Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    8464 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Is he wanting more than a friendship?
    This guy I met at work has really got me wondering. We hit it off right away and we had only talked once and he started to wink at me and smile a lot. He is not married and we have had a very unusual relationship. He told me he was a recovering alcoholic and that he has been married twice. His exes used him to get out of the relationships they were in. He then since has cleaned up his act with AA and with help from other friends from work and I. I started giving him cards that said that he was a gift from God and that he should not hang on to the past. I also told him I would never leave him like some of his friends who did leave him. I said I would be his life preserver. He thanked me for all the support. He has not had a drink for 4 yrs now and has really come out of his shell. When he was going through all of this he still worried about me and the health issues I was going through. He stated we are nothing but co-workers, yet he is trying hard to not show it but I believe that he does want more then friendship. He gets upset that other guy friends hug me or talks to me. When he comes to work and does not see me right away, he paces back and forth and when he finally sees me he calms down. He also says hi to me and kids around with me like we used to in the beginning. He tries hard not to show it, but I believe he cares for me more than he is letting on. The other things he has done, when my uncle passed away, he said he was sorry for my loss. When I called in one day to work, I was speaking with mike about getting that day off as they found a friend off mine near a dumpster from natural causes. The guy I like TIM grabbed the phone from Mike and was asking if I was OK. He is interested in the artwork I do. And he is so concerned with what happens in my life. However, when I have asked him to go for coffee or come to dinner at my place with other friends he has refused. Now, we found out that we are losing our jobs and he was afraid of telling me he was moving back home. Yet, he has been complimenting me on things and he also shouts my name when he comes in to work, others have heard this and they notice he comes by my desk quite often and/or looks in my direction often. But he has never asked me out and I gave him a book that I made as a joke and to thank him for all he has done for me. When we accidentally meet face to face, we just stand there and look at each other. He has a great smile and has been on top of the world lately. Have I lost it or is he trying to tell me something>
    starlite1 Posts: 753, Reputation: 58

Apr 10, 2009, 09:04 AM

Hi 8464,

Welcome to AMHD! It really sounds like he is interested in you, but, he may be gun-shy for the fact that his past marriages left him real hurt. He is being stand-offish, and there really isn't anything more you can do. I mean you have invited him for coffee, etc and he declines. Actually, when he does decline, what are his reasons? I'm just curious.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 10:18 AM

He stated we are nothing but co-workers, yet he is trying hard to not show it but I believe that he does want more then friendship.
    Take him at his word, and stop seeing more, because thats what YOU want from him.

Your whole post is about your feelings and your assumptions of what he feels.

Sorry, but this is you not dealing with what he has already told you. His action, or lack of them, only leads one to believe your to far ahead of the facts.

Apr 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starlite1 View Post
    Hi 8464,

Welcome to AMHD! It really sounds like he is interested in you, but, he may be gun-shy for the fact that his past marriages left him real hurt. He is being stand-offish, and there really isn't anything more you can do. I mean you have invited him for coffee, etc and he declines. Actually, when he does decline, what are his reasons? I'm just curious.
    He is not standoffish any more, as we are back to where we were before he was avoiding me. Does not give a reason, however, for the most part our work schedule is in conflict.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 11:18 AM

I think he values you highly as a friend but I don't see any indication that he is willing to take it any further.

In your desire to make this more than what it is,you are guessing at his actions and seeing what you want to see.

Be glad you have a friend who truly cares for you.

Apr 10, 2009, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I think he values you highly as a friend but I don't see any indication that he is willing to take it any further.

In your desire to make this more than what it is,you are guessing at his actions and seeing what you want to see.

Be glad you have a friend who truly cares for you.
    Why then does he get upset when other guys are near me, when they hug me and when I received flowers from my friend? Why does he loose color in his face when I talk of other guy friends. Why does he hug me and has gotton so close like he wants to hug me. Why does he watch every move I make? I am not dreaming this up, nor am I the only one who sees this.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 03:00 PM

Just because a guy shows signs of interest, doesn't mean his motives are as you say, of romantic interests.

Look all I'm saying is, keep your eyes open, and be aware he is a co worker.

Its up to you to be objective and find out what he is thinking.

Yes all the signs you have observed could be that of friendship, or the attraction of an immature fellow who has trouble with his feelings.

Co worker, to friends, to dating, and romance is a to big of a step for anyone to take without a lot of thought, and investigation of the facts.

All you have are assumptions, based on your point of view, and not a green light, or promise of something good, or healthy.

I get you have feelings, and are attracted, but don't be impulsive, or impatient, or oblivious to the red flags, you work with this guy.

Sorry, you want someone to say go for it, I wish I could. Most workplace relationships are disasters waiting to happen.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Most workplace relationships are disasters waiting to happen.
    From past experiences I've had, this is 100% truth. I couldn't agree more
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Apr 10, 2009, 04:04 PM
    He might be clean and sober for four years, but he is still prone to addiction. It sounds like he is addicted to you, but has reservations about showing up in a relationship, or self-doubt in general or other reasons to obsess over you while staying away from taking the relationship further.

You like each other, but his behavior says that his inner conflict has him short-circuited. Are you his "life preserver?" Part of his support system? Support, but with fantasies of intimacy? A potential mate? He might not know. His physiological signs, like losing facial color when you talk about other men, getting upset when guys are near you, and pacing until he sees you all indicate TROUBLE.

Be a friend. Give time for both of you to mature what you feel about each other. If you take the relationship further, be prepared for a complicated, conflicted roller-coaster with poor prospects for stability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend went from wanting the relationship to not wanting anything so serious [ 11 Answers ]

A little confused right now, because we've been in a relationship for 4 months now and she is just now saying she doesn't want a serious relationship now, because she doesn't want to have to be completely committed to a relationship 24/7. Saying that she would like to be able to have time to do...

Getting Over The End Of A Friendship [ 2 Answers ]

I've decided recently that one of my friendships has deteriorated to the point where it is in my best emotional interest to cut it off. I can't stop being angry at him for taking advantage of my friendship but I'm too much of a coward to tell him I never want to speak to him again. Has anyone...

Looking for friendship. [ 14 Answers ]

:confused: I live in WV and in a community, I'm sorry to say is where I can't make friends. I swear to the Lord above that the people here are back-stabbing, liars, gossipers and drunks. My husband is in jail. I've been in WV for seven years and all I've done was work. I am not working now and...

Does he want more than friendship? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been friends with a guy for just over 4 months now, we met off the internet. He always texts me every week, and we usually go the movies and dinner. We get on really well together and have a lot of fun. The thing is, he's a very touchy feely guy and always has been for the time I've...

Now she only wants friendship? [ 10 Answers ]

We broke up 6 months ago, she was my first love, if I try the no contact for three weeks, she calls me, wanting to be just "friends" and talk about "friendly things"... we were together for 8 months long distance. I want her back, It literally makes me sick to think about her with new guys still....

View more questions Search