Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paigow201 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Box 15 on W2 incorrectly split between two states
    My wife and I have lived and worked in NJ for over 1 and 1/2 years. It looks like her employer screwed up and stated in box 15 that a portion of her income ($68463 of $176279) was Massachusetts income and withheld $3522 for MA. This is understating the NJ withholding by the same amount. How do I straighten this out on my federal and state returns?? We only earned income in NJ. W2 box 15 - 17 says NJ $176279 with $6125 withheld and just below that it says MA $68436 with $3522 withheld. Her total income was $176279.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 05:46 PM

If she never worked in MA, then she will file MA tax return and claim the refund.

If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.

To the state you live in, you must report your worldwide income for the year or for the residency period. If you paid taxes to another state, then you will claim credit for those taxes.

If you live and work is a state but your employer is from another state, then your income is only subject to the state where you live and work. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Paigow:

If you had no luck in straightening out your state tax problem, email me for professional help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flushing incorrectly [ 2 Answers ]

When I flush my downstairs toilet it is working in reverse. When I pull the handle the bowl fills with water and then slowly drains back into the reservoir but never actually flushes. What do I do to fix this issue and what could be causing it? The other toilets are working fine.

Incorrectly overpaid! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have received a payment in my bank account today from o2 for the amount of £1194. I was due £194. It has taken me since March this year for them to pay back the money they owed me and now they have overpaid me! I took out a 12 month contract with them that I cancelled yet they still...

Taxes withheld incorrectly from two states [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in Kansas in 2005. I moved to New jersey in 2006 Jan but my taxes continued to be withheld from Kansas for the first 6 months during 2006. My employer failed to update my address while generating the paystubs. Can I file for only New Jersey or do I need to file taxes for both states?

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

View more questions Search