Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 08:15 PM
    What is the purpose of life?
    Hey guys just wanted to ask everyone what they think the purpose of life is besides being happy? Do everyone want the american dream? Get a job, get married, have kids? Personally I find the american dreams pretty dull not that exciting, I just think there is more to life than that. Anyway what are your thoughts? =P
    tony71 Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2009, 08:18 PM

Good question, but has a hard answer.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 11:45 AM

Wow, that can go deep in many directions! I suppose it depends on the person, the culture, the religion... many factors really.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 11:49 AM

I love questions like these.

I really think the purpose of life is to learn to believe in yourself. Your life, as you know it, is seen through your eyes only, all things begin and end with you.

It's an amorphous and vague statement, but it takes a lifetime to understand.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 11:51 AM

I put it like a game of football: The purpose of life is simple. LEAVE NOTHING left when you die. Enjoy every moment, cherish every memory, hug hard, laugh aloud, cry when you need to, sing in the shower, toast to your friends, comsume good food, be a good friend, be a great parent, and leave no regrets behind!

So, for me, when I can go to bed, that one special day and say to myself, "I have nothing left to offer.." smile, and know I gave it my all, that will fulfill my purpose in life. Just make an impact, a good one at that.

You get one shot, so don't waste time that you cannot get back.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 12:17 PM

I'm living the irish dream in the middle of a recession! Crap crap and more crap,throw in some bills and that's the everyday for everyone...

But.. tonight making dinner I was dancing in the kitchen with my 8 year old,I could hear my older kids laughing in the lounge,I was wearing a pair of jeans that make my bottom look hot! I have a full box of cigs and a cup of coffee in front of me and I'm on annual leave till next tue.

Life is what you make it,find the joy,even ifs it's a pair of jeans that make your bottom look hot.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    im living the irish dream in the middle of a recession! crap crap and more crap,throw in some bills and thats the everyday for everyone...

but..tonight making dinner i was dancing in the kitchen with my 8 year old,i could hear my older kids laughing in the lounge,i was wearing a pair of jeans that make my bottom look hot! i have a full box of cigs and a cup of coffee in front of me and im on annual leave till next tue.

life is what you make it,find the joy,even ifs its a pair of jeans that make your bottom look hot.
    Isn't the irish dream to get drunk drunk and drunk? LOL JOKES
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 12:26 PM

I think everyone has a different answer and that's the way it should be. Personally, I just don't want to live with regrets. I want to do what I want to do.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 12:28 PM

Red you got it! Like when my son and I put on the Beach Boys and throw down the couch pillows and we jump on them and surf... who cares. At that time that's what life is all about! The bills aren't going any where, the cleaning isn't going any where. But time does go by nonstop. So we surf and nothing else matters. Because tomorrow it could all be gone and then where would I be.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 12:57 PM

Well then enough said for the few of us. The purpose of life is not yesterday or tomorrow. Its what's today.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 01:19 PM

For me, I think the purpose in life is to make a difference. Somehow, some way, but to make a REAL difference.

Not necessarily in "the world," but in YOUR world. In MY world. In someone's life. In the lives of a community, a church, a gathering, a school, a home.

I think that the saddest thing is the thought of dying without effecting one person, making a difference in no one's life. That is truly sad.

So, for me, the purpose in life is simply to make a difference. :)
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    I put it like a game of football: The purpose of life is simple. LEAVE NOTHING left when you die. Enjoy every moment, cherish every memory, hug hard, laugh aloud, cry when you need to, sing in the shower, toast to your friends, comsume good food, be a good friend, be a great parent, and leave no regrets behind!

So, for me, when I can go to bed, that one special day and say to myself, "I have nothing left to offer.." smile, and know I gave it my all, that will fulfill my purpose in life. Just make an impact, a good one at that.

You get one shot, so don't waste time that you cannot get back.
    Honest. Didn't even read your answer... once again, Tiger, dear... once again... ;) You and me...
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 01:20 PM

I look at life as a big highway. Your in the driver seat and in control of your destination. You can get off anytime or get back on anytime you want and if you get off at the wrong exit, you can always get back on the highway and go another way. Choices, choices, choices.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 02:23 PM

Purpose of my life... Huh... To be me, original, complicated, simple, smart, funny, confusing, weird, but most of all, just be me.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 02:38 PM

I asked my mother this question and she said "r Life is like a day off from work: The morning starts out with so much promise but by night fall you end up falling asleep wishing you'd done something else with your day." The only thing you can do with your life is live it, learn from your mistakes and others around you, and be happy with it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 04:45 PM

The American dream? Not really, but I guess I fit the description.

