Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2009, 10:17 AM
    3000 of jewerly stold
    Hi my wife thinks her jewerly was stolden form vegas last week... we live in balto md... can that be clained on homeoweners policy?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2009, 10:21 AM

Depends on the type of coverage you have. Some homeowners policies would cover it. Other might have required a specific rider for jewelry.

Contact your insurance agent!

I'm curious though as to how your wife can "think" the jewelry was stolen. Either its missing or it isn't. Whether its stolen or lost may matter little to the insurance coverage.

Apr 12, 2009, 10:27 AM

She thinks the maid stold it... tks for answer...

Apr 12, 2009, 10:29 AM
    I don't have any riders... just a replacement cost from allstate... tks

Apr 12, 2009, 10:29 AM

Did you file a police report? Frankly, I doubt if a maid in a hotel is going to risk their job for $3K worth of jewelry.

Apr 12, 2009, 10:32 AM

Tks... I think your right... but I can't talk to the wife about it
    I think its still packed away somewhere... tks

Apr 12, 2009, 10:34 AM

Well then you need to make sure before you file an an insurance claim.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2009, 03:18 PM

Often homeowners' policies have a specific limit that will cover stolen jewelry (usually around $1500). This loss is also subject to your deductible so you'd have to decide if it'd be worth it to file a claim.

As Scott says, you need to be sure that it wasn't misplaced before you proceed. Most carriers require that a police report be filed in situations claiming theft. You would also be responsible for providing documentation as to the value of the missing pieces.

If by chance you find the jewelry, it'd be advantageous to look into setting up a separate Personal Articles Policy for your jewelry. These policies are relatively cheap for the coverage they provide, can have a $0 deductible and will cover the items whether lost or stolen. A homeowner's policy only covers theft/ mysterious disappearance.

These are separate from your homeowner's policy and provide more coverage rather than adding the endorsement onto your home policy. Plus for future reference, it won't count as a strike against you if you have to file a claim on the separate policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crafts/Jewerly making [ 6 Answers ]

Does anybody know where I can get free catalogs on Jewerly Making?

My neighbor stolen jewerly [ 4 Answers ]

Someone broke into my neighbor's house and stole her expensive jewelry. She did not keep any record of the jewelry. She has made a police report. I'm guessing that the homeowners policy will pay, to certain limits and possible a deductible. Do you agree?

Craftman DLT 3000 [ 1 Answers ]

Push in the brake to start it will start but when you let the brake off it stalls out

View more questions Search