Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSUnderwater Divers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Pipe repair under slab
    Hi I own a 1 story home on a slab. Recently I've had trouble with the drain line that drains from the kitchen/laundry area. I rented a snake and broke the head off it and came back with clay mud on the end. I believe I have a broken pipe under the slab. The pipe is cast 1 1/2"-2" diameter. Judging from the pipes I can see and the main line that I recently dug up I believe they run like the picture below illustrates. Based on how far the snake went in I have marked where I believe the break to be. I was just curious as to what my options were for repair. Thanks in advance.

~Matthew Lomas
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Hi Matthew,

You only have one option open to you. And that's to take up the cement, bare then pipe and cut out the damaged section of pipe and replace usimg two No-Hub Couplings. Good luck, Tom
    MSUnderwater Divers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply tom. I was afraid of that but I've done worse.;)
    Any suggestions as to the best way to locate the break exactly?

~Matthew Lomas
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2006, 06:30 PM
    There's a company called Sleuth that locates slab leaks that we use. They come out, pinpoint the leak, break up the slab,bare the leak and bag the dirt. All the plumber has to do is repair it put back the dirt and patch the hole. They are a tad pricey but saves you from tearing up your floor looking for the leak. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burying a pipe in the slab [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Hi, I'm new here! I'm looking for information on who I would contact to get this done? I have a copper water pipe that feeds my outdoor hose sticking out of my concrete slab about 16" from the wall and 8" off the ground. I would like to get it buried and out of sight. Any ideas on...

Leaking drain pipe in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe coming from my sink that is backing up into my kitchen floor. It seems that has ate away at the concrete and the water is backing up through the damaged pipe through a hole located under my sink and bottom cabinets. I can see the where the water is coming out but I don't know...

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Disentegrated (Possibly Lead) pipe in concrete slab for S-trap [ 5 Answers ]

1-1/4 trap broke off level with the slab in my ground floor BR. Listening to bad advise, I tried prying away the remainder of the trap in the floor, now what appears to be soft soft lead pipe has tottally disintegrted and I see down to the dirt and the remainder of the pipe under the slab. I...

View more questions Search