Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agualunaka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 07:04 PM
    What breed is my dog?
    I don't know my dogs breed, :(

When I first got Coco I was told that he was a miniature poodle and since he was a present I didn't ask many questions (my mom sent him from Costa Rica). Right now he is 9 months old and a lot of our friends think that he is a hybrid breed.
    My mom asked the breeder and he insist he is a pure breed poodle.I'm very curious to know what is he, can someone help me? I attached some pics of my little devil.

Thanks for your help
    Attached Images

jj23 Posts: 32, Reputation: -2

Apr 4, 2009, 07:46 PM

Why do your friends think he is a hybrid? Ever tried giving him a poodle cut or at least a poodle face? He looks like a poodle to me. Miniatures are the mid size in poodles and can be different in appearance from these scrawny little tiny things around here. Is he pedigreed?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 09:59 PM

Looks like a poodle or a cockapoo.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 05:51 AM
    How much does it matter? If you plan on breeding you definitely need to get a pedigree or your local breeders probably won't want to mix their bloodlines. If your puppy is destined as a companion then from the pictures check out poodle care for sure, because he's definitely part poodle at the least.
    agualunaka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 03:26 PM

My friends think he is a hybrid, because he doesn't look like their poodles.
    The groomer won't give him a poodle cut because he insist that coco is too young and should only get a trim.Is that right?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Again, does his breed matter? As to the haircut, poodle groomers do use what they call a "puppy cut" that lets the coat develop its natural water repellancy and insulation but it still looks like a poodle. If your groomer doesn't know the term find another groomer. Let me repeat that if you're going to treat your dog as a purebred you need to be able to prove it, so get the pedigree if possible. If not, enjoy your new family member.

Apr 6, 2009, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by agualunaka View Post
    My friends think he is a hybrid, because he doesn't look like their poodles.
    The groomer wont give him a poodle cut because he insist that coco is too young and should only get a trim.Is that right?
    I suggest you find a groomer who is experienced... They call it a puppy clip... and its suppose to be how long you want it... a "puppy" poodle in the show ring gets to have what is called a "Puppy Clip" which means instead of the continental or other show clips, the dogs body is clipped all over at the same length... For the head and the muzzle... the muzzle is shaved all the way down just like the toes should be with their "tops" usually rounded as to say you will probably want a pet clip since this dog is likely a pet... If your groomer won't clip him I suggest using someone who is comfortable with a puppy... obviously they are not... because most "poodle" breeders have at least 1 clip before the puppies go to their homes, some do not... I have personally groomed puppies as little as 7 weeks of age... the sooner they are groomed the better, unless you know how to handle a poodle coat and clip on your own...
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 6, 2009, 11:26 AM

He doesn't look like a purebred poodle to me. He really does look like a cockapoo, or even possibly a Bichon/Poodle. There is some poodle in him definitely, but he sure looks like a mix.

He's a cutie whatever he is. Please have him neutered, if he is not already. You don't know his bloodline, and there are many advantages. He will have a better tempermant, and his health risks which include cancer, are greatly reduced.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:03 PM

Starbuck is right, and I agree it looks like it could be a cockapoo. My cousin has one that looks just like yours. I would definitely consider having your little guy neutered if you weren't already thinking about it for the same reasons mentioned above.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:07 PM

Lhasa poo.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 01:10 PM

starbuck8 agrees: After looking again, I also think he could have some Maltese in him.

I think you might be right.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 6, 2009, 01:26 PM

One thing is pretty much for sure, and that is he is not a purebred poodle. Poodles have distinctive qualities that your dog doesn't have. They have a long nose, longer curly ears, a tight curled coat etc.

Take a look at this site. Click on all that have "poo" on the end of them, and it's a really tough call. She could be a mix of one or more of the small breeds. Chi-poo, Terri-poo,. well, and the list goes on.

http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 6, 2009, 02:26 PM

The most important thing isn't his pedigree, its his heart! He's no less of a dog if he doesn't have a full bred title. He's clearly a handsome little thing no matter what his mix is.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2009, 02:41 PM

I think he is absolutely adorable... I love poodle mixes.

We owned a Lhasapoo that looked just like him in chocolate brown.

Apr 8, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Get him clipped like a poodle, especially his face... alot of people will mistake him for a mix because lets face it... poodles aren't pretty unless groomed EVERYDAY... unless you can prove he is or isn't poodle... clip him the way you want him clipped... ive only known a handful of actual "show breeders" be able to tell what a dog truly is by a little picture on a website... and if he is a miniature... and not an oversized toy... he WILL look different because they are a bigger dog and have a different definition than that of these scrawny things people like to call teacup (dont get me started on this definition) which means "teacup" is actually smaller and incorrect than what the breed standard is SUPPOSE to be... get some history on the pup, then decide... I have rescued many poodles who look like mixes, but after shaving them and taking them to a "show breeder/vet" they can define what they really are... Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What Breed/Mix is my Dog? [ 11 Answers ]

My dog's name in the picture is Brownie. I adopted him at pound and they said he was a German Shepard mix. He is now 7 months old. Can any one help me figure out what the other mix might be?

What breed of dog? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what kind of dog the little white dog in the Caesar dogfood commercial is? Riding in the convertible with it's owner?

When to breed? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a beautiful mini, dapple and want to let her have a litter of pups, but my vet is very anti-breeding and wants me to spay her at 6 months. (she is now 14 weeks). I thought I would wait to breed her when she was at least one year old, but my vet says that I should wait until she is 2...

What breed of dog do you have? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey everyone who reads this :D I was wondering what your takes on dogs are. I want to know what breed you have, if its indoor, outdoor, crate trained whatver. I want to hear funny, cute , happy etc. stories, I want to know if your overall exsperience was a good one. I'd love to hear from you...

How old to breed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female daschund 5 1/2 month old how old does she has to be before she could start breeding?

View more questions Search