Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeggnog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Basement plumbing nightmare
    I have a 1940's home that needs regular tree root removal from the exterior sewer drain. Having just done so, I was surprised when the basement drains were backing up again two weeks later. Called in plumber who opened the main clean out and informed me that it was indeed backed up again. Even though I found this hard to believe I agreed to a 200$ bill to do it again. He met very little resistance and soon flushed out the drain. However, the floor drains(2) were still holding water. So of course he says there is another problem inside the house. Attempted to snake out the main floor drain and plumber can't get the snake started. Upon closer examination, he says the pipe has collapsed or that someone(previous tenant?) has poured concrete into drain on purpose.

The former seems more likely since I found empty gallon bottle of commercial drain cleaner nearby. Either way, seems I'll have to dig up basement floor and replace the
    Pipe(s)? Here are my Q's...

1. since I'm down there and all the pipes are 50 years old, should I replace them all?
    2. How exactly do I locate them? I have no print nor access to them. Do I simply draw a straight line between the drains and the clean out and assume they are directly below?
    3.Is a jackhammer or some type of saw a better option?

I can locate two pipes from the single bath which enter the floor about 5 feet from the main floor drain. Since there is septic odor I'm guessing at least the toilet pipe tees with the floor drain rather than separately emptying into the main pipe?

There is a second floor drain which seems to be teed into the kitchen pipe and the laundry/sink pipe. That one is much further away, 15 feet+/-

So, In my mind I picture the two bath lines running parellel directly to the main floor drain where they tee with both the line running directly to the cleanout and to the line connected to the kitchen/laundry pipe. Water heater drain seems to be on the same line.

4. is this a likely layout or am I missing something here?
    5. the plumber wants $1200 just to replace the portion they looked at. Can I do this project myself or am I better off saving up for the pros?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 12:03 PM

If he rodded the main 2 weeks ago and it is again clogged he did not do a good job. A cutter head on a snake would totally remove any roots and they do not grow back this quick. I would also recommend you start treating your drains with copper sulphate to inhibit root growth. I'd ask the plumber why he isn't standing behind his 2 week old job, this was a call back and should have been a freebie. Where is the floor water coming from in the basement?
    jeggnog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    If he rodded the main 2 weeks ago and it is again clogged he did not do a good job. A cutter head on a snake would totally remove any roots and they do not grow back this quick. I would also recommend you start treating your drains with copper sulphate to inhibit root growth. I'd ask the plumber why he isn't standing behind his 2 week old job, this was a call back and should have been a freebie. Where is the floor water coming from in the basement??
    It is coming from the upstairs bath, at least. Seems to be coming from the toilet and the kitchen sink.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 04:51 PM

Sorry Ball, but I diasgree on the call back theory. When you have a drain snaked, you never know for sure if the problem is just a plug, or a collapsed pipe etc. How are you supposed to guarantee that a line is in good shape(unless you have it scoped). I warranty almost all of my work, but when it comes to plugged lines, I can only do what I can do. I always tell the customer that when I clear your line, there is no promise that it won't clogg again. If you clear a line by augering it, you can't tell if what you cleared is roots, or tampons, or paper towels or rags, or mud(caused by a collapsed pipe, etc, etc. I have been callled back on numerous occasions for plugged drains. I always recommend having someone with a sewer camera come in after the second visit. But I have found on many jobs, that the blockage is due to people flushing things they shouldn't, or dumping large amounts of grease or cat litter or,, so on so forth, down their drains. And, believe it or not, roots can grow rather quickly. Not two week worth , but other factor play a part in this too.
    dababe Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
    I just moved into a house in Sep. We bought it land contract and didn't have anything inspected. I know I was wrong for that. Well now I'm in the house. The first time I took a bath, the water didn't go down it backed up in the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen. We had a guy that was staying across the street, laid off plumber, well he took all the pipes above the basement floor and replaced them. Helped the water to go down. Water started coming up from the drain in the floor of the basement. I called and had it cleaned out. He said he couldn't say it wouldn't happen again the pipe was cracked or something blocking it. Well I can't aford to fix the pipes yet, saving up. But I don't know what to do about the water in the basement. Should I get a sump pump and will it work with the pipe blocked?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 11:11 AM

Your going to have to fix it. Sump pumps are for grey water. Ejector pumps are for sewage hat needs to be pumped up.

Neither will work.

The line can be scoped to figure out what the problem is. Yes you could conceiveably patch just the damaged area.

The plug can electronically be located by inserting a snake and using special locating equipment trace it out on the floor.

Without too much digging there is sewer relining that's possible. Search in AMHD.

The most cost-effective option is to find the blockage. Dig and repair. Have the lines scoped and then have the sewer lined.

There are some good posts in AMHD about digging too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

I started a new thread because the other one got a bit messy. I need to tap into a 3 inch pvc pipe (drain pipe) to add two drains to it. One will be for the bathroom sink and one will be a bar sink. I found a 3 x 3 x 2 x 2 tee that might work for this job. I was thinking however that it should be...

Basement Plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

There is a black box on my basement concret surface around the PVC pipe (for bath tab). Looking in inside, there is no concret around the pipe and the stones on the bottom. What is it? I am remodeling my basement at this time. How can I do for this box? Thanks.

Plumbing in the basement [ 6 Answers ]

what I have in the basement is a bathroom roughed in with the sink, toilet and tube in the concrete floor. There is a bathroom above this bathroom that is not vented trough the roof. It has a studor value under the sink. The studor vent is the only vent for the 1st level batch. The main...

Basement plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1950. The finished basement has a room that had a kitchen sink in it. At the (insistent) request of my wife, I removed the kitchen sink so we could move our washer/dryer in there. The drain for the kitchen sink is located on the basement floor. The drain is a cast iron...

View more questions Search