Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medotech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 01:19 PM
    Asylum
    Hi all,
    I recently helped a relative who was been persecuted back in our home country to apply for assylum and it was successful.I am a social activist that try to do my best to help people suffering injustices back home in africa.I am a student here in the United States but I have gotten into trouble myself for helping her and now I am bared from my own hometown and threatened with phisical harm if I ever set foot there.Someone attacked my home and it was set on fire.I am really scared now that I will be persecuted and even loose my life if I ever set foot back home.I don't know what to do and I was wondering if I myself will be eligible for aylum to save my life.I am in the US legally as an international student.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 10, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Individuals being persecuted in their home countries may apply for asylum, refugee status or temporary protected status in the United States. The fact that the person is suffering economical hardship is not considered a well-funded reason for applying for asylum or refugee status in the United States.
    There is a difference between Asylum and Refugee Status:
    Asylum: Individuals already physically present in the U.S. may apply for asylum, provided they meet the definition of a refugee and are not barred by law from applying for or being granted asylum.
    Refugee: A refugee is a person unable or unwilling to return to his or her native country due to a well-founded fear of persecution or because the person's life or freedom would be threatened. To apply for refugee status, the applicant must be physically located outside the United States.
    Important: One year after legally becoming an asylee or refugee in the United States, the applicant may apply for a Green Card and eventually for United States Citizenship.

There are package available to help in situation similar to your... www.usimmigrationsupport.org

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search