Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Apr 6, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Pros/Cons of Breast feeding vs. formula feeding.
    I have heard that if you don't breast feed your baby will have an unhealthy immune system (although I am pretty healthy, and was bottle fed), and I have also heard horror sotries about breast feeding. What are good vs. bad of breast feeding/bottle feeding?:D:D
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 12:39 PM

How breastfeeding benefits you and your baby | BabyCenter

I've been BF my baby for 9 months now and despite SOME minor difficulties, I wouldn't change it for the world. It feels so good to be able to provide your baby with something so great and the bonding that comes with it is unbelievable. The best thing you can do to make your breast feeding experience a good and productive one is to do a lot of reading beforehand. The first few weeks are crucial! Breastfeeding is very convenient, helps you lose baby weight, and most importantly is VERY good for your little one. Let me know if you'd like to know anything else. While saying this, there are some people out there who claim breastfeeding just wasn't for them... and that's fine. Your baby will thrive on formula as well but there just aren't as many health benefits for you or the baby.
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Apr 6, 2009, 01:31 PM

Even if you don't breastfeed just getting your baby the colostrum (sorry if it's spelled wrong.. the yellow stuff that comes before the milk) is the best thing for them!
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Apr 6, 2009, 04:53 PM

I was unfortunately unable to breastfeed my son, I had to be on very high doses of blood pressure meds which we not good for my baby. I had no choice but to use formula. If I had I choice I would have breastfed. Formula caused my little one to be constipated, it is not very convenient. One good thing about it was, if you are shy like me, it was easy to do in public. As far as the immune system is concerned. My son is now 15 months old and had only has one cold and one about of the stomach flu, so he is very healthy.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 04:58 PM

I breastfed both of my children, the first for 10 months, the second well into her second year. The connection between you and your child is amazing.

Breast is best, if you can manage it, but if you can't bottle feeding is a very good alternative.

Make sure that you don't get a formula high in iron, your baby will get constipated as it's very hard to digest, even for us adults. Besides, most formulas have iron, no need for extra.

Be warned. Breast fed babies have easier bowel movements and the smell isn't nearly as bad as a bottle fed baby.

What I loved best about breast feeding was that I could do it anywhere without having to carry bottles, asking stores to heat it in their microwave, always had enough with me, and no clean up afterwards. Also, I could get up in the middle of the night, grab my baby, bring him/her to bed with me and breastfeed while resting.

There are so many perks to breastfeeding, the most important is the natural immunity you will pass down to your child via your milk.

It's there for a reason, the perfect food for your child.

Good luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 05:09 AM

Breastmilk is a complete food that has living properties to provide your baby with some immunity and antibacterial protections... it can be used for stuffy noses, eye infections, and ear infections for example.

In addition to the many benefits to baby, it offers benefits to mom as well... such as decreasinig the incidence of certain types of cancers and offering some protection against osteoporosis. The longer you are able to breastfeed, the more benefits for both mother and baby. Some of the benefits are life long and not just during the time that you are breastfeeding.

Breastmilk changes to meet your baby's nutritional and developmental needs... what you produce at 1 month is different from what you would produce at 5 months. Extended breastfeeding can offer some protection against certain allergies and asthma.

Most problems that arrise can often be remedied if support is sought out early on. It is a natural and normal way to feed baby, but it doesn't always come easily, so patience and persistence is sometimes necessary.

It is definitely a commitment, and can be time consuming, especially in the early weeks.
    Formula fed babies tend to go longer between feedings so parents might get a bit more sleep in the beginning. While others can feed baby right from the start if formula fed, breastfeeding mothers will often express milk after several weeks so that others can occasionally feed baby as well.

Breastmilk makes some illness less likely for baby, but it doesn't mean breastfed babies will never get sick or that formula fed babies are destined to be ill all the time.

There are times when breastfeeding just won't be an option, whether through choice or medical need. Sometimes it is a temporary situation... and breastfeeding can resume at a later time. Some mothers find doing some of both works best for them.
    Tandah Posts: 67, Reputation: 5

Apr 8, 2009, 01:48 PM

Breastfeeding is amazing!!
    That is one thing I look forward when I found out I was pregnant again.
    It's a bond you have with your baby, that no one else can experience with your child. You don't have to worry about bottles when you have to go out. Very easy for the night feedings, you don't even have to get out of bed!
    If you need a break, you can pump so your husband can feed as well.
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2009, 12:54 PM

I am a single mom of twins and work full time so honestly I could not breastfeed, I choose Formula and my 1 year old twins are healthy and great.
    christinacounci Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 08:44 PM
    What cons? The way I see it, there is no downside to breastfeeding. It is convenient, healthy and free!
    libalm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2011, 07:10 AM
    Breastfeeding is great but has some cons as well. Sore and cracked nipples, mastitis, thrush, time consumption. While you are breastfeeding you cannot do anything else but when you are sterilizing bottles for example you can start laundry:) So there are cons to breastfeeding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breast feeding [ 2 Answers ]

Can breast feeding make your breast larger?

Breast feeding diet. [ 8 Answers ]

Will it affect my baby's breast milk if I take my prenatial vit. And DHA pills and not eat very much?:confused:

Breast feeding [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am 25 weeks pregnant and I was wondering with my first son I bottle feed with my second one he was only 2 pounds so he could not breast feed however I pumped for 2 months for him but I am a very busy mom of going to be three and when I pumped I stayed so wore out that I couldn't even stay...

Cows milk or formula for a 3 month old.pros and cons [ 6 Answers ]

Need to know what is good for a 3 month old... formula or cows milk

Problems breast-feeding [ 3 Answers ]

My question is how do I know if I have a clogged milk duct... I've been breast-feeding a little over 8 months and yesterday morning my left breast began to get really sore and I've feed more off it thinking it was too full but its still reallly sore... its only on my left breast on the botton a...

View more questions Search