Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    menaceman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 02:49 AM
    Flash drive no volume
    I have 16gig usb flash drive when inserted no volume is recognised and windows can't determine what size it is so natural won't allow to be formatted when I go too the drive letter I go too properties then go to volume and click on populate under unallocated space it shows the 16 gig where it should read 0 this has just happened it was working normaly before as it a realatively new flash drive any suggestions would be appreciated
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 03:51 AM

1. Insert the flash drive.

2. Go to Device Manager (Start | Run |"devmgmt.msc" | OK). Under "Disk Drives" locate your flash drive and uninstall it.

3. Click the "Scan For Hardware Changes" (the icon or also under "Action") and let it reinstall.

4. See if that fixes your problem. If not, post back.
    menaceman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by menaceman View Post
    i have 16gig usb flash drive when inserted no volume is recognised and windows can't determine what size it is so natural wont allow to be formatted when i go too the drive letter i go too properties then go to volume and click on populate under unallocated space it shows the 16 gig where it should read 0 this has just happened it was working normaly before as it a realatively new flash drive any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks for that but it did not solve the problem at all I just don't know what to do next please help
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 06:15 AM

Does the flash drive seem to work properly on other computers?
    bert_bert_69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 05:50 AM

Hi my friend menacman put this to you and I just logged in for the first time the flash drive does the same thing on all 3 PC that I have and I just don't know what's going on with it at all I have only used it 2 times that it windows see it but can not do much with it do you think that its stuffed.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 05:58 AM

If you can't reformat the flash drive, it most likely has an internal problem and will have to be replaced.
    donkeyjeans Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    If you can't reformat the flash drive, it most likely has an internal problem and will have to be replaced.
    Actually, you may be able to recover the drive by using the instructions in this article about fixing USB drives. Just be sure to follow the instructions well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

An erased usb flash drive [ 2 Answers ]

My usb flash drive has been giving me an error message of please insert a disk in drive Eand in properties am getting zero bytes of free space.please help.

USB Flash Drive [ 4 Answers ]

What is the largest GB that a USB Flash Drive come in?

Flash drive [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I cannot install flash drive (USB) in Windows'98, is simply cannot detect it every time I connect a flash to my PC. Can suggest how to use a flash with Windows'98? Thank you all in advance.

How do I unprotect a flash drive? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I unprotect (disable write protection) on a flash drive with no external write protection switch. The drive is a PNY 4GB Attaché enhanced for ReadyBoost which is what it was used for one time in Vista. I wish to format the drive or eliminate the write protection so I can use it for other...

Imation Flash Drive [ 2 Answers ]

My Imation Flash Drive 2.0 (2 GB) is not respondin any PC, Why? Help me. Muneer

View more questions Search