Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kchend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 09:53 AM
    J1 Visa Holder filing tax return jointly or separately
    Hi My wife holds a J1 visa (visiting researcher) since October, 2007. We got married in 2008. I am a US citizen. My questions:
    1. Can she file 2008 tax as married-filing-jointly with me using 1040 form?
    2. Do I include her salary income (exempt from federal income tax as tax treaty benefits) on the joint return? If so, where is her income added (she does not have W-2 but 1042-S from her university?
    Thanks,
    David
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 01:27 PM

Yes, you can file joint return as residents. Then her J1 income is taxable. Also she must start paying FICA taxes from Jan 2009.
    Report 1042-S income where you put W2 income.
    kchend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Thanks million.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 10:52 AM
    It would be better if you filed Married Filing Separately and she retain her tax-exmpt status. However, YOU can claim HER personal exemption on your return if she is not using it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 visa holder-Filing Tax Return for individual [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am working in US since 15'th SEP 2007 on L1 visa. I will be filing my tax returns for the first time this year. I will be staying in US till 16'th MAR 2008. When I landed here I had to fill-u W2 tax declaration form & hand it over to my employer. I filled it with total coming to "3"....

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Married Filing Separately with G4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen married to a g4 visa holder at an international organization. She is exempt from US tax withholding. How do I file my tax return, married filing separately? Does this make me ineligable for education tax credits?

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife [ 1 Answers ]

I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine. I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006. For getting ITIN for my wife I...

View more questions Search