Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Christianity does NOT align with the list. However the Mormon, the JW do fit the bill perfectly.
    You seem to be completely unaware of how absurd of this statement will appear to a non-Christian. You really aren't advancing the ball for your team.

I notice CowboyFriendly hasn't been back since she poked this hornet's nest. When they disappear like that, I always wonder why.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 08:38 PM

So by that definition, you consider all schools to be cults - right?
    Not all schools teach the bible Tom, only the Christian schools do it with regularity. Seeing as most kids that attend Chrisitian schools are in fact members of Christian church, yes, I consider them a cult.

I said 20 people meeting who subsequently become formally organized.
    Then I misread your original post. Sorry, human, I sometimes miss things.

Where are you getting your definition from?
    The Catholic school that I went to. We did a very long study on cults in religion class, and yes, we determined that all organized religious groups, including the Catholic church are indeed cults.

Once again, you seem to think that stating that these groups are a cult is a negative thing and in this case it isn't. It's just a definition, why are you all so upset about it?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 3, 2009, 08:41 PM

I can't argue with fanatics.

Main Entry:
    fa·nat·ic
    Pronunciation:
    \fə-ˈna-tik\
    Function:
    adjective
    Etymology:
    Latin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied, from fanum temple — more at feast
    Date:

: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>

Taken from here: fanatic - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Please take the time to read post #3 again with an open mind this time.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Not all schools teach the bible Tom, only the Christian schools do it with regularity. Seeing as most kids that attend Chrisitian schools are in fact members of Christian church, yes, I consider them a cult.
    Okay so now we have a third leg of your definition - the organized group must teach the Bible, not anything else. If they teach the Koran is that okay or is that a cult? What about the Bhagavat Gita? What about science? What about evolution? What abolut literature in general? Where are the boundaries of what they can or cannot teach to be considered a cult under your definition, and upon what do you base this?
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Agreed. That is not what I said. I said that those who do adhere to the Bible would not comply with the definition for a cult.
    Look let me make this very plain and extremely simple reading and applying the bible is irrelevant when every church or religion is a cult. Just get use to the name. I dot see cult as a bad thing and because of the many definition I have been able to see that its really the media that puts such a bad stigma on the word
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    Look let me make this very plain and extremely simple reading and applying the bible is irrelevant when every church or religion is a cult. Just get use to the name. I dot see cult as a bad thing and because of the many definition I have been able to see that its really the media that puts such a bad stigma on the word
    I am just trying to understand this unique definition that you and Altenweg have, and where you got it from.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    I can't argue with fanatics.

Main Entry:
    fa·nat·ic
    Pronunciation:
    \fə-ˈna-tik\
    Function:
    adjective
    Etymology:
    Latin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied, from fanum temple — more at feast
    Date:

: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>

Taken from here: fanatic - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Please take the time to read post #3 again with an open mind this time.
    Its OK buddy you tried, there will be more in the not to distant future, you know its like the saying goes you can't teach an old dogs new tricks.
    Expert

May 3, 2009, 08:47 PM

Actually, yes, Tj3---people who are devoted to the belief of Darwinism are also a cult.

So are people who are devoted to a movie (look at the Star Wars movies as an example) or a book (The Lord of the Rings, anyone?).

ANY belief is subject to being a cult--whether that is the belief in Jesus, the belief in Allah, the belief in evolution, or the belief that the roast beef sandwich is the best invention ever. It's when a group gets together and DEFINES the belief, and disallows any variance of the belief to be the "real" belief that you have a cult.
    Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    its ok buddy you tried, there will be more in the not to distant future, you know its like the saying goes you can't teach an old dogs new tricks.
    Calling yourself an old dog, now? ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Okay so now we have a third leg of your definition - the organized group must teach the Bible, not anything else. If they teach the Koran is that okay or is that a cult? What about the Bhagavat Gita? What about science? What about evolution? What abolut literature in general? Where are the boundaries of what they can or cannot teach to be considered a cult under your definition, and upon what do you base this?
    You all brought the bible into this! You all claimed that people who adhere to the bible aren't cults, that's why I'm discussing groups that teach the bible. No one ever mentioned the Koran or anything else because I'm sure you all believe that they are cults in a negative way.

Any organized group that follows a certain religious belief is a cult.

My God Tom, are you running out of arguments, is that why you're nit picking everything to death?

I'm done.

I agree with Synnen, there is no sense discussing things with fanatics! I might as well just run in circles, I'd get further.

Over and out. Why don't you all just discuss things amongst yourselves?

I stick to what I believe, you stick to what you believe, it won't effect me anyway.

