Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    831catych Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 09:06 AM

Thank you so much all of you..!
    Well, I don't have 500.00 to 1,000 dollars to give them, we live week to week with my husband's job... That is why I thought the only way for me to pay it is by getting a job and make monthly payments on it..! Is so frustrating and confusing at this time for me, I want to learn more about this kind of judgements to see what my rights are and see if I can do it myself without paying anybody to help me with this. I hate not to be able to have a bank account or own nothing on my name at this point, I don't like the feeling and I have to take care of it one way or another.
    831catych Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Question: Is there a limit on the amount of a car that you own?? I don't own my car, we are making payments on it and is on my husbands name... but I want to know if somebody with this kind of case can own a car for a specific amount without the collectors taking it away??
    Also could somebody tell me if the court can "serve" somebody on the same judgement many times or only for the first time?? Can the collectors change the lien on accounts and change it to garnishing of waiges any time or do they have to wait a while to do so?? I am going to learn all about this because I don't want to be in this situation again, it ruins your life financially for a while and is terrible. Should I fight it with the State Attorney due to they are overcharging me?? The debt was much less than what they want to get out of me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2009, 09:37 AM

First, The issue with a car is simply how much its worth in comparison to the debt. If they can't sell the car and recover a large portion of the debt then its not worth the hassle to them.

Service only needs to be done once. Once a person is properly served and notified of the suit, there is no need to do it again for the same suit.

Once a judgement is obtained, the judgement holder can go after any assets they can find. If they find multiple bank accounts or a job in additiona to bank accounts they can get writ of executions against any or all of them until the debt is paid.

As for ovbercharging, its not unusual for a debt to double, triple or quadruple with interest and fees. So I'm not sure you can get away with an overcharge complaint.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 831catych View Post
    Question: Is there a limit on the amount of a car that you own??? I don't own my car, we are making payments on it and is on my husbands name... but I want to know if somebody with this kind of case can own a car for a specific amount without the collectors taking it away???
    Yes. Depending on the exemption statute for the particular state you are in, automotive exemptions are usually up to a set amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on my bank account [ 9 Answers ]

I currently have a lien on my account from a debtor. This lien was issued in GA. I live in NY and can not get to GA to go to court, what should I do? What is next?

Lien on bank account [ 4 Answers ]

11 years ago my wife had some dental work. We were dating but not married at the time. An attorney bought the debt from the dentist and had worked out a payment with my wife. We had to go into bankruptcy but the trustee dismissed the case after a few months. Now the attorney has put a lien on our...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I opened a new account at a bank two weeks ago. I was contacted by the fraud department and was informed that the bank had accidentally sent my bank statement to another customer. I was told that the bank was putting a hold on my account, so there would be no further activity. I was told to...

Lien on bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judjment lien against my bank account. What go in this account are Socical Security cheks (exempt incomes). How do I do to have this lien removed or the money freed ? Thanks.

View more questions Search