Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fifthdaytragedy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 08:10 PM
    Car Accident Without Insurance
    I was in a car accident this afternoon. I was on a one way three lane street on the left lane. THe lady that hit me was in the middle lane and made a left turn not seeing me and ran right into me. I found out after the accident talking to my insurance company that my insurance expired. What does this mean for me. She has full coverage, and I thought I had full coverage. She admits on the police report she was at fault. Is there a good turn out for me. And what is the bad news for me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 08:16 PM

How long ago did your insurance expire? Didn't the company or your agent fill you in about this?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 09:14 PM

Be nice to your insurance company. Kiss their but and see what they can do for you. Re-instate the insurance.

Not being your fault is a plus. Being a long time policy holder is a plus. Good Accident free record is a plus.

You could be ticketed for driving without insurance. That's bad.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 04:15 AM

Depends on your State, how involved the Police are, how involved your insurance company is. In some States an accident with no insurance equals a suspended License.

Other times - depending on the circumstances - nothing happens.

Obviously your lack of insurance didn't cause the accident. There will be a problem if the other driver claims she was turning and you came up on her quickly, you made no attempt to avoid the accident - or whatever other reasons she can come up with.

What were the circumstances of the failure to have insurance because they could become important.

I recently investigated a no insurance accident, the Police were called, realized there was no insurance, did nothing - and then the driver drove off (still uninsured, obviously) and was arrested for driving without insurance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2009, 07:13 AM

Your lack of insurance will not matter if she assumes and admits fault to her carrier. However, if she doesn't, then you may wind up footing at least part of the bill.

The physical facts of the damage may help you. For example, if she hit you on the side of your car, then it would be pretty clear she turned into you. However if you hit her on the side of her care when she turned in front of you, that could make you at least partially at fault.

Apr 9, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Car accident no insurance
    I was in a car accident two days ago. I was on a one way three lane street on the left lane. THe lady that hit me was in the middle lane and made a left turn not seeing me and ran right into me. I found out after the accident talking to my insurance company that my insurance expired. What does this mean for me. She has full coverage, and I thought I had full coverage. She admits on the police report she was at fault. Is there a good turn out for me. And what is the bad news for me?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 09:48 PM

Depending on the state you live in, the punishment will vary. The fact that you didn't have insurance may not affect who pays for what, however, it will affect your driving privileges. Chances are, you may get your license suspended or lose your license.

Apr 9, 2009, 10:34 PM
    Car Accident Without Insurance
    I was in a car accident this afternoon. I was on a one way three lane street on the left lane. THe lady that hit me was in the middle lane and made a left turn not seeing me and ran right into me. I found out after the accident talking to my insurance company that my insurance expired. What does this mean for me. She has full coverage, and I thought I had full coverage. She admits on the police report she was at fault. Is there a good turn out for me. And what is the bad news for me?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 07:46 AM

Hello fifth:

The bad news is the cops could mail you a ticket for not being insured...

Make a claim on THEIR insurance and that should be the end of it.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2009, 07:50 AM

You have posted this same question in three different threads. I've merged the threads for you. Please read your answers instead of starting a new thread. If you have a follow-up question post it as a reply to this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Car Accident W/o Insurance. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was recently in an accident and just got married and let my insurance lapse so I could get the discount of being a married person when I paid for it again. I was rearended by a woman and subsequently hit the car in front of me also. My car is basically totalled and I sustained a good...

2 car accident with no insurance [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me with this. My husband was in a car accident where he rearended a woman's vehicle while entering a highway. The woman went to the hospital. My husband was not injured but both cars received bad damage. We were surprised to find out that we did not have coverage...

Accident with out insurance on my name [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was driving my mechanics vehicle as my car was in repair with him. I have a valid license and my mechanic's vehicle which I am driving is also insured but It does not have insurance on my name . I have insurance on my own car. I just hit a car though I slammed the brake . It was raining...

View more questions Search