Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwn_us Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Grounding a ballast for t12
    Hi all,

I am installing a two bulb ceiling mounted fixture it uses two t12 bulbs. The problem is the ballast only has two wires white and black. The two wires coming out of the ceiling are white and black. No problem there. I hooked it up white to white and black to black---there was light for about 5 minutes. Then they go out. I got to looking and there is a green screw (obviously for ground) but no ground wire coming from ballast and not a "bare" or green wire included in packaging. So my question is what the heck? How do I ground this? Any help is greatly appreciated
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Does the wiring method in your house have a ground?
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Apr 6, 2009, 03:00 PM

There should be a metal box in the ceiling which should be grounded. If this is the case, run a wire (preferably green) from the green screw on the light fixture to the case of the box itself for a ground. If there is no box and you are hooking up wiring through the ceiling, you might want to back up & restart. The electrical junction box should have been mounted first. It is not included in any light fixture. You purchase & install that separately.

Apr 6, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Yes there is a metal j box. But I didn't think running a wire from just the green screw would ground the ballast itself.

Apr 6, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Provided there is a grounding method present (not guaranteed) running a wire form the box to the green screw WILL ground the ballast. The ballast is screwed to the fixture and so is the green screw.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Apr 6, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Does the wiring method in your house have a ground?
    The question is: Does the wiring include the third wire for ground? This is the wiring running through the ceiling. If the wiring is only two wires, then everything changes.

Apr 6, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bones252100 View Post
    The question is: Does the wiring include the third wire for ground? This is the wiring running through the ceiling. If the wiring is only two wires, then everything changes.
    No, my question stands. A green or bare wire is not the only type of equipment ground.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 05:08 PM
    About this fixture... is it a new fixture? Is it a magnetic or electronic ballast? Generally a fluorescent light has difficulty lighting without a good ground but once it's lit it stays lit. Sounds like a ballast issue rather than grounding issue.

Apr 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Yes it is new and electronic. It came on fine, stayed on for 5 min and then went off. I think thermal protection cut it off. There is a green screw on the fixture itself but no green or bare wire included. I guess the thing to do is connect ground screw to j box and see if that remedies the situation.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 07:12 PM
    I doubt it will. Are you using the correct bulb? If so and voltage is correct, I suspect you have a bad ballast. Trust me, it happens more than you would think. You do need the ground, however. Make that your first priority.

Apr 6, 2009, 07:22 PM
    I do agree. The ground is not your problem. Sorry we got off topic there.

If it lights at all then the ground is not really an issue.

Electronic ballasts do not get very hot so the thermal idea may not be right either. Hard to say.

The only thing is every electronic ballast that I have seen go bad just dies. As in will not come on, at all.
    erikengquist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 09:24 PM
    I am installing a new fluorescent fixture with two bulbs, and cannot ground the ballast. There is a green ground wire attached at one end to the metal cover of the fixture, and the other end of the green wire is just loose. What do I connect it to? All I have coming out of the wall is a tube with a pair of black wires (connected to each other) and a pair of white wires (also connected to each other).
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2012, 05:56 AM
    With only hot and neutral wires at the outlet box, and no equipment ground, you have no choise but to install a new cable with a grounding conductor to this fixture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ballast [ 7 Answers ]

What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:

My ballast won't work I think do to 120V supply when it's a 240V ballast will this work [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 240V 60Hz 600W ballast and Im trying to hook it up in a small nursury room in my home. I like in California so I think the V ac is 120. Can I use this converter on the top of this page. Will it work if I plug it in to the wall that supplies what I think 120V. I think this because on the...

Ballast Hum [ 3 Answers ]

We recently added new office space in the basement of our home. I bought three fluorescent fixtures 48" with 4 T-8 32 watt bulbs in each one. These were Home Depot's "Best" quality with electronic ballasts and were supposed to be "noise free." Well, the first thing I noticed when they were...

New ballast bad? [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a 4 bulb light fixture in the grage (110V) using a 4 bulb ballast. The problem I'm having is one bulb doesn't come on. I've changed bulbs and still the samething. I'm thinking it probably the ballast. Any ideas? Omar

Ballast question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a ballast that works on 240 volt normal single phase house power. My question is will it work in a warehouse that is 240 volt power. The supply is 600 volt 60 amp. My understanding is this is 3 phase power. How does that work? Also what is the difference between single...

View more questions Search