Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marlenee11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 12:40 AM
    Hit and run
    I was just in an accident, the other guy ran stop sign and ran. His bumper fell and we got his license plate, but I don't have insurance. I called the police and made a report. I gave them a copy of my expired insurance. What's going to happen?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2009, 04:42 AM

Since the other giuy was at fault, you file a claim against his insurance carrier. The police should be able to give you the info. You, however, may be ticketed for not having insurance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:53 AM

I am going to somewhat hijack this thread with a warning - I am seeing more and more people driving uninsured due to the economic climate. My advice to EVERYONE is to discuss uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage with your insurance agent. You have to protect yourself in the event you are in an accident and the other party has minimal or no insurance.

In my area the Police are combing through Accident Reports and arresting people for driving uninsured, often some time after the accident - may not be the same in all States. The Department of Motor Vehicles is overwhelmed and is resorting to Police to enforce the mandatory mv insurance laws.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I am going to somewhat hijack this thread with a warning - I am seeing more and more people driving uninsured due to the economic climate. My advice to EVERYONE is to discuss uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage with your insurance agent. You have to protect yourself in the event you are in an accident and the other party has minimal or no insurance.

In my area the Police are combing through Accident Reports and arresting people for driving uninsured, often some time after the accident - may not be the same in all States. The Department of Motor Vehicles is overwhelmed and is resorting to Police to enforce the mandatory mv insurance laws.
    I read this earlier and didn't have anything to add to Scott's post but you make a valid point. NC now requires Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage. I guess the issue is the people like the OP who are victims and they don't have coverage in place to start with. I tell my clients that due to the economy, you can't afford to not have insurance these days. If something happens, then you really won't be able to afford to pay for damages/losses out-of-pocket!

NC assesses a fine (depending on the number of times insurance lapses within a certain time frame) and revokes license plates of uninsured drivers. I'm not sure how other states handle this...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 03:19 PM

I know here in Ohio if your insurance lapses you get a letter from the State about no insurance and if you don't retain insurance within so many days/weeks your license gets revoked. The insurance companies inform the state as a matter of recourse as it is the law and they are upholding the law.

Why would anyone in their right mind drive a potentially lethal weapon around with no insurance at all? Times may be tough and money tight but that lady's post above sure gives food for thought.

Judy - too bad they don't go after all the uninsured motorists in California as they are increasing more and more out there.

It's always Murphy's Law when it comes to insurance on your car or home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search