Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004_4x4 View Post
    I don't have money for an attorney.
    Do you have the money to pay the debt if you lose?

Depending on the size of the debt, you may be better off hiring an attorney.

The people here can give you advice, that's it.

You also put down one of the people that could help you and has helped you the most, Judy. She knows her stuff, but you don't want to hear what she has to say.

Try to remember that we all volunteer on this site, we don't get paid to do this, we do it in our free time because we want to help.

Your best bet is an attorney, that's just the way it is and that's the best advice anyone can offer you.

Good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Judy...I prefer you don't ever reply to anything I ever post..

You may want to read the rules for posting. By the way, you are foolish indeed to refuse to listen to anyone's advice while you slowly dig a deeper hole for yourself. That's probably how you got yourself into this fix in the first place.

Again - and this will be time number three - you don't have money to pay an Attorney; you don't have enough knowledge to defend yourself.

Be prepared to live with a Judgment.

And to anyone who is even THINKING of answering any of these questions - based on the number of posts, the absolute refusal to listen and the argumentative attitude I would think at least twice, possibly three times before getting further involved. My "spidey senses" tell me that the OP is very likely to come back "with you gave me bad legal advice" and then the fun begins!

I'm not telling anyone what to do; this is simply a suggestion.
    2004_4x4 Posts: 29, Reputation: -2

Aug 6, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Ok... Judy,
    At this point,what is your opinion on me contacting the CA to settle out of court?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Ok... Judy,
    at this point,what is your opinion on me contacting the CA to settle out of court?

You direct me not to answer you, are rude and ignorant and now you want me help you? You have GOT to be kidding!

I gave you advice - retain an Attorney or go down with your financial ship. Either/or.
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Ok... Judy,
    at this point,what is your opinion on me contacting the CA to settle out of court?
    Get.

An.

Attorney.

Aug 6, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Thanks... I believe I will now get an attorney to try to throw some of the water out of my sinking ship.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Thanks....I believe I will now get an attorney to try to throw some of the water out of my sinking ship.

Somebody said this in April, 4 months ago. Oh, wait - it was me.
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Somebody said this in April, 4 months ago. Oh, wait - it was me.
    But did you say it ten times in a row, in bold, with authority? ;)

Aug 8, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Went to see a lawyer yesterday...

She wanted a $500.00 retainer fee and still thought the best she could do is work out a payment plan and not take it to court.thats 30% of what the claim is for.

Does anyone think I should contact the CA myself and try to work it out.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 02:05 PM
    went to see a lawyer yesterday....

She wanted a $500.00 retainer fee and still thought the best she could do is work out a payment plan and not take it to court.thats 30% of what the claim is for.

does anyone think i should contact the CA myself and try to work it out.

I would weigh the possibility of the Attorney saving you more than $500 against the probability that the creditor will get everything asked for. I would be quite surprised if the Attorney cannot get a settlement at a lower figure. I also think that if she had said, "Sure, this is easy," you would have figured you could either take care of it yourself OR find an Attorney who charges less. To a certain extent making an arrangement HAS to sound difficult.

There is also the question of whether you can represent yourself any further or whether you HAVE to bring legal counsel in at this point. You may have annoyed the creditor to such an extent that that creditor no longer wants to deal with you - and I've actually seen it happen.

If it's Small Claims with no complications, no problem; anything over and above that - big problems.

My feeling is that representing yourself may have muddied the waters.

As I have said from the beginning (although not as strong as Alty said it) YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY.
    cw77 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Not sure what the answer is to this. I have the same problem with chase bank. The opposing atty. Quoted this same supposed Ga. Law. My question is, is it a Ga. Law or case law and is the decision binding in a court of law?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery process in small claims [ 3 Answers ]

We filed a small claims suit against a contractor. Their attorney is on his third continuance to support the discovery process. Three questions: (A) on the request for admission, do I simply state Yes or No or is it OK to briefly outline facts to redirect the request for admission (the questions...

Discovery in Small Claims Court [ 3 Answers ]

I was sued by a debt collector in small claims court. I filed my answer and a pretrial conference was scheduled for March 30. Then I received a Request for Admissions and a request for production of documents from their lawyers. Are they not jumping the gun a little bit to be sending me this before...

Discovery Small Claims Collection Company Documentation [ 2 Answers ]

On the pre-trial statement in a lawsuit filed by a debt collection company they stated that they would complete discovery within 60 days and they listed all the items they had. This time has since passed. The case has gone to trial which is this Tuesday. Just this past Thursday they subpoenaed a...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

View more questions Search