Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brauen98 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 05:00 AM
    Worn Insulation Service Wire
    I have just bought an older Farm house and the service cable insulation is very worn. Where it enters the house there is no plastic/coated insulation. It appears to be wrapped since threads are visible. I am wondering if this could be safely re-insulated/coated or should the service wire be replaced?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 05:35 AM
    Replace the cable.

Any repair will be considered as temporary, and not equal to the integrity of insulation of undamaged cable. This cable is considered to have no overcurrent or short circuit protection, and any failure will be serious.

Also, look into upgrading the entire service entrance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

240 Volt 3 Wire Service to 4-Wire Receptical [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing an electrical stove with a new electrical range. The old stove was hard wired with a 3-wire service. I assume 2 hot and a ground). The new range requires a 4-wire receptical (I assume 2 hot, neutral & ground). Can I wire the 3-wire service to the 4-wire receptical? (How do I do...

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Adding 4 wire service to an existing 3 wire config [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently researching wiring a hot tub 240v 4 wire 50amp, but have an older Federal Pacific box as the main. Is there a relatively simple way to change a 3 wire system to a 4 wire where the hot tub connects. Eventually I will dump the FP box and rewire, but now is the time for tubbing :) ...

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search