Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ngasnier Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Reduce/eliminate elec pwr usage by flipping circuit breaker?
    Does anyone know if you can reduce/eliminate "standby" electrical power usage of major appliances if you flip off the circuit breaker for them when not in use?

I have heard that unplugging appliances reduces the standby power but it can be a hazard unplugging it so many times...

Also frequently the plug is not even into a main, & sometimes it is not even visible!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ngasnier View Post
    Does anyone know if you can reduce/eliminate "standby" electrical power usage of major appliances if you flip off the circuit breaker for them when not in use?

I have heard that unplugging appliances reduces the standby power but it can be a hazard unplugging it so many times...
    IMO the only "danger", for lack of a better word, is wearing out the plug and receptacle.

I don't think you'd EVER see a noticeable difference in your bill by unplugging things that are in standby mode. These things do not draw more than a couple of watts while in standby.

Quote Originally Posted by ngasnier View Post
    also frequently the plug is not even into a main, & sometimes it is not even visible!
    I have NO Idea what this means.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Apr 6, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Concur with StanFortyMan. Little would be gained by disconnecting devices in standby.

If you are this serious about conserving electrical energy, replace all incandescent light bulbs with fluorescent replacements. The investment can be considerable up front but will pay for itself in one year. The additional benefit are that they last a lot longer and produce a lot less heat which reduces the energy required for cooling.
    The biggest killer is leaving lights on in an unused room. The missus is constantly coming behind me turning off lights.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 07:19 PM
    There is a device called the "kill a watt" YOu plug anything into it and it tells you what it consumes in electricity. It can be programmed to your utility rate and tell you exactly what something is costing you. They are about $30 - 40 depending on the model. But I'll bet Bones is right regarding lighting... a bunch of small loads add up fast.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 12:51 AM

I found, when my brother stayed with me for a season, that leaving the TV on will run up your bill faster than most other things. I like to use a lot of lights, but as most of my bulbs are CFLs, it doesn't affect me more than a couple dollars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

Minimize, Reduce, Eliminate Debt [ 22 Answers ]

Hi there, I am here seeking help from my wonderful AMHD family. Now, as you most know, I recently got rid of some debt ((yay me!)) But NOW, I've seemed to have accumulated more, how this happens, don't ask me. But I am not here seeking lectures or finger wagging, but tips and advice on how...

Keep flipping breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have run new wire from one outlet to a switch to another outlet, for some reason while the switch is on everything works fine, when I switch it off it throws the breaker. I am running the switch to operate a garbage disposal so I can't very well leave it running all the time. Starting to get...

Gfi circuit - can I eliminate one receptacle? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace a dual switch/receptacle in the middle of a GFI series - with just a switch (the dual switch/receptacle is not available in the designer color I want). Can I do this and maintain the GFI protection of the downstream receptacles?

View more questions Search