Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnCressey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 03:45 AM
    Light and switch issue
    I am attempting to replace an existing light fixture. I have discovered four wires coming into the opening. When I connect the new light *** the old one was I only have power before the light and the new light comes on. No power to the rooms beyond the light. In addition, the new light is on regardless on whether the switch is on or off. I know which set of wires is hot coming to the light but do not understand what has happened here.:eek:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2006, 05:51 AM
    Sorry but your explanation is not clear enough. Can you describe each cable and wire? Or provide a photo?

If you had two cables, each with black and white in the light outlet box, then one cable should be hot across black and white. The other cable should be going to the switch, so the hot black connects to the white of the cable to the switch. This leaves the white neutral, and a switched black at the light box.

This is the best I can surmise from your explanation.
    JohnCressey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 06:41 AM
    The four wires are as such... black and white from kitchen (first in series) only one that works regardless of light being installed at all. Second set, black and white from switch for light. Third set, black and white to dining room. Fourth set black and white to bathroom. I can get all of the other rooms to come on when I connect the blacks together and the whites together. I keep popping the breaker when I connect the neutral to the switch. The light will work if connected to the hot from the kitchen but does not go off. Does this help? Got it!! Your tip about the black to the white for the switch did it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2006, 07:52 AM
    Sounds like you were splicing all the blacks together and all the whites together, which is great if all are cables that are feeds or loads.

When a two wire is used to go to a switch, and all the wires are spliced, all you do is create a dead short when you turn the switch ON.

Sounds like your all set.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

93 Civic - Battery Light issue [ 7 Answers ]

My battery light came on (while the car was running) today for the 1st time in over 5 years with my civic. Even with a dead battery, the light never came on while running. If rev the engine to 3000-3500 rpms, the light starts to fade, so I suspect that the alternator is about to go (very soon). ...

Add extra light to one switch (UK) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light switched with a normal one way light switch and want to loop in an extra light from the same switch. Do I just omit a switch wire on the extra lights rose after it's added to the circuit or must I loop it in slightly different?

View more questions Search