Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Alty, don't threaten - that is not appropriate for posting in a thread. If you are going to try to get it closed because others which to actually discuss the topic, then go ahead, do what you want. I really don't don't care.

If you decide to actually add value, you are always welcome, but disruptive comments are not.
    Threaten? Did you read what I wrote?

Enough!

Sorry everyone, but once again one person is trying to rule the thread by posting accusations and lies, so it's time to report.

God bless.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Threaten? Did you read what I wrote?

Enough!

Sorry everyone, but once again one person is trying to rule the thread by posting accusations and lies, so it's time to report.

God bless.
    Alty, is this going to be your new approach to disrupting every thread that I go on? Posting threats? (and yes, accusations and lies).
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Comment removed.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 07:47 PM

Let's try this again...

Akoue,

It is not creative editing - I am trying to understand your position. BTW, in post 407 is another example where you said that it says that scripture is not complete:

"We get nowhere because it doesn't say that Scripture is complete."

Without a lengthy post just answer the question YES or No.

Do you accept that the verse uses the word "complete"?

Let's start with small points first and then build on that if we can get past this one point. If we can, then after that we can try once again to discuss what it means in that context.

BTW, your demeaning personal comments are not helping your credibility. Kindly dispense with them. You always seem to resort to that tactic when other tactics to obfuscate things fail.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Do you accept that the verse uses the word "complete"?
    2 Timothy 3:16-17 (New King James Version) 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Yes, verse 16 uses the word "profitable." According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Prof·it·able
    Pronunciation: \ˈprä-fə-tə-bəl, ˈpräf-tə-bəl\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 14th century
    : affording profits : yielding advantageous returns or results

According to verse 16, "All Scripture...is profitable," i.e. yields advantageous results.

Yes, verse 17 uses the word "complete." To what does it refer? It refers to "the man of God." In fact, English teachers all over the world will tell us that "complete" is a predicate nominative referring to "the man of God" since "may be" is an intransitive verb.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    2 Timothy 3:16-17 (New King James Version) 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Yes, verse 16 uses the word "profitable." According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary:

prof·it·able
    Pronunciation: \ˈprä-fə-tə-bəl, ˈpräf-tə-bəl\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 14th century
    : affording profits : yielding advantageous returns or results

According to verse 16, "All scripture...is profitable," i.e., yields advantageous results.

Yes, verse 17 uses the word "complete." To what does it refer? It refers to "the man of God." In fact, English teachers all over the world will tell us that "complete" is a predicate nominative referring to "the man of God" since "may be" is an intransitive verb.
    Okay, I went through this once before, and now let's go through this once again. First, I started at verse 15 (not verse 16)

2 Tim 3:13-17
    14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    NKJV

Note that this says that scripture is provides the following:

- What you need to know about the gospel of salvation Jesus Christ
    - Everything that is necessary for the man of God to be complete and thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Now, if it tells us everything that we need to know to be saved, and if it tells us everything that we need to know to be complete as a man of God, and to be thoroughly equipped for every good work, in what way is it incomplete? In what way is it deficient?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Now, if it tells us everything that we need to know to be saved, and if it tells us everything that we need to know to be complete as a man of God, and to be thoroughly equipped for every good work, in what way is it incomplete?
    That passage doesn't say that "it tells us everything." It only says that "the Holy Scriptures... make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." There may be other things that make us wise.

My mother made me wise for baking cookies, but the 4-H Club also made me wise, as did my paternal grandmother.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
    That passage doesn't say that "it tells us everything." It only says that "the Holy Scriptures...make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." There may be other things that make us wise.
    So you don't think that this says that it provides us with adequate information to be saved?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 09:09 PM
    So you don't think that this says that it provides us with adequate information to be saved?
    That isn't what you claim. You claim it says "everything" we need to be saved. That is your argument for sola scriptura and that there's no need for Tradition.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
    That isn't what you claim. You claim it says "everything" we need to be saved.
    That is my question - are you claiming that it DOES NOT contain everything that we need to know to be saved?
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 09:15 PM
    That is my question - are you claiming that it DOES NOT contain everything that we need to know to be saved?

No, Scripture doesn’t reveal all of God's Truths, e.g. the Trinity
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 09:15 PM
    You've changed the game, Tom.

We're talking about the passage in 2 Timothy.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 09:20 PM

We're talking about the passage in 2 Timothy.
    Exactly, so please answer my question regarding your understanding of this passage and what it says - are you claiming that it DOES NOT contain everything that we need to know to be saved?

2 Tim 3:14-17
    14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
    NKJV
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    No, Scripture doesn’t reveal all of God's Truths, e.g. the Trinity
    Really? What aspects of the trinity do you think are omitted from the Bible?

- Do you think that the Bible does not say that the Holy Spirit is God?
    - Do you think that it does not say that Jesus is God?
    - Do you think that it does not say that there is only one God?

Or are there other aspects of the trinity that you believe are missing from scripture? Please be specific.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
    Really? What aspects of the trinity do you think are omitted from the Bible?

Or are there other aspects of the trinity that you believe are missing from scripture? Please be specific.
    The Scriptures are not complete, and we know that because John explains that Christ said that there are yet many things which you cannot bear. These are things yet to be revealed to the Church through the Holy Spirit.

I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now. But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth. For he shall not speak of himself: but what things soever he shall hear, he shall speak. And the things that are to come, he shall show you. John 16:12-13

I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I have not said to the seed of Jacob: Seek me in vain. I am the Lord that speak justice, that declare right things. Isaiah 45:19

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    The Scriptures are not complete, and we know that because John explains that Christ said that there are yet many things which you cannot bear. These are things yet to be revealed to the Church through the Holy Spirit.
    But it does not say that there is anything that we need to know and if it has not been revealed to the church, either in or outside of scripture, that means that this argument does not in any way impact the fact that scripture is the standard of truth in doctrine.

I noticed that you did not answer my question regarding the aspects of the doctrine of the trinity that you say are missing from scripture.

What aspects of the trinity do you think are omitted from the Bible?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

Help with a scripture [ 10 Answers ]

I am pregnant and going to have a daughter. I haven't been a Christian for long, but I know in the Bible it talks about how women shouldn't cut their hair. Can someone help me find this scripture so I can explain to my husband why I do not wish to cut our daughters hair. ( he thinks its stupid.)

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean?

Scripture alone? [ 405 Answers ]

The Scriptures say that the Church is the Pillar and Ground of Truth (1 Tim 3:15) and that if we don't hear the Church (Matt 18:17) we should be treated as heathen. Yet some people say we should neglect the Church and listen to Scripture alone? Why, if doing so is to disobey Scripture?

View more questions Search