing. It will look for it like the old grand dad who has lost his glasses that are on his head. It will babble random stuff, swear at grand ma, blame it on you for misplacing them, it will talk about gardening it did last morning, it will give up looking, it will think about childhood, it will babble about a recent headline, it will try to look for you again, it will say screw you "I don't care", it will think about buying a new car... it will not find YOU. Just like grand dad can rarely remember that the glasses are on his head. The mind will NEVER look for you HERE and NOW. It will look for you in the past, in the future, over 'there'.

Meditation by now is pretty successful for you, because, your mind just played in your hands while you watched.

A game of Hide and Seek. To make this more interesting give it instructions such as... warm, hot, cold, burning... etc. like kids do when playing this game.

And now for the drumroll... This entire exercise was mental. Mind looking and mind not looking, mind instructing, mind all the way manifesting as thoughts. It was all thoughts, thoughts, thoughts. In all their glory. So what was NOT a thought?

YOU BEING THERE JUST... BEING.

Hugs
    Autumn

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any side effect of doing GYM exercise after meditation [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am regularly doing OSHO DYNAMIC MEDITATION for one hour during 6.00am to 7.00 am.Then I start GYM exercise for muscular development from 7:15 to 08:00 a.m.Would any side effect happenedof doing exercise after meditation.Is it prescribed? vibhor

Yoga levels of meditation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please give a good basic explanation of the types and levels of Yoga meditation?

View more questions Search