Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aparein925 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 12:52 AM
    May I have my faith back?
    I need help with my faith. Currently I am 24 going on 25 and I am having trouble believing anymore. When I was little I was always in the church. Every Sunday... church. Every special program... church. I am a virgin today, waiting to get married because of the church. I believed in the Word and tried my best to follow it daily. I use to pray every morning and every night for God to protect and watch over me and everyone else.

I remember when I was very young, I prayed to God one night when I was really sick. It was the first time I seriously prayed for anything involving myself. I had a terrible sore throat, head was banging, and I could not go to sleep because I was in so much pain. I didn't know what was wrong with me and I knew it just wasn't a sore throat. I couldn't swallow anything... ANYTHING! I was in so much pain. I could hardly inhale because of the pain. I hadn't eaten for days. One night I laid in my bed and I prayed to God and Jesus over and over again. I prayed that He would make me feel better and protect me and cover me. Literally an hour or two later, no medication... no home therapies... NOTHING!. NOTHING!. I just knew that my throat was better. I swallowed and my throat was better. I even ate that night and my throat didn't even hurt anymore. It blew my mind that an hour before I couldn't even inhale or fall asleep because of the pain, and the pain was gone.

Anytime my faith was tested I remembered this story. When people would say God is not real I remembered that night when the most amazing thing happened to me. I have seen people who had cancer and prayed and their cancer disappeared. I have prayed for other good things to happen and they have. I have never been as happy in my life when I was fully involved with God. Never felt more protected, more loved, more everything. It just felt like this light was around me and I had His angels protecting me.

Then I went to college. I got lost. Its not that I did anything... I didn't. I didn't drink. I didn't smoke. I didn't hang around with the wrong people. I didn't do drugs. I kept to my school work, still prayed. All my friends were Christians and believed in God. I know that I got caught up in my school work and God, who was first in my life, became second. I didn't go to church like I should have. I didn't read my bible like I should have. These things are probably the root of my problems... obviously :o.

When I went to college, my faith was tested. It wasn't tested because of the different views or religions that people were, but my major. I majored in Biological Sciences where faith is not an option. Either it is or it isn't. Everything is tested and scientifically proven. Some things I learned actually improved my faith and some things sent me right back to questioning everything. This was the biggest test of my faith for 4 years. Not only the science "stuff" tested my faith, but overall observation.

I saw God leave peoples lives. I saw preachers and ministers and deacons , etc... sin on Saturday, preach on Sunday, and sin again on Monday. I would say I lost faith in the people of the church. I don't see why I should go to church when the person preaching or the people leading the church shouldn't be able to get through the front door. I'm not referencing my home church (not saying that they didn't have their issues), but every other church I went to.

I saw all these specials on the Discovery channel and the History channel and National Geographic of books that were banned from the bible and all these different things that contrasted with what was being preached and taught. I became confused. I have read through the bible and attempted to read the entire book so I can make up my own mind. There are so many things in the bible that people twist to make it better for them. To me, there should only be one way to interpret the Word and that is the right way.

I can say the number one thing that really made me question my faith in Christianity and religion overall was Judgment. Not of Judgment day, I read the entire book of Revelation and it didn't frighten me at all. Judgment of others. I don't understand why there is so much judgment of different people. I saw church people judging everybody and sometimes its just not fair. Not everybody can help their situation and its not any ones place to judge them. If anything you can help them. If someone was not living a Christian life they were shunned and got an automatic ticket to hell. They were the most evil thing alive.

If a person is genuinely good, has the biggest heart ever, is it fair to say that if they don't believe like we do that they will go to Hell? There are great people everywhere. They have the biggest hearts, they are honest, always willing to help others, they would give you their last penny to help you even if that meant detriment to themselves, and the one thing that is considered "wrong" is that they don't believe in God or Jesus, so they will "suffer eternal damnation". It doesn't sound fair to me. If you are good, you are good. If you are evil, you are evil. But in religion... you are good AND believe in God or you will go to the pits of hell. Good is Good to me, regardless of religion. I got tired of judging people or saying who was good or who wasn't. I got tired of hearing who was good and who wasn't.

My faith is tested because this is apart of my religion. I have to believe that although someone is good, because they don't believe in God and Jesus, they are not. I have read Matthew and I know that God is the only one who can judge, but it doesn't seem like everyone is reading the bible that I am reading. After all the research, it doesn't seem like anyone knows what God's plan is. That is my problem.

