Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Avasean Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Apr 4, 2009, 03:53 PM
    38 Weeks Pregnant & Completely Broke!
    My husband and I are seriously in trouble! I am 38 weeks pregnant and have been on leave from work for almost a month. I hadn't worked there long, so I only get six weeks. My leave is over May 9, 2009... I still haven't had the baby!

I started my leave on March 6th. I'm not due until April 20th. I wanted to work up until my water broke to maximize my time with my baby, but every time I would have any kind of pain, my boss would send me home for the day. Sometimes after 2 hours on shift. I didn't see the point in continuing to work 2 hours a day... plus, working was causing me and the baby unneeded stress.

My husband and I both go to school full time and (before I started leave) work full time. Now that I am on leave, we are both still in college, but he is the only one working. His job does not pay worth a $H!T. The only way we are still paying bills is from our income tax refund. That is almost gone.

Since our closest family members live 50+ miles away, I will not have anyone to watch the baby for A LONG TIME! It wouldn't be anything for me to work the grave yard shift once Katy is born, but I've made all plans and preparations for breast feeding. Either my husband or myself are going to have to quit going to school. Then again, I will be able to start online classes in the Fall. I am going to try to finish my classes this semester, but I don't know how we are going to make it.

So, basically, my question is... Does anyone know how I can begin working from home, something to do with the computer? I keep getting mail advertising "Work From Home on Medical Claims Billing"... stuff like that, but I know over 95% of all those things are scams. Please Please Please Help!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 04:21 PM

It sounds like you are going to have to give up something -- the job, school, or the baby. (Jk about the baby... ) You can always pick up with school again, so that's what I would drop if I were you, at least until things calm down. One of my coworkers just had a child and is allowed to bring her to work until daddy gets off his night job. Could you arrange something like that with your boss?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 04:21 PM

I have investigated these for many years and they are all pretty much investment orientated.
    There is a new service I was thinking of trