Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    changeofpace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Stored friends property/held property due to no payment
    I rented a storage unit and allowed a friend to use the unit. Told the friend to remove property by a certain time. (all of this is verbal) The friend was supposed to pay half and never did. I closed the unit recently and they contacted me for return of their property threatened to file a police report against me and sue me. At what step do I take this further. The unit was not located in the county we are in now. Do I have to file there or here, and do they have gounds for criminal, or can I hold in lieu of payment. I can prove that I have paying the entire time for the unit.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 08:20 AM

What did you do with their property when you closed the unit? Did you leave it in the unit or take it with you?

If you are in possession of the property, send your friend a certified letter stating that you are still awaiting their half of the payment as they agreed to do. Inform them that you will return their property once you receive payment for their use of the unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord and loose dog on leased property, doesn't property go with the lease house? [ 31 Answers ]

I lease a house that has a front yard and a backyard and a legal apartment off to the side. My landlord and his dog live in his apt in the garage that I do not think is legal. When we moved in he told us he would be moving in a few months. Before he moved he let his big german sheperd mix run...

Payment for Propane in tank during Property Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home in Dec. '07 and did not move in until May '08. The home is heated by propane and there are 2 tanks on the property that were leased from a propane company. At the time of purchase, the propane in the tanks was paid for by the previous owner and transferred to me. ...

Liens on property stored at a facility [ 8 Answers ]

How do I pursue placing a lien on someone's property that is stored at my storage facility. They are over 4 months late in paying rent and have also accrued late fees. They have just recently responded to a letter, after 4 months of trying to get a hold of them. All attempts are documented and...

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

Can I lien a CA property held by a Family Trust? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a beneficiary to my deceased mother's trust. My brothers feel they have paid me in full for my interests in the remainder of the trust's assets, which includes a half section of property in CA. They have told me that I will have to sue the Trust if I am planning to get any further...

View more questions Search