Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    Here's a possibility. You keep your seperate bank accounts, but you create a new joint account. Every month you each put in a fixed amount, let's say $1000 each. So every month you have $2000 to pay for all the bills that you have. If there is extra money, it carries over to the next month. So in one year, you each put in $12000 for a total of $24000 to pay for all your bills. That way, everything is evenly split. If you break up, all you have to do is split the money in that account in half and each get back their equal share.
    The problem is my income is substantially more limited then his. So each contributing equally is not working and especially contributing equally in excess.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    The problem is my income is substantially more limited then his. So each contributing equally is not working and especially contributing equally in excess.
    So what do you want? Do you want him to loan you money interest free so that you can repay your debts. Then repay him slowly. Once you repaid him, you can start paying your share equally?

If you can't keep up with 50/50, then what's the point of merging finances? Is he willing to pay most of your bills? What's in it for him if you merged financially?
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 12:59 PM
    So what do you want? Do you want him to loan you money interest free so that you can repay your debts. Then repay him slowly. Once you repaid him, you can start paying your share equally?

If you can't keep up with 50/50, then what's the point of merging finances? Is he willing to pay most of your bills? What's in it for him if you merged financially?
    Gee I wouldn't know, I would think that merging financially is what couples would do. I am not sitting at home running up all the bills I can. I just don't imagine the future works well with Mine/Yours never Ours. If we are splitting bills, to me that means roommates, not a relationship. There shouldn't have to be anything in it for him to merge.

Why should I be expected to keep up with 50/50 when my income is less than his and my personal expenses are greater at this time? I want to be with someone who doesn't put $20 in my gas tank and put it on my tab at the end of the month because he makes twice my income.

Also, it isn't debt, it is currently running attorneys bills that we are talking about, I am not asking him to pay my debt.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:01 PM

And Liz28

I have been a member for a long time and I am looking for a solution other than ending a five year relationship. I didn't asked to be attacked for asking for assistance, but thanks anyway.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:10 PM
    and Liz28

I have been a member for a long time and I am looking for a solution other than ending a five year relationship. I didn't asked to be attacked for asking for assistance, but thanks anyway.
    Wow, I been a member of this site a long time too and would like to know where and when on your thread, or any other thread, I attack you?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:11 PM

I would do as NeedKarma suggested and use a weighted average system revolving around your percentage of income... I think that makes a for a fair situation... it levels the playing field, so to speak, if he isn't ready to totally combine income.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Me and my fiance do things differently.

He pays the full amount of rent and car payments. I pay the electric, cable,phone (home cell), and car insurance. We split the grocery bill and pay our own credit cards bills.

This works for us but you and your fiance have to work out a plan that works for the both of you.
    And here is by original post on page 2, I see no attack.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
    I think when you agree with questioning why I wouldn't be comfortable in a 50/50 set up and say you don't get it... I didn't ask you to get it, it bothers me as a person and I would expect that I am not asking everyone to "get it." I felt like that was an attack.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren6 View Post
    My partner and I merged finances years ago. It's really important to have similar values where money is concerned, at least in my opinion. Neither my partner or I had any debt. We never carried a balance on our credit cards, etc. Money is one of the main things that split couples apart. If you're both pretty similar in your spending and saving habits, and plan to be together long term, then go ahead. If not....disaster awaits!

Edit:
    I don't think differences in income should figure too heavily into this, as long as the spending/saving habits are similar.
    He makes close to $75K per year and I make closer to $32K, I think it is a substantial difference to take into consideration, but maybe because I don't earn as much as he does.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 01:29 PM
    I think when you agree with questioning why I wouldn't be comfortable in a 50/50 set up and say you don't get it... I didnt ask you to get it, it bothers me as a person and I would expect that I am not asking everyone to "get it." I felt like that was an attack.
    Sorry, it wasn't intended to be an attack. We are very confused as to what "merging" means. Sounds like you want to put both your money and debts together into one pot and go from there.