Sorry this is so long, but this is almost seven years of faith issues in my heart that I needed to get out. I just need to hear about how some of you kept and continue to keep your faith strong with all the opposition. Help. :(
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 02:35 AM

Wow, what a great description of what you feel! Hats up!

First thing that I'd like to say is that you should not pin point the sins or mistakes the others have, but try, if you can, encourage them to be better. They may themselves be touched and drastically changed to better. Your relationship with God is between you and Him more importantly. First commandment, Love your God with all your heart, all your mind and all your strength. Then, love your neighbour like yourself.

I know that in Biology, there may be many contradictions over especially evolution. Remember that they are assumptions of the man who created these theories. This may be because God has made life so complex that they have to make up some hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Aparein925
    There are so many things in the bible that people twist to make it better for them. To me, there should only be one way to interpret the Word and that is the right way.
    True.

I saw church people judging everybody and sometimes its just not fair.
    That's indeed wrong. Only God will judge right or wrong. Remember that everybody is not perfect. Some may pretend to be, but they have their flaws all right.

If a person is genuinely good, has the biggest heart ever, is it fair to say that if they don't believe like we do that they will go to Hell? There are great people everywhere. They have the biggest hearts, they are honest, always willing to help others, they would give you their last penny to help you even if that meant detriment to themselves, and the one thing that is considered "wrong" is that they don't believe in God or Jesus, so they will "suffer eternal damnation". It doesn't sound fair to me. If you are good, you are good. If you are evil, you are evil. But in religion.......you are good AND believe in God or you will go to the pits of hell. Good is Good to me, regardless of religion. I got tired of judging people or saying who was good or who wasn't. I got tired of hearing who was good and who wasn't.
    I understand your point of view. I too find that sometimes unfair. The best you can do is show them (if you personally know them) who God really is. How YOU came to know Him and have faith in Him. Then, leave it to them to choose if they'll believe or not. That's the greatest difficulty, the choice. Don't impose on them, just encourage them to do the right choice, without putting any pressure on them. You will find that when you'll do it, you will get yourself more close to God automatically. Sometimes, you see, you say things that you meant for others, and then you find that to be meant for you too.

I have read Matthew and I know that God is the only one who can judge, but it doesn't seem like everyone is reading the bible that I am reading. After all the research, it doesn't seem like anyone knows what God's plan is. That is my problem.
    Here it is, only God judges. After all, no one can ever know the plan for God without Him revealing it to that person.

I may have missed something for I have so much to say... which is unusual. Post back, I'll be pleased to answer if I can. And yes, you deserve to have your faith back, just claim it, and you'll receive it.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 10, 2009, 05:28 PM

I TOTALLY agree with you about the good person/bad person deal. It makes no sense at all. I can no longer agree with the christian view of who is "saved" and who is not. There are many religions in this world and who is to say that the christian bible is any more valid than another religions book of faith. I say continue living your life as a loving compassionate person that strives to do what is good and right and you and this world will benefit from it. This is my wish for all people regardless of their particular faith. Doing what is right based on fear of hell is not really coming from the goodness of your heart is it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 06:38 PM

Your faith is just that yours, you don't judge it by my faith, or what you observe to be the faith of others.

Even the 12 of Jesus had times of weakness, after the years with Christ, Peter denied Christ, Judas betrayed him and we see Thomas doubting him. All of this is so much more than what most of us do today.

And being a Christian is not being perfect it is just doing the best we can.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 06:54 PM

Like Fr_chuck said you can't judge your faith by others. When you get face to face with God it is not going to be what others did or didn't do it is going to be all about you and your relationship with Him.
    Christianity really isn't all about the do's and don'ts but the lessons God teaches us through our trials to strengthen us on our journey
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Aparein925,
    You are going through something about faith that a great many people have gone through.
    So you are not alone in that.
    First of all don't worry about others faith or that they judge others which ONLY God does.
    Through prayer ask God to help you strengthen your faith. Often that comes through exorcizing it. It's like strengthening your muscles with exorcize.
    What you are going through now may be an opportunity for that.
    You really have not lost your faith but you have picked up a lot of doubts.
    Biology is a science full of theories which have changed over the years and will continue to do so just like other sciences.
    They change because professionals in those fields have doubts which they research to find new "trues" and when they do find them the changes come about.
    I pray to God that He will help you strengthen your faith.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Apr 15, 2009, 12:27 PM

Well said, arcura.