Bye now.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:55 PM
    You all brought the bible into this! You all claimed that people who adhere to the bible aren't cults, that's why I'm discussing groups that teach the bible. No one ever mentioned the Koran or anything else because I'm sure you all believe that they are cults in a negative way.
    First, don't try to assume what you think that I believe - you don't do well at it.

Right - I said people that adhere to the teachings of the Bible do not comply with the definition of a cult. It was then that you came up with a different definition which appears to be that every organized group that teaches the Bible is a cult. I am trying to understand your definition, what the limits are around it, and the basis for it.

To be quite honest, the definition sounds quite arbitrary and I have never heard anything remotely like it before.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Abide by the essential teachings of the Bible.
    Whose canon and which translation, and "essential" according to whom?

And just to save us all some time, don't serve up yet another heaping pile of that "the-Bible-interprets-itself" crap that you're so fond of. Where there's a reader, there IS an interpreter. If you aren't willing to claim it as your own, don't expect other people to take your interpretation seriously.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 09:00 PM
    How does the Bible make one exempt from being a cult?

A cult is, simply, a group of people that follow the same belief in an organized manner.

Frankly, the very IDEA that Christians think they are exempt from the same status as EVERY OTHER RELIGION scares the heck out of me.
    I could not agree more, scares me to
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy View Post
    Whose canon and which translation, and "essential" according to whom?
    There is one canon historically accepted by all Christians. In the last few hundred years, a few denominations (very few) added to the canon for their specific denominations. That does not change the canon accepted by Christianity as a whole.

Translation does not matter. Where differences occur, we go back to the original Greek. But translations have not affected essential teachings in any case.

We can go back to the 1st entury church and see what was essential to them.

And just to save us all some time, don't serve up yet another heaping pile of that "the-Bible-interprets-itself" crap that you're so fond of. Where there's a reader, there IS an interpreter. If you aren't willing to claim it as your own, don't expect other people to take your interpretation seriously.
    Just because you have difficulty reading without interpreting does not mean others do.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Calling yourself an old dog, now? ;)
    Lol no I'm only 30 didn't you hear 30 is the new 20. I commend you on your post and agree with you 100% ALLL THE WAY
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 09:14 PM

Then I misread your original post. Sorry, human, I sometimes miss things.

The Catholic school that I went to. We did a very long study on cults in religion class, and yes, we determined that all organized religious groups, including the Catholic church are indeed cults.

Once again, you seem to think that stating that these groups are a cult is a negative thing and in this case it isn't. It's just a definition, why are you all so upset about it?
    Alti I agree completely I also went to catholic school my entire life. Yes the church is a cult and there's nothing wrong with that. Most importantly there is nothing wrong with the word cult
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 09:48 PM
    Just because you have difficulty reading without interpreting does not mean others do.
    Everybody who reads, interprets, even you. The notion of reading without interpreting is preposterous. Give it up.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 09:50 PM
    Everybody who reads, interprets, even you. The notion of reading without interpreting is preposterous. Give it up.
    Like I said, if you find it hard, don't assume that no one else can just read and accept what it says.
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 06:26 AM
    Like I said, if you find it hard, don't assume that no one else can just read and accept what it says.
    If you think you can read something and understand "what it says" without interpreting it, you're deluding yourself. A literal interpretation is a choice you make, and if you're satisfied with it, that's fine. But it IS your choice, so don't pretend you aren't making it.
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 06:51 AM
    If you think you can read something and understand "what it says" without interpreting it, you're deluding yourself. A literal interpretation is a choice you make, and if you're satisfied with it, that's fine. But it IS your choice, so don't pretend you aren't making it.
    If I say "The sky is blue" - tell me your interpretation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Krishna a cult? [ 23 Answers ]

My family is very concerned about my nephew, he has recently joined a belief called Krishna consiousness. He thinks we are sinners and will reincarnate as animals because we eat meat. He has went to live in the temple, and now says he is going to become a munk for this belief. They have an alter...

Is this a cult? [ 12 Answers ]

My family has been very worried that my nephew is in a cult. He shaved his head except for a little tail in the back, He has insence burning all the time in his room when he's at home and not at this temple he calls it. He stays there for days at a time and has even went to New York with them and...

Murder investigation involving a cult. [ 1 Answers ]

My cousin swears we wanted to see a movie a year or two ago. A kidnapping or murder investigation leads to the discovery of a strange cult... She remembers that it was shot in Europe somewhere (France or Italy?? ), and that a major part of the plot had to do with an old man making odd hand...

Your definition of a cult. [ 66 Answers ]

What religions do you believe are cults and why

Cult [ 3 Answers ]

Can some one please tell me about cults and what is it exactly? Do they have a club? Are they good? ;) thank you Im just kidding about the club thing.

View more questions Search