Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Victory is within sight.. . Full speed ahead!
    davin Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Bingo, there is no continuity at the switch, thus not giving power to the ECM which is why I was not getting a reading at all with the MAP Sensor! Also the main relay is not clicking because there is no power to that either. It would be awesome if this was the answer as to why my low beams on my civic don't work either rather then the switch. The really crappy thing is, I have no money for the ignition switch that I can spare :-/
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2006, 08:23 PM
    The article shows how you can repair them.

Sep 11, 2006, 08:31 PM
    At work on Wednesday I will have the electricians resolder all the connections to get it running like new :-D

Hopefully this will work and will allow me to be at school other then taking the trolly there and back everyday
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Yes, that would be awesome. If there's pitting, see if they could use low temperature silver solder to repair it.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 10:49 AM
    I'm sure you are removing the ignition switch today. How does it look?

davin, here's a posting on air conditioners I put together a few weeks ago. You might find it interesting and helpful, at some point:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...nce-32101.html

I have really enjoyed working with you and hope things settle down for you now.

Sep 12, 2006, 03:12 PM
    NOTHING!!

I borrowed some money from some people at work and have to pay them back. I went to a junk yard and bought a pretty decent ignition switch that looks pretty good when I opened it and when I rewired it, connected the battery and everything, the engine light was on and no clicking!!

I have no ideas left, this is probably something so stupid that I am probably not going to forgive myself like if I accidentally kicked a cord from under the dash and knocked it loose or something. I really don't know, I have tried everything. What the hell was it when I installed a new dizzy and it started right up. It has to be something. I now have a farmers tan from getting this car running... I am at a total loss!
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Was the ECM from your buddy's Civic that you tried the exact one for your car? Your car is a 1992 Civic DX, with what engine? Is it the D15B7 engine?

Sep 12, 2006, 05:50 PM
    No, his was a P06-L50. I went on Honda-Tech and they said that as long as it is a P06 automatic, that is will be good to go.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 05:54 PM
    What Honda Part No. was on the original ECM in your Civic?
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Inspection of main relay and relay harness:

Disconnect the main relay connector. Check for continuity between BLK terminal 2 and body ground. Is there continuity? NO--repair open in BLK wire between main relay and ground located at thermostat housing. YES--measure the voltage between YEL/WHT terminal 1 and body ground. Is there battery voltage? NO--replace ECM (15A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box; repair open in the YEL/WHT wire between the main relay and the ECM 15A fuse.

Sep 12, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    What Honda Part No. was on the original ECM in your Civic?
    P06-A51
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 06:40 PM
    After you run the main relay harness tests, I'm pretty much out of ideas. My only thoughts are if you verify power is getting to terminal 1, on the main relay connector, then I would call your local Honda parts department and see if anything other than a 37820-P06-A51 will really work.

Here's a pretty good overview:

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/index.php?content=ECU
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 06:54 PM
    repair open in the YEL/WHT wire between the main relay and the ECM 15A fuse.
    It seems like your problem is along these lines, if you have total confidence in your ECM.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Here's another simple test on the main relay harness:

. Turn ignition switch ON and measure the voltage between BLK/YEL terminal 5 and body ground.
    . Is there battery voltage? NO--Replace ACG (ALT)(S) (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box or repair open in the BLK/YEL wire between the main relay and the ACG (ALT)(S) (15 A)fuse.

Darvin, if you read voltage, probably around 12.5 v. then your first relay should click. If the previous test showed voltage at terminal 1, then the second relay should also work and click (if ECM and wiring is good).

Another test is to install a jumper wire on the number 5 and 7 terminals of the main relay connector and turn the ignition key ON--you should hear the fuel pump run.

If all of these tests are OK, then I think we are back to the ECM or an open between the main relay and the ECM.

