Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joppa520 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 08:19 PM
    French drains
    Is a french drain part of a plumbing system when a house is built? Does it normally drain to grade (or daylight). How can I determine if there is a clog in the system.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joppa520
    Is a french drain part of a plumbing system when a house is built? Does it normally drain to grade (or daylight). How can I determine if there is a clog in the system.
    No, a french drain,(see image) is installed separately from the plumbing system.
    To learn more about french drains and how to build one click on: http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/...d/frenchdrain/

"Does it normally drain to grade (or daylight)."
    No, It terminates in a leaching pit back into the soil.

"How can I determine if there is a clog in the system?

If you're asking about a clog in a french drain there's nothing to clog up.
    If the ground gets saturated you will see water poolng around the foundation. Regards, Tom
    joppa520 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Thanks for the information. I was actually asking about an interior french drain around the inside perimeter of the basement.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joppa520
    Thanks for the information. I was actually asking about an interior french drain around the inside perimeter of the basement.
    Not a good idea leaving all that moisture in your home waiting ,how long, to leach out. Mold, humidity and who knows what else will grow. Rule of thumb. French drains= outside. Sump pumps= inside. Better to keep the moisture and the french drain outside instead of in your house.
    Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

French Citizenship from French Mother [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking into getting French citizenship for myself. Born here in US, 24 years old, my mother moved here from France when quite young and is still a French citizen. According to most of what I've read (in English) this would make me automatically French, I'd just need to get the...

French citizenship through french/canadian husband [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there - my husband was born in France. He's been a citizen of canada, resident of quebec, since his French family immigrated 36 years ago. We got married in Los Angeles, certificate issued at the Beverly Hills court-house, in 2003. I was originally informed that: 1) I had to wait 3 years...

Drains backing up [ 3 Answers ]

All the drains in my mobile home are backing up. I used a Zep product to dissolve hair clogs about 2 weeks ago. I washed clothes Sunday and the next day the drains seemed slow but still draining. The third day, today, all the drains are backing up: flush commode and water comes up in bathtub...

Drains [ 2 Answers ]

Do they make 1 1/4 inch tees to connect double sinks to a single drain? If not what can you do to connect?

View more questions Search