Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonypatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Statuate of limitations
    My husband here in phoenix is being held on a failure to appear charge in Indiana. He paid the fines and went through the program but the attorney did not appear for the pre trial conference. How do we keep the extradition from going through? Is there a statute of limitations on this?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
    The failure to appear charge would not have one. Statue of limitation is the time from when the crime happened to when you are charged with it.

So if he was charged with failure to appear the same day he did not appear, there would be a warrant issued, the warrant never expires.

There is no way to stop the extradition, you are better off spending your money on an attorney and arranging bail to the court he will go to.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Hello sonypatt:

The Padre is, of course, right on. You're hubby is headed for Indiana.

So, I'm going to address another issue. You may still be confused, or your husband is, or you're not getting the real story. I don't know. I don't care. That's not my point.

If an attorney failed to show up at a pre trial conference, it would NOT result in a warrant for your husband for "failure to appear" - certainly since it was the ATTORNEY who failed to appear - not your husband.

Next. If he paid the fines and went through the program, that means he WAS convicted, sentenced, punished and released (or escaped?? ). "Failure to appear" would mean that he never showed up in court to BE convicted in the first place. Of course, we know he was convicted.

In order to help, and I think you want to, you need the straight story. You don't have it. If there was an attorney, pick up the phone and call him...

excon

PS> (edited) Actually, if your husband DID complete his program, and this is just a GLICH (which I highly doubt), then hire a Phoenix attorney to straighten it out. Your hubby MIGHT be able to stay in town. Just watch out for Sheriff Joe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Long story short... I have autobody bills outstanding, I have been sent all the invoices for them with the dates. The earliest date being 2 years ago and last one 4 years ago, this is the first letter sent about this issue. They tell me they will take me to court. What is the statute of...

L1 Visa Limitations (Law, Tax, Etc.) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend who is now in USA and granted for working visa. However, his visa is L1, that is, he is an employee exchange by the foreign-counterpart of US company. Currently, the US company cannot offer any projects and he has been staying at home for 2 months. He would like to work...

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and 10 years ago my father got into an accident at work which left him unable to work, he didn't know english and so he couldn't find another job, the insurance company didn't give us a penny for 5 years and so we were forced to go on welfare. I was about 11 years old...

Statute of limitations [ 6 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations after taking chapter seven bankruptcy in the state of Illinois, for a second mortgage to be null if I have reafirmed on the 1st. Mortgage? I went bankrupt in 2001 I reafirmed on the initial mortgage and not on the 2nd. Can I ever sell the property without paying...

Statute of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

I went to renew my license in NY state and there is a hold from NM for a failure to appear for DWI from 1994.:eek: they said they" just updated their computers to add me to the system". The clerk I spoke to in NM said I "must pay bond" and "appear in NM" to resolve this issue.:mad: can I have...

View more questions Search