Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kashri Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Resident alien with 1042-S. follow up query
    I know this issue has been addressed to a good extent in an older thread: I got a 1042-S form but am a resident alien

In short, two solutions were suggested:
    1. (correct way) Ask the employer to cancel 1042-S and send new 1099M
    2. (practical way) file the 1042S reporting the income and deduction

I need help with using the 2nd solution. I have a 1042-S that shows some Fed tax withheld. As suggested in the referenced thread, I noted down the reported gross income in 1042-S as other income (item #21) in form 1040. But where exactly on the form should I mention the withheld tax in 1040? Also, do I need to add another form or paper

FYI, I am international student, resident alien for tax purposes for 2008 (non-resident alien until 2007) and have a W2 other than the 1042-S.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 08:18 AM

What is income code in box 1?
    You may have to report it as W2 income or 1099-misc income depending upon the income code.

Apr 5, 2009, 08:34 AM

The income code in box 1 is 15. The description from the back of 1042-S says 'scholarship or fellowship grants'. It was basically a one-time scholarship for attending a conference.

Could you please elaborate on how should I report it as W2-income or 1099-misc income? Is there any supporting document I need to prepare/attach?

Thank you
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 08:59 AM

If you are a degree candidate and if the financial aid (includes scholarship and fellowship) is for tuition fee, other fees, books, supplies and equipment, then it is not taxable. For a degree candidate aid for boarding and travel are taxable.

If you are not a degree candidate, then all the financial aid is taxable.
    You must use Worksheet 1-1 in Chapter 1 of Publication 970 to figure out the taxable amount.

However, if you were a degree candidate, include on line 7 only the amounts you used for expenses other than tuition and course-related expenses. For example, amounts used for room, board, and travel must be reported on line 7.

Any "SCH" amount that you put on line 7 of Form 1040 is subject to employment taxes at 15.3%. Include amounts you receive under a scholarship as pay for your services as an independent contractor in determining your net earnings from self-employment. If your net earnings are $400 or more, you will have to pay self-employment tax. Use Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax, to figure this tax.

Publication 970 - Tax Benefits for Education - Tax Benefits for Education; Chapter 1--Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants, and Tuition Reductions.

Apr 5, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Thank you for the pointer. I looked at publication 970, chapter 1. FYI, I am a degree candidate, the income reported on W2 is due to my part time work on campus and the scholarship reported in 1042-S was used for travel and lodging.

Based on my understanding, in form 1040 I am planning to put W2 income in line 7, 1042-S gross income in line 21 (based on comments in earlier thread), and sum of W2 withheld interest & 1042S withheld interest in line 62.

I will appreciate if you (or anyone) could comment on this strategy.

Thank you!

Apr 6, 2009, 07:39 AM

Could anyone from the previous thread share what they did?

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2009, 08:27 AM

Hi, I called up IRS this morning. They suggested that I put "SCH xxx.xx" (where xxx.xx is the 1042-S income) in the dotted line on line 7, and the total of W-2 & 1042-S incomes in box 7. Further, I should write "1042-S" in the dotted line on line 62 and put the sum of W-2 + 1042-S taxes withheld in box 62.

I believe this is what MukatA also suggested, but I could not follow. Thanks a lot though!
    rek_col Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 12:55 AM

Hello kashri and MukatA,

I have a similar case as kashri and I am clear on inclusion of amount received on 1042-S on federal 1040 form.

My question is the following:

On my 1042-S form there is no state tax deducted.
    So when I fill my state taxes ( state of Maryland in this case) do I have to put my total income as toal income in W2 + total income in 1042-S.

Or do I not have to pay state taxes on the amount received on 1042-S ?

Please clarify ? Your help is appreciated.

Apr 7, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Sorry, I don't have any info on state tax laws. I hope MukatA answers your question. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rek_col View Post
    Hello kashri and MukatA,

I have a similar case as kashri and i am clear on inclusion of amount received on 1042-S on federal 1040 form.

My question is the following:

On my 1042-S form there is no state tax deducted.
    So when i fill my state taxes ( state of maryland in this case) do i have to put my total income as toal income in W2 + total income in 1042-S.

Or do i not have to pay state taxes on the amount received on 1042-S ?

Please clarify ? Your help is appreciated.
    rek_col Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks kashri, what are you going to do for your state taxes in that case ?

Apr 7, 2009, 04:31 PM
    I'm in Texas. We don't have state tax on income.

Quote Originally Posted by rek_col View Post
    thanks kashri, what are you going to do for your state taxes in that case ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 11:22 AM
    You put the 1042 taxable income on the same line on the MD state form where the wages go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got a 1042-S form but am a resident alien [ 14 Answers ]

I did some contracting work for a company which mistakenly processed me as a non-resident Aliean and sent me a 1042 S form. I am actually a resident alien. If they can't fix this before the Filing deadline, what should I do ? Should I just attach the 1042-S form to my resident tax return ?

How Do I File a 1042-S Form As A Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, In August 2008, I became a resident alien for tax purposes, which I guess makes me a dual-status alien. I have received a 1042-S form (income code 19, $0 withheld), but when doing my taxes with Turbotax, I was not able to find a place to provide the information given in the form. I have...

Form 1042-S (Income code 16) for Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a resident alien and would like to file the tax return jointly with my wife, who is a non-resident alien. My wife receives a travel grant last year and has a Form 1042-S as follows: Income code: 16 (personal service?) Gross income: 1375.00 Tax withheld: 412.50 May...

1042-S but resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien for tax purposes as I have been in US as a student since 2002 but have a 1042-S form. How do I report this income in 1040 form? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Resident Alien who received two 1042-S [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in the U.S. since August 2001 as a student (one year on a J1, subsequently on a F1 visa). I presume I am considered a resident alien for tax purposes. However, I have received the following forms: (1) W2 from university: wages (teaching/grading). Taxes were withheld. (2) 1042-S from...

View more questions Search