Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovemison Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Is my refund check the same as my taxes?
    Ok I filed for my taxes and waited for them, I got a notice in the mail saying since I moved out of state they needed documentaion so I could get my money. Well I sent it out and a day later I got a refund check in the mail and I was curious if it was the same thing, and if it is I'm confused as to why I had to send that stuff out when they didn't even get my information yet?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 01:28 AM

I'm a wee bit confused over what you're saying. Are you saying the notice come from the IRS or from your former state of residence? What the IRS is doing is not the same thing as what the state is doing since they are two different things.

As for your taxes and refund being the same... um, they're kind of the opposite. Your taxes are what you either pay to the IRS or the portion of your withholding that they get to keep, i.e. what your actually tax liability for the year is. When the amount withheld from your paychecks is more than the amount of taxes the IRS actually wants from you, you get the over-payment in a refund. So taxes are the part you actually pay (or paid through withholding) and a refund is what you don't have to pay -- opposites.
    ilovemison Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 07:30 AM

Ooo I got the notice from the nj treasury I sent the stuff out but a day later I got a check and that's what confused me because I'm not sure if I'm getting more money now or if I just got it all?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 03:55 PM

There wouldn't be any way for anyone here to know what is going on with your taxes or how much you should be getting back.

If you moved out of NJ, then your taxes would be pro-rated in some fashion, but every state is different on how that is done, especially if you've also been working in your new state. If you did this incorrectly then they may have had to re-figure your taxes. However, the only way I could see them sending a refund and having it be wrong is if they discovered some information after they'd already sent it. But no one here can know what happened with your personal taxes.

You really need to be calling your state tax office about things like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Treasury Check for refund of overpaid taxes [ 20 Answers ]

Hi , I have received a US treasury check stating I over paid the taxes in 2005 and IRS is returning the money. The problem is the amount of the check I received is close to 50% of the my pay for entire year. I never over paid the taxes. I did my taxes for 2005 in March 2006 and I got...

Will I get a refund check in the mail ? [ 1 Answers ]

When I filed my taxes electronically it says that they will deposit my check in my checking account but something happened it didn't let me enter my account number. So I wonder if there's no checking account number there will they send me a check by mail

Is your stimulus refund check applied to taxes owed. [ 3 Answers ]

If you owe taxes from the previous year is the stimulus check applied to that? I received letter stating that I should receive check on 06/20/2008 and have still not received.

Government tax refund check [ 2 Answers ]

Im wondering if everybody that filed 2007 taxes is eligible to get the $600 check from the Government

Tax Refund Check [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed something on my federal tax refund check. Printed right under my name, it reads: 5.85 interest. I don't recall having ever seen this before but maybe it was there and I never noticed it before. Anyone have any idea what that means?

View more questions Search