The purpose of my life? There are so many purposes to my life. I am a wife, a mother, a lover, a daughter. I am complicated, happy, sad, angry and all the emotions in between. I am grateful to be here, grateful that I survived the things I've been through. I look forward to every day, minute, hour, second. I am!

There really isn't an easy way to answer this question. You are you, and therefore your definition of purpose will differ from everyone else's.

The most important thing is to like, heck, love who and what you are. No regrets, never look back, just live in the now and don't give up!

If I die tomorrow I can honestly say that I had a good life, even with the bad.

That was a bit sappy. What's wrong with me? ;)
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 05:20 AM

I need to amend my purpose in life: To marry Megan Fox...

Carry on... :cool:
    hmorrar Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

Apr 10, 2009, 09:13 AM

Hi everyone,
    This is really an excellent question that everyone should be asking every minute of his life, I really give my appreciation to the thread initiator, thanks man

Actually people will have different answers only if they do not know the ultimate truth, as if they did everyone will have the same answer to this 1bln $ question, so

1st, everything must have a creator, so all things must have been created as it shows from the great designs of human parts, animals, skies and everything around us, so if we can agree there is a creator we solved the first problem

2nd, the creator would never create anything without a purpose, so there must be a purpose for everything created, even an ant that we might not know, this is because there is no way a great creator who created everything around us and us would create for fun

3rd, the creator must deliver the purpose to creatures in order to know it, and this in fact happened through messengers who delivered the message and if we search deep we will find all of them meet in one purpose and same objectives

The message is very clear, only humans among all other creatures (except one) were given the free well to choose good and evil, this is a privilege over all creatures because the reward is heaven that only humans (and the other creature) can enter.

So all other creatures like animals, water, skies... etc were created to serve humans in order to reach their purpose, that is to admit of the creator existence and obay the message, in return we win eternal life in heaven, or hell if not

The message is simple, the creator told us many things to do and many not to, such as we must work and invent things that are good for humanity, for animals, and make people happy, and communicate with good manners, and believe in heaven and hell... etc, and were told not to commit adultry because it harms our existence, not to kill innocents, not to harm animals... etc -- this is all part of the message

So we are here to work hard to earn the creator's mercy so we can go to heaven!

Why hell, because if with all things that the creator gave you such as eyes, mouth, ears, life,. and with all the signs he gave you and you still insist to disobay him, we don't deserve heaven

Am ready for more conversation anytime please feel free to challenge my beliefs, thanks
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorrar View Post

am ready for more conversation anytime please feel free to challange my beliefs, thanks
    Guess we haven't met yet... I will be the first to call you on your beliefs..

1) I fully understand people believe what they want, so I respect that

2) I HATE when people like you come on websites to spew their nonsense and beliefs onto other people

3) Humans are not the all powerful creatures you suggest they are, and I find it fairly ignorant to say that every other animal is "below" us and here to serve us. I will actually go as far as saying there has never been a more selfish, obnoxious and purely evil creature put on Earth than a human.

Take your religion and other stuff to a church. This ain't the place for it. That being said, if is Friday, so pass me some of the stuff you are smoking, and we can all get along... :cool:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    Hey guys just wanted to ask everyone what they think the purpose of life is besides being happy? Do everyone want the american dream?
    Hello none:

Don't confuse purpose with wants and desires... Our purpose here is to do nothing more than have babies.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Purpose of our life [ 12 Answers ]

What is the purpose of this life. Just eating, sleeping, working and doing some favors for the needy- will this justify our existence? Why god has sent us on the earth? Getting confused.

The purpose of life [ 7 Answers ]

Do we exist by chance? If not, why do we exist?

What's the purpose of NC? [ 2 Answers ]

I wonder now what the real purpose of NC. I mean, if your ex trying to contact you back after you do it, do you pick up the phone or what?? Is it best not to have any kind of relationship with your ex forever or..?

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

Purpose of Life? [ 85 Answers ]

I know and believe what my purpose in life is, Do you know yours? And whatever you believe, could you please explain how have you reached this conclusion? Thank you in advance for all your thoughts! :)

View more questions Search