Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    We know what you THINK Scriptures say. But quote some passage that says, “complete, and all that you need”.
    Already did.

Yes, he certainly didn't have New Testament Scriptures to read. What do you think he was doing all those years after being struck by the 'light'? Writing his epistles so that he can then turnaround and read them, and thereby becoming enlightened? Boy, even that one doesn't take much wattage.
    I see your rambling about something but what is your point?

So they searched the New Testaments? Or the Septuagint, maybe even the book of Maccabees?
    The book of Maccabees was not accept by any denomination as scripture until your denomination did at the council of Trent, and that was despite Maccabees internally denying inspiration, so that was not referred to as scripture.

Now it appears that you are saying that large parts of the NT (or all of the NT) is not scripture - was that your point?

You keep bringing up the Septuagint for some reason - do you have a point to make about it as a translation?

Where is it implied or stated that they taught anything else but orthodox Catholic faith?

JoeT
    Well, for one thing, your denomination did not exist, and secondly many of your denominational teachings came much later.

But what are you trying to do - turn this into a Bible versus your denominational teachings thread?
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    We still don't know who wrote all of them - so what? Where is the supposed contradiction?
    So you don't believe (or know) that it was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John who wrote the Gospels?

Catholic Tradition has always held that the authors were the individuals whose name they bear. No ghost writers

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 07:37 PM
    So you don't beleive (or know) that it was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John who wrote the Gospels?
    Who said that? Why must you put up strawman arguments instead of dealing with what was said? Is it too hard to actually deal with the real points which have been made?
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Well, for one thing, your denomination did not exist
    Then there is a stupendous problem needing resolution. Where does the Scriptures come from? How did it come to you from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John? I'm interested in hearing the story?

JoeT
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Then there is a stupendous problem needing resolution. Where does the Scriptures come from? How did it come to you from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John? I'm interested in hearing the story?
    Joe, when I took theology courses (probably before you were born) at a Christian college, this was common knowledge in Christendom:

Mark was the first Gospel, with Matthew and Luke borrowing passages both from that Gospel and from at least one other common source, lost to history, termed by scholars 'Q' (from German: Quelle, meaning "source"). John was written last and shares little with the synoptic gospels.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:05 PM

JoeT
    You see a problem with prophetic revelation?
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Joe, when I took theology courses (probably before you were born) at a Christian college, this was common knowledge in Christendom:

Mark was the first Gospel, with Matthew and Luke borrowing passages both from that Gospel and from at least one other common source, lost to history, termed by scholars 'Q' (from German: Quelle, meaning "source"). John was written last and shares little with the synoptic gospels.
    Before I was born?

Most orthodox Catholic theologians hold that the authors are those whose name are born by the Gospel. This has been a long standing tradition of the Church; well, at least since they were written. I looked at the 'Q' years ago, but it might surprise you to know that many don't believe there is a missing Gospel. It's funny that many of the proponents of the Q come from Scripture Only communities - seems like a contradition to me. Its based on parallel and synoptic gospels verses found in Matthew, Mark and Luke, and on Mark being the first published Gospel, which can't be proven. Out of thin air a new list of quotes supposedly made by Christ. Without any historical document as evidence the Q should be held with great suspect. It's my understanding - could be wrong - the Q has fallen out of favor even with its own proponents.

Even if the Q did exist, it doesn't provide a historical line from the Scriptures we have today to the Apostles that wrote them. This is the chain that Tj must break; the reason should be obvious to all.

JoeT
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 08:36 PM
    Before I was born?
    When were you born?

Akoue would be a good reference for current thinking re Q.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
    When were you born?

Akoue would be a good reference for current thinking re Q.
    When was I born? Well let’s see Moses was still in knickers (well it can seem that way sometimes) and Alger Hiss is convicted of perjury; the Knesset passes a resolution that states Jerusalem is the capital of Israel; President Harry S. Truman announces a program to develop the hydrogen bomb.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:44 PM
    You see a problem with prophetic revelation?
    This doesn’t tell the story. I'd like to hear it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:46 PM
    This doesn’t tell the story. I'd like to hear it.
    Perhaps you see a problem that I don't. I don't even see what you think might be a problem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Jesus - he did not found a denomination
    His life and teachings were the foundation for a church that evolved into a catholic church that evolved into the Catholic Church which then split into Eastern and Western divisions.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 08:50 PM
    When was I born? Well let’s see Moses was still in knickers (well it can seem that way sometimes) and Alger Hiss is convicted of perjury; the Knesset passes a resolution that states Jerusalem is the capital of Israel; President Harry S. Truman announces a program to develop the hydrogen bomb.
    Yes, before you were born.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:51 PM
    His life and teachings were the foundation for a church that evolved into a catholic church that evolved into the Catholic Church which then split into Eastern and Western divisions.
    Many denominations (in fact most) can rightfully say the same thing - so what?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Many denominations (in fact most) can rightfully say the same thing - so what?
    No, they can't. The early church evolved into the Catholic Church. That was THE Christian Church throughout the western world for centuries.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:57 PM
    Yes, before you were born.

Well in that case it's no fair picking on the kids in the class!
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Perhaps you see a problem that I don't. I don't even see what you think might be a problem.

How do you know that Scriptures are Holy unless there is an Authority to validate that claim? If the Catholic Church doesn’t do this then who does? I see you as having a big problem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Well in that case it's no fair picking on the kids in the class!
    I wasn't in college yet, but... *breaks into tears*
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 09:18 PM
    No, they can't. The early church evolved into the Catholic Church. That was THE Christian Church throughout the western world for centuries.
    You may believe that to be the case, but there were others. And the one true church was not a denomination in any case, so I am not sure where you are heading with this or what your point is.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 09:18 PM
    How do you know that Scriptures are Holy unless there is an Authority to validate that claim?
    Are you looking for a higher authority than God?

We must have greatly different views because I don't believe there is any higher authority.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Help with a scripture [ 10 Answers ]

I am pregnant and going to have a daughter. I haven't been a Christian for long, but I know in the Bible it talks about how women shouldn't cut their hair. Can someone help me find this scripture so I can explain to my husband why I do not wish to cut our daughters hair. ( he thinks its stupid.)

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean?

Scripture alone? [ 405 Answers ]

The Scriptures say that the Church is the Pillar and Ground of Truth (1 Tim 3:15) and that if we don't hear the Church (Matt 18:17) we should be treated as heathen. Yet some people say we should neglect the Church and listen to Scripture alone? Why, if doing so is to disobey Scripture?

View more questions Search