Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    river298 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 12:54 PM
    My 2008 tax questions (changed from F1 visa to H1 visa and also moved)
    My wife came to US in 2001 and I came to US in September 2004.
    In 2007, both of us had income as students in California. We filed jointly as resident for 2007 tax since my husband was already a resident.
    In 2008, my wife was on OPT F1 visa first and later on H4 visa, dependent of me, and she had no income for the whole year. She had $2000 loss in the stock market investment from January to July 2008 when we were in California.
    In 2008, from January to July, I was a student and had income in California; from August to September I worked on OPT F1 visa in Washington; from October 1st, 08 to December 31, 08, I worked in Washington on H1 visa.
    My questions are:
    1, should I file federal tax as resident or nonresident?
    2, should I file California state tax as resident or non resident?
    3, can I deduct my wife's investment loss ($2000) in the stock market both in federal tax and California state tax?
    4, what is my filing status? "Married filing joint return" or "Head of household"

Thanks a lot for your help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 05:43 PM

In 2007 you filed joint return as residents so you are resident for 2008. File joint return as residents. You are not head of household as you are married and have not separated.

For CA you are resident if you live in CA; states have different rules than federal.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 12:05 PM
    If you file jointly, you CAN deduct your wife's capital losses in the stock market by completing Schedule D.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visa Status Changed from F1 to H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, From Jan 1 2008 to Sep 30 2008 I was on F1(OPT) Status and from Oct 1 my status changed to H1b. I first came to US in Aug 2005 and was on F1 status till Sep 08. I was working throughout the year 2008 partly on OPT and partly on H1. From Jan to Sep, I paid only Federal and State Taxes...

Can my visa status be changed from F1 to H1 because of. [ 1 Answers ]

Can my visa status be changed from F1 to H1 because of... Currently I am on F1/OPT and it will expire on march. My son is born and he is now USA citizen. Can I change my current F1/OPT to H1 or some other category. I have done masters in information technology and currently I am not emplyeed...

Possibility re-entry US if you changed your B1/B2 visa to F1 in us [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to my home country to visit my parents for a month, I got my F1 visa changed in US from B1/B2 visa. Will it be an issue or complication when re-entering US? Thanks

L1 Visa - Tax for 2008 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was reading this site for several topic and now I am confused with few things. I am citizen of India. I came to US with my family (wife and 1 kid) on 28 June 2007. Few questions on Tax for 2008. 1. I am in US more than 183 days for 2007, so I am a resident alien. Should I be filling...

View more questions Search