I would like to add few sentences to what all has already been told on this thread. One should not let the doubts curb down his/her faith. I come across so many people by reading, through media, in person who tell so many different things about Jesus. Some are good to know and some are so bizarre. Many people are putting in their the best to shake foundations of Christianity, to defame Jesus, to bring down God to their level. They tell you the things that would make you really think for a minute that whatever you believe in is fake. Yet everytime, I come across such an incidence, my faith grows stronger.

God is same yesterday, today and tomorrow. HE has not changed. What has changed is the man. People have started listening to their earthly desires and have shut down the little tiny voice which always raises a flag and warns us to watch our steps. These days the courage of man has grown so much that he is now trying to prove that GOD is wrong, HE is not fair and so on... Growth and development of science has nothing to do with abandoning our faith in God, His controlling the universe and saving us. Science rather helps us to understand that where does sun go at night, how does a life start and which part of brain does what function. When we say and believe in that HE has counted our breaths, HE has a plan for us so that HE could be glorified, then why should we abandon our faith when we know how to take good care of our bodies and enjoy HIS blessings on this earth.

I do not want to sound negative but I never forget where Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven". Not even our good works will save us. It is only and only grace of our Lord Jesus which would save us. Yet this still does not give us ticket to walk on wrong path. We have to be faithful to HIM and do our best to be called HIS sons/daughters. I am not judging others, but those people in churches who do all those unacceptable things, they do hear that small voice, yet they ignore it and do not gather enough courage to fight the earthly wish and turn to God. May God give them strength to win this war.

Aparein925, just hold on to your faith, pray everyday, does not matter how many times a day, read the Bible regularly and share your questions with people who are mature and elder in faith. Avoid self-talk and self-answering. Do not forget that diamond only shines after it's surfaces are cut at precise angles. Perhaps HE is working on you right now to make you shine more. May Lord Jesus be with you always and help you to rise up and bring glory to HIS name.

Apr 15, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    ........ I can no longer agree with the christian view of who is "saved" and who is not. There are many religions in this world and who is to say that the christian bible is any more valid than another religions book of faith. I say continue living your life as a loving compassionate person that strives to do what is good and right and you and this world will benefit from it. This is my wish for all people regardless of their particular faith. Doing what is right based on fear of hell is not really coming from the goodness of your heart is it?
    CozyT, No offence but I do not agree with you. Following Jesus is the only way to God. No other religion/faith tells us this. It is only Christ Jesus who gave HIS life for our sins, whereas HE could have avoided HIS death on the cross and we all know when HE prayed, "O my Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me. Yet not what I want but what you want". In John 14:6, Jesus has said very clearly, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". What more we want? It is not our good deeds but HIS grace would save us. And the Bible tells us of those people whom we call criminals and sinners and God picked them for HIS work. I do not know any other faith/religion where somebody has given up his/her life for a sinner. They have done it to save their family or friends but not a sinner. Following Jesus is to carry his/her own cross and the life for that person is not a path covered with roses.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Apr 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    CozyT, No offence but I do not agree with you. Following Jesus is the only way to God. No other religion/faith tells us this. It is only Christ Jesus who gave HIS life for our sins, whereas HE could have avoided HIS death on the cross and we all know when HE prayed, "O my Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me. Yet not what I want but what you want". In John 14:6, Jesus has said very clearly, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". What more we want? It is not our good deeds but HIS grace would save us. And the Bible tells us of those people whom we call criminals and sinners and God picked them for HIS work. I do not know any other faith/religion where somebody has given up his/her life for a sinner. They have done it to save their family or friends but not a sinner. Follwoing Jesus is to carry his/her own cross and the life for that person is not a path covered with roses.
    Actually it's cozyK not cozyT. I know it says these things in the bible. I just don't know if the bible is accurate. It's not like god sat down and wrote it in English. It is SO FAR removed from the original author aka god. What makes me doubt the validity is the fact that many of the stories in the bible just don't vibe with reality. Also, to believe that the only path to God is through Jesus leaves out billions of people that have walked this earth, but did not walk it through a christian church.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Triund,
    Thanks much.
    Fred

Apr 16, 2009, 07:38 AM

CozyK, my apologies for addressing you not correctly in my earlier post. Sorry..!