Terminal 8 is a computer-controlled "grounding terminal" to the second relay. If the ECM is bad, or the wiring harness to the ECM has an open, the second relay won't ground and click, the Check Engine Light will stay on, the fuel injectors won't receive power, and the fuel pump won't run.

Sep 13, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Here's another simple test on the main relay harness:

. Turn ignition switch ON and measure the voltage between BLK/YEL terminal 5 and body ground.
    . Is there battery voltage? NO--Replace ACG (ALT)(S) (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box or repair open in the BLK/YEL wire between the main relay and the ACG (ALT)(S) (15 A)fuse.

darvin, if you read voltage, probably around 12.5 v., then your first relay should click. If the previous test showed voltage at terminal 1, then the second relay should also work and click (if ECM and wiring is good).

Another test is to install a jumper wire on the number 5 and 7 terminals of the main relay connector and turn the ignition key ON--you should hear the fuel pump run.

If all of these tests are OK, then I think we are back to the ECM or an open between the main relay and the ECM.

Terminal 8 is the "grounding terminal" to the second relay, which is controlled by the ECM. If the ECM is bad, or the wiring harness to the ECM has an open, the second relay won't click, the Check Engine Light will stay on, the fuel pump won't run, and the engine won't spark.

Black/yellow and body ground register at a steady 0.014v DC

Now on other articles it states that their CEL, oil & battery stay on. However, it is only my oil and CEL that are lit and not my battery. I think there is something problematic with that possibly. I will research a little more...
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Did you have ignition ON, when you registered a steady .014 DCV? If you did, then there's your problem. You should record around 12.5 DCV. That's why your first relay won't click and everything shuts down. Check the ACG (ALT) (S) (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box and check for an open in the BLK/YEL wire between the main relay and the ACG (ALT) (S) (15 A) fuse.

ACG (S) stands for Alternator, Cruise control, Gauges, and SRS unit (VB) fuse.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2006, 01:22 PM
    You might have missed this fuse because, on my 1993 Civic DX, it's located to the very top right of the under-dash fuse box and next to the SRS fuse, which has an open yellow cover on it.

The flow on this circuit appears to be from the under-hood (50 A) fuse, to the ignition switch, to the under-dash fuse/relay box fuse no. 12 or 24 (15 A), to the main relay. Your problem lies along this path.

Sep 13, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Did you have ignition ON, when you registered a steady .014 DCV? If you did, then there's your problem. You should record around 12.5 DCV. That's why your first relay won't click and everything shuts down. Check the ACG (ALT) (S) (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box and check for an open in the BLK/YEL wire between the main relay and the ACG (ALT) (S) (15 A) fuse.
    So I need to look at the alternator fuse, fuse #15, if I cannot find a break in the wire? Also I was thinking of checking continuity of the dizzy, would this be the white wire?
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2006, 01:58 PM
    I don't think you need to worry about the distributor for this problem. It's not fuse #15, but a 15 amp fuse that goes to the alternator and ECM. It should be marked on the under-dash fuse box cover. Should be fuse no. 12 (without SRS) and fuse no. 24 (with SRS).

I normally turn ignition ON, set DMM to DCV, and touch leads to test points on top of fuse. If I disconnect the battery, I set my DMM on audible ohms and check all under-hood and under-dash fuses in a couple on minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aircraft emission [ 3 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Aircraft emission [ 6 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Pregnant W/ Naval Piercing [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 3 1/2 months pregnant and I have my naval pierced. Some of my friends tell me that I have to take it off cause it isn't good for the pregnancy... Is this true... Please help...

Just started looking [ 6 Answers ]

Hey Guys, I am looking for a skin whitner, but some of the stories are scaring me, I am I guess milk chocolate, and would like to be between asian and hispanic. Any suggestions?

Mechanic Liens and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a mechanics lien is discharged in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy or does it make the lien holder a securred creditor? We are in NJ but I don't know if location has anything to do with it when a national retailer is involved. Difficult question but I need to know a proper answer not a...

View more questions Search