Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aldozac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Difficulty Starting Sears Tractor
    I have a Sears Lawn Tractor, and am having a slight problem starting it. When I turn the key, there is a one or two second delay, and it seems to be straining to start cranking. Then it starts a normal crank and turns over. Recently changed the battery, and tuned it up. Wires all seem ok, and its only 3 years old. Is my starter bad? Is something out of allignment?

aldozac
    bruce2010 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2009, 07:22 AM
    There could be many causes.
    Dirty connections?
    Check the battery voltage, does the condition improve whit a jump?
    Try a jumper cable directly to the main starter lug (main battery cable)if better this would show a bad main cable.
    Try a jumper from battery posative to the single starter solenoid connector, this bypasses all safeties and key switch.
    My best guess is a weak solenoid!

Apr 5, 2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Apr 8, 2009, 05:12 PM

Hey Bruce, things look OK. Connections are good. I ordered a new solenoid. If that doesn't do it, do you have any other suggestions??
    Bowler Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2009, 10:02 PM

If this is a Briggs engine, one common cause for this exact problem is that the compression release is on the camshaft and the easiest way to alleviate this problem is to readjust the valves to about .004" on both the intake and exhaust valves. Easy to do if you have a set of feeler gauges and smalll wrenches. Make sure to set them when the engine is at Top Dead Center and Cold. Hope this helps. Please note that this is actually a couple of thousandths less that Mfr. Settings, but I haven't had any problems doing it. Hope it works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficulty in starting writing my Ph.D. Thesis [ 17 Answers ]

I have been studying my Ph.D. in chemistry for five and a half years. I got married on the second year and had the baby on the thirds year and lost my mom after having the baby. The project was troublesome and I needed to have technical skills to solve the technical problems so that I could use a...

Sears Tractor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Garden Tractor Mod. # 917.275034. While Mowing today it stalled and will not re start . Through process of elimination a blown fuse was located in the wiring harness. The manual offers no information as to what the fuse controls but it continues to blow. Deck was disengaged and...

Sears tractor [ 2 Answers ]

Tractor has new battery but has to be jumped off once running it runs great for a while then dies and want crank back up battery is dead. Where should I look to get this problem fixed?

Sears tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 19.5 hp sears tractor. Last year it didn't run well, so same this year. I changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil, fuel filter, took apart carb and cleaned all the goop out. I checked the fuel pump, but cannot tell if it really works, but I do have vacuum at the base of it. The...

View more questions Search