Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nik1234 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 05:16 PM
    First year choice for Stimulus Rebate
    Dear Tax Experts,
    I was on F1 till 1-Oct -2008 then on H1B until 31 dec - 2008.
    Can you please help answer 2 questions regarding my tax filing -
    1. Confirm that I can use first year choice in 2009 by taking extension using 4868(Note -I will be outside US for One month- may 2009)

2.I want to specifically use this to get stimulus rebate, which I would not otherwise get if I file as NR. With NO rebate as NR I would owe a payment of $68 to Federal. So my question is should I make this payment with 4868 form ?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 06:28 PM

By filing Form 4868 you will get extension to file your tax return.
    You can file as dual status as first year choice is you are single.

Apr 5, 2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for response. I am single. When I file 4868 can I make payment calculation as resident?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2009, 08:12 AM
    Hopefully you filed as a non-resident alien immediately, because filing dual-status offer NO tax advantage, so waiting is not required.

Jun 16, 2009, 05:58 PM

Thank you Atlanta Tax Expert. I have not yet filed my returns. I got married last month when I was outside US. Can I file now as Resident and as Married filing separately. My wife has already filed her returns for 2008.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Your marital status to file is the status you were in in on 31 December 2008, which, based on the post above, is SINGLE.

File as a SINGLE non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR-EZ plus Form 8843 one last time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stimulus Rebate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident alien for 2008. Since I was in non-resident status in 2007 I did not qualify for the stimulus rebate. My question is would I get that rebate this year? As line 70 of form 1040 includes that option and the IRS software I am using includes the stimulus amount by default. Any help...

Economic Stimulus Rebate [ 3 Answers ]

I filed an MFJ Tax Return for the TY 2007 using my spouse ITIN. Now she received SSN. Am I eligible to receive the stimulus rebate by filing an amended return with IRS? Please let me know. Thanks!!

Rebate stimulus check [ 3 Answers ]

Signed up for direct deposit. Should have received check on May 9th.(according to their schedule. Nothing yet. Anybody else with same problem? Some say you must still wait A couple of weeks?

Stimulus Rebate [ 4 Answers ]

Is it true that F1 visa students with 5+ years in the US and who are residents for tax purposes are still not eligible for economic stimulus rebate? The following answer in Yahoo claims that resident status is based on the restricted/unrestricted work access in the US. Can someone please clarify?...

Stimulus rebate check [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between filing a 1040 tax form and a 1040a form?

View more questions Search