Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solat14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
    Moen cartridge casing stuck
    I have a moen single handle shower faucet that I am replacing the cartridge. I attached the cartridge puller with the screw, and the inner valve came right out. The cartridge casing is still inside. Any idea on how to get the casing out without having to tear an entire wall down?

Jon
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2009, 05:48 PM
    We had a complaint exactly like yours a few days ago. I responded but Darrell1953 gave a much better solution and here it is.
    when the inner part of the Moen cartridge is removed the outer part can be retrieved with the aid of a different tool. I would like to know which tool you have chosen. One that never failed me was a tap. I forget exactly what size fits in there after you take that inside stem part out, but first you cut some threads into it and then you remove the tap. Put in a wooden dowel 3/8” outside diameter (if I recall correctly) by about 2-1/2” long and then put the tap back in there it would just push it out of there and then you need to retrieve the dowel, cleanup the inside of the valve body and you were ready for your new cartridge. The more expensive way is just to replace the valve.
    Hope that helps. Let us know.
    Thanks Darrell! And good luck in retrieving the cartridge body, Tom
    john98760 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2011, 08:08 PM
    I recommend the Danco Two-in-One Core Puller (60885) that can be used to pull out the cartridge and the casing should they become separated. Amazon.com: Moen Cartridge Puller: Home Improvement
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2011, 07:51 AM

Hello John98760, and welcome to the plumbing website.

You responded to almost a year and 1/2 old post check the date on the left upper corner before you respond to a thread, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking out a stuck moen single handle shower cartridge [ 15 Answers ]

This shower cartridge is stuck. The house was sitting for 2 years without water pressure. I have taken out other moen cartridges but this one is again stuck. Help!

Moen Cartridge really stuck [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to replace the cartridge in my shower. I have the water turned off, everything disassembled (including u shaped clip), I have the T shaped cartridge tool. I was able to get the inside out of the brass housing but I cannot get the brass housing to move no matter what. The T shaped...

Moen cartridge removal [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove the cartridge on a moen bathtub faucet 92921

Replacing a moen cartridge [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove the old cartridge from the faucet assembly??

Moen cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

I changed my one handle shower cartridge by moen. This was not easy and had to break it apart to remove. I put a new one in and there was no pressure. I changed this one and got very little improvement. I had great pressure before it was just leaking any ideas??

View more questions Search