Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mattg2 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Should I use a resume?
    I've only had four jobs, and am about to graduate highshool - but I'm tired of constantly filling out long job applications.

I made a resume, with everything I've had - would that be "awkward" to submit that seeing how I'm a senior in high school, with only four jobs so far?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:44 AM

No,a resume is always good to have.
    Get some on line instruction and makes yours stand out.
    You really need to make it pop and it's a good thing to have.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:10 PM

Be sure to keep on Word or somewhere a master resume listing ALL the jobs you've ever had with responsibilities, companies worked for, dates. You will be so happy you have kept this up to date. Later, if you apply for an IT job, you would cull all the computer-related work you've done. Same for a teaching job--cull all the teaching/tutoring/child-related jobs you've had. My monster master resume lists all my teaching, library, counseling, and writing jobs, so it would be easy for me to whip up a resume for a customer service job or for a nanny job.

Businesses/companies still want the application filled out; a resume won't replace that, but the resume can be your guide for filling out the app plus then clip your resume to the completed app. If your resume is done well and very targeted, it just might be the reason you get the interview.

Now, since you asked, be sure to have an Accomplishments section at the top of your resume. Even though you are young without many jobs, you certainly have "accomplished" things in ways that will help future employers know you can not only make them money, but also save them money. Let me know if you want more info.

(job coach since 1985)
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Apr 11, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Matt,

A resume is essential. Businesses won't take you seriously without it.

Make it one page if possible. Get right to the essentials, no fluff, no duplication. They will be reading it very fast, scanning actually, so lots of words will cause them to skip over what you say.

Do not pump it up with BS. This will backfire, sooner or later. Just put your real work history, academic history, job goals, a little about you personally, and prominent contact information. You are where you are, age and experience-wise, and they don't expect you to be ahead of that.

Like Artlady says, do a web search on writing resumes and learn how to make yours stand out and read well. Colored paper, a photo, a nice layout, clever wordsmithing are examples that you might use.

Do spell checks, read it aloud as you improve it, and have several people proof read it. Then repeat the process.

The only thing worst than typos or misspellings is false or exaggerated information.

Get feedback on it from someone in business.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taoplr View Post
    Colored paper, a photo, a nice layout, clever wordsmithing are examples that you might use.
    No, no, no, no!!
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Apr 11, 2009, 12:46 PM

Maybe you are right about that, Wonder. It's been a while since I needed a resume, and the ones I see are all corporate white. But at the post-high school level, what do you suggest to make it stand out?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taoplr View Post
    Maybe you are right about that, Wonder. It's been a while since I needed a resume, and the ones I see are all corporate white. But at the post-high school level, what do you suggest to make it stand out?
    I AM right!!

To make his resume stand out, he should put in an Accomplishments section right at the top under his name and address information. The one-page resume should have more white space than black text, and be very easy to read, very consistent (verb phrases throughout), 12-point text, one font only.
    Mattg2 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 12:56 PM
    This is all extremely helpful information, especially props to you Wondergirl ;)

Are you sure placing an objective/goals section is necessary? I read that's actually not such a good idea.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I AM right!!!

To make his resume stand out, he should put in an Accomplishments section right at the top under his name and address information. The one-page resume should have more white space than black text, and be very easy to read, very consistent (verb phrases throughout), 12-point text, one font only.
    A resume expert!

Good,it is a very important tool and everyone should know how to do a good one.Improve on it over the years, but get the first one under your belt.

Isn't resume writing taught in high school.Job skills class ? I would hope so.

When I said make it pop I did not mean glamor! Make it easy to read because the employer is scanning them basically to get one that is as Wondergirl so aptly explained.

Good job.. I bet Yes we can was your slogan:)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattg2 View Post
    This is all extremely helpful information, especially props to you Wondergirl ;)

Are you sure placing an objective/goals section is necessary? I read that's actually not such a good idea.
    Glad to help!

No Objective section goes on the resume (is usually totally useless drivel anyway). Incorporate that small amount of info (your company-oriented objective/goals) in your cover letter which will be only three parargraphs long.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattg2 View Post
    Accomplishments, not Objectives (what you have done, not what you think you want to do, e.g. "grow with the company in order to become a better person" *gag*).

Accomplishments should be measurable, factual ways you helped a business cut costs, improved workflow, saved money, specifically improved customer service.

* Increased sales by 50 percent over the previous year.
    * Produced total meal sales 20 percent higher than those of the other servers in the restaurant.
    * Supervised staff of 25.
    * Served a customer base of 150, the largest on firm's customer-service team.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get my past work history to fill out a resume

Resume [ 2 Answers ]

To whom it may Concern; I am looking for a "Good" resume template of which I can just fill in the blanks. I have Word 2007 and I'm not quite used to utilizing all of it's features. I have gone through Microsoft's Templates although I've yet to find anything I care for. I am an "out of work,...

I need resume help, please! [ 3 Answers ]

All right well this year I'm a senior, and I want to go to school for radiology. But the problem is... im not really sure on how to write a resume. And that's the only thing stopping me from starting my applications. I already have my letters of recommendation... but they need a resume and I don't...

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How to make an effective resume?

View more questions Search