Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BlackSkinGirl Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Glycolic Acid Peels harmful regarding Afro-American/ Darker Skin Complexion?
    :eek::confused:
    Just researching.
    Are chemical/ acidic peels harmful on dark brown skin complexions.
    Are Blacks more susceptible to have problems/ injuries.

Keloids, scarring, etc?
    Meagan91 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Deep peels like TCA or phenol can cause scarring or hypo/hyperpigmentation. However glycolic acid might be fine for you. I add some citric and glycolic acid to my cream.
    Start with a low percentage and then work your way up.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 08:29 PM

Good advice megan, some people have good results with glycolic peels others have quit the opposite, you never know how your skin will react until you try so to be safe its always good to start low as megan stated

Gl
    krazycee07 Posts: 86, Reputation: 4
    -

Apr 12, 2009, 01:05 AM

Glycolic acid peel are 100% natural, it comes straight from a sugar cane, like meagan said tca peels can be dangerous to anyone's skin no matter what race you are, depending on how high the percentage is, I'm brown skin and I use glycolic acid peels weekly and my skin has never looked better!!
    mepk5 Posts: 371, Reputation: 6

Apr 12, 2009, 01:23 AM

I ve had several peels about 20%. Only one peel went deep so deep I looked like a burn victim. I didn't leave the house for 3 days. I ddnt pick at the flaking. I was fine. I was told if u pick the peeling skin. It will leave dark marks
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mepk5 View Post
    I ve had several peels about 20%. Only one peel went deep so deep I looked like a burn victim. I didn't leave the house for 3 days. I ddnt pick at the flaking. I was fine. I was told if u pick the peeling skin. it will leave dark marks
    Burn victim:eek::eek: sounds scary but did the skin recover a look nice after the initial trauma
    mepk5 Posts: 371, Reputation: 6

Apr 14, 2009, 04:41 PM

Of course that what peels do kind of like retin a
    The small dots flake off.
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Oct 10, 2009, 01:34 PM

I've had wonderful results with glycolic peels. Recently, I've started doing them myself but only 35%. Anything higher I'm not comfortable doing on my own.

With regular glys my skin feels better, looks more even, seems to react to moisturizers and treatments better too.
    MissJazzy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 12:25 AM

Where do you get the at home glycolic peels? I thought they could only be done at a dr.'s office or a medspa
    Gr8stuff Posts: 197, Reputation: 8

Dec 2, 2009, 05:41 AM

You can get them on eBay and Amazon... Make sure you buy from reputable sellers... There's also a few websites that sell it... like for instance, makeupartistschoice...
    stacymica Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Dec 3, 2009, 07:45 PM

Yeah megan is right I went to a dermatologists who told me that for darker skin and for those who tend to keloid deep peels like TCA and phenol are not done. They will burn your face and scar it. But a light fruit or aha peel is safe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amazed With Results! Glycolic Acid and Kojic Acid [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, I have wriiten some posts before on this subject. I got three emails from people I supplied my information with. There are two products you need to get for hand and face. One is glycolic acid cream (10%) also kojic acid. The Kojic acid can be founf in Palmers Skin Success Section. It will...

Glycolic acid [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that glycolic acid crem can remove old scar?what kind of glycolic acid cream will I buy?where can I buy it? Help me!need your advice!:(

Glycolic peels and Hot areas [ 1 Answers ]

I've a question, I'm living in Europe and the climate in summer is not as hot as in India... I'm using Glycolic peels will it make my skin too sensitive to the very hot wheather... wot should I do... guide me

View more questions Search