Few years ago I also doubted that whatever I am reading in my Bible might have been changed. As it is Satan is out to shake our foundations on faith. Later on I thought that whoever has changed anything in the Bible, would be answerable to God. I won't divert from my way. I do not doubt the word of God which I read in the Bible, I have. However I would really love to get the very original scripts of the Bible. Man is free to make interpretations from the Bible according to his liking. He has the freewill to twist a story to make to suit his own needs. God, for surely, knows our intentions. HE knows what we are thiking and what we are saying.

On the people who did not walk on this earth as Christians, I would say that it is HE who has to decide what to do with those people. HE is a just God and a fair Lord. Whatever HE does, we can not question HIM if we respect HIS authority and love HIM. Secondly, we have no way to communicate with those people who have moved on after completing their journey on this earth. Hence, we have no way, not at all anyway, to find out where are they now and what did they do on this earth to deserve the place they are in. The story of Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16:19-31 deserves close attention.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Triund,
    Yes you are right that the story of Lazarus and the one about the rich man do deserve close attention but also the other stories in the bible about people who have past this life.
    Each one is a bit different and all do teach us something.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Apr 17, 2009, 05:29 AM
    Yes Arcura, I agree with you. We all learn something or the other here everyday. I feel comfortable to bring my questions and doubts here and share with you all. It is so wonderful to meet people and come to know about their ideas, thoughts and opinions. God bless you all.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Apr 17, 2009, 09:20 PM
    Rom. 10:17, So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
    Everything that we need to know in regard to salvation, what it is, why we need
    It, how we can receive it, can be found in God's Word. God blesses us when we hear
    His promises and respond in faith, believing in them.
    When we move away from God, stop taking in His word that feeds you spiritly,
    You wake up one day dry and empty of what was so precious to you, His love.
    He loves you very much and is always near with a stretched out hand.

Maggie 3
    IBC Group Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Yes you can have your faith again just read
    Whay I have written below.

Do you not know or have you not heard
    The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth
    And he does not grow tired and weary
    And his understanding no one can fathom
    He gives strength to the weary and increases power to the weak
    Even youth grow tired and weary
    Even young people stumble and fall
    But those who wait on the Lord
    Will renew their strength
    Then soar like wings on eagles
    So no one will not grow weary
    That the walk will not be faint
    So do not fear for I am with you says the Lord
    Do not be dismayed for I am your God
    I will strengthen you, Help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
    All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced
    Those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish
    Though you search for your enemies you will not find them
    All who rage war against you will be as nothing at all
    For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and say to you tonight.
    Do not fear…
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Magie 3
    Very appropriate!!
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 10:12 PM
    IBC Group
    Welcome to here.
    Well said.
    Yes everyone can have their faith back, but they must work at it with the Lord's help.
    Peace and kindness.
    Fred (arcira)
    marzena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 05:49 AM

Thanks Aparein925 for your message I really want to exchange my opinion with you and he others but I will do it later
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 10:52 PM

marzena,
    We'll look forward to your return for that.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have a little faith in me [ 6 Answers ]

We keep getting into fights! Last night kept escalating until we broke up and then Decided to salvage what we had! I am always depressed and I don't know why? I never have faith in the Fact that he cares (we are long distance) and I never seem to be able Just to "have fun." He doesn't know...

Faith [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and I hope that I can get answers to some questions that I have and hope that I can answer some for you.

How do I get back my faith? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I feel a bit stupid asking this. I stopped going to church when I had bad expierences at school and other stuff too. God just didn't make sense anymore, why would he let me suffer like this? So I stopped going to church and praying (I used to pray every night before bed) now I don't really...

I want my faith back. [ 9 Answers ]

I was brought up Roman Catholic, I was baptised and had my first communion... never made my confirmation. When I was little I was amazed with church, with the songs, the readings, the praying, everything. As I got older, it's like my faith is not strong anymore. I mean I believe in God and...

Bad faith [ 7 Answers ]

How do you handle a contract where you are a independent contracter for 3 years in which the people in the contract are supposed to have you on there insurance for those three years. And I paid a surcharge every day for those three years for the insurance then after a accident I found out I was...

View more questions Search