Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parkerjnc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 05:13 PM
    B&S Model 42A707 won't start, too much compression
    I have a 9-year old MTD with B&S 17hp (model = 42A707, type = 2238E1, code = 8115A). Starter will turn the engine over to the compression stoke and then stop. Have tried new battery and jumping it from running automobile and same thing.

Removed one of the spark plugs and it turns over fine. Replaced plug and removed muffler. Would not turn over.

Noticed some fuel coming from one of the exhausts and one of the spark plugs was flooded. So I tore down the carb and made sure the float valve was clean and all working properly. Put back together, removed both spark plugs, cranked it for a while to clear out any fuel in the cylinders. Put the plugs back in and still won't turn over. (Although it doesn't seem to be flooding like it was.)

Saw several answers to similar questions referring to adjusting the valves; however, I'm not sure this engine has such valve adjustments (I haven't figured it out any way).

Saw another person had an identical situation and his started working after draining crank case. This is something I need to do anyway so I'll try that tomorrow. Just not sure why that would fix this :confused:

It certainly seems like something is allowing the compression to get to high. Any other ideas out there?
    parkerjnc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 08:57 AM
    I guess it has been longer than I thought since I changed the oil. :o Drained it and refilled and now it cranks up just fine.
    KansasCity Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
    You had too much oil (and possibly gas from it being flooded) causing too much crank case pressure, it's a common mistake

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B&S 16.5 (older model: 42a707) won't turn over w/plugs in [ 3 Answers ]

I've searched and searched to find the following suggestions: 1. Adjust the valves (twin cyl, no ohv, not sure this engine has valve adjustments) 2. ACR broken (still trying to figure out if this has ACR or not) Note: According the B&S IPL for this engine, there is no visible adjustment for...

Murray Mower 42" Twin Select w/ Briggs 42a707, Solenoid just clicks [ 2 Answers ]

Murray 42" Twin Select Briggs 42a707 16.5hp Motor OK, I am not on my mower at the moment, obviously, but I will post more model numbers and such this afternoon. History. 1. Wife picks house with monster lawn. 2. Wife pisses on my plan for a new riding mower. 3. Neighbor has pity and...

95 Civic Won't Start - Has Compression, Fuel & Spark [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Civic LX was over heated and melted the headgasket. I have replaced the head gasket and still didn't work run because of low compress under 70psi on a few cylinders. I have resurfaced the head and now all cylinder has 180psi. I put everything back together but the car looks like...

Cranking,no start,no compression,intermittant [ 8 Answers ]

2001 Pontiac Grand am,2.4,74k. Sometimes I will get cranking and no compression symptom, in all cylinders. This will happen after a good drive and a few hours later it will crank and free wheel with no compression. Yes the engine is turning.I replaced the oil pump,due to high oil pressure(possible...

View more questions Search