Keep separate accounts. But create a joint account to pay common bills. If you do not believe that you are spending 50% of the bills, then reduce it to 10% or however much you believe is right for you.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:30 PM

I agreed with I Wish on the point he made "f you can't keep up with 50/50, then what's the point of merging finances?". And I wrote his comment box "I don't get it either" and that is consider an attack on you. Okay, I get it now.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    I agreed with I Wish on the point he made "f you can't keep up with 50/50, then what's the point of merging finances?". And I wrote his comment box "I don't get it either" and that is consider an attack on you. Okay, I get it now.
    It's not really that I can't "keep up" with 50/50, but it is VERY difficult to be the person in a relationship who can't go out or have any personal money while her partner is out spending money when and where ever. I was looking for suggestions to help so this isn't something we break up over.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 05:19 PM
    I think Need Karmas idea is the best for non married couples, and whether you believe it or not, it makes a difference in the eyes of the law, and splitting personal property, and accounts.

Ideally you should throw it all in the pot, pay all the bills, and split the rest between you, for your allowances, to do as you will. That's how we have always done it.

I think it starts with a budget, that's shows where the money does go, and build from there. When I was single we paid our own freight, and lived within our means. (separate accounts and obligations)

Who has the biggest bills any way?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I think Need Karmas idea is the best for non married couples, and whether you believe it or not, it makes a difference in the eyes of the law,
    We are married and it actually doesn't make a difference in the eyes of the law here in Canada anyway. My wife is (well was up until last year) a family lawyer so I've learned a few things from her.

Ideally you should throw it all in the pot,
    There is no "ideal" situation, couple do what's comfortable for them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 08:14 PM
    I think Need Karmas idea is the best for non married couples, and whether you believe it or not, it makes a difference in the eyes of the law, and splitting personal property, and accounts.

Ideally you should throw it all in the pot, pay all the bills, and split the rest between you, for your allowances, to do as you will. Thats how we have always done it.

I think it starts with a budget, thats shows where the money does go, and build from there. When I was single we paid our own freight, and lived within our means. (separate accounts and obligations)

Who has the biggest bills any way?
    We have found some common ground after a many lengthy conversations this weekend, tonights conversation went alot better. I know that the primary financial struggle is my custody fees that pile on faster than I alone can maintain them. Faltering in paying them could mean horrible repricussions to the ending verdict.

I feel like although it's about money to me, it's also about having someone running an expense account in a relationship for any expenses, down to gasoline that they pay on the other's behalf. Although I was considering his side of the issue with the attorney bills being mine only, after five years, I expected more of a partnership then I was getting.

Needkarma's solution was the best compromise that we could have between us for some common ground. I know that finances can destroy couples and I have always had a more generous nature, not mentally calculating who is ahead (and I have been in relationships where I was the bread winner) and his way is very it's your responsibility. I think that is what hurt more then living by a separate (one non-existant and one existant) personal allowances. From a couple who had previously spent their time going out to play poker together, to one partner who can still afford it and the other partner struggling to make ends meet.

We will make it through this. Thank you for the solutions and input. I realize every couple is different and what works for some, won't work for others. I was looking for the solution that might work for us. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking & Finances. [ 2 Answers ]

On the weekdays, my wife works late (comes home around 7-7:30pm) so I make dinner (and I happen to enjoy cooking). On the weekends we eat out. However, with this schedule my wife doesn't cook. Is it wrong for me to expect my wife to cook for us once in a while at least? The reason I'm asking...

Step Family Finances [ 11 Answers ]

My family situation: I am married (1.5 yrs) to a man who has 4 girls to 3 different moms. I have two sons. We pay child support for 1 of the girls, 1 lives with us, 1 lives on her own, the other is handicapped so she receives government support. Background info: I moved into my husband's home...

Finances [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all psychics and tarot card readers Will my finances be better for the new year. 2005 Thank Reni

View more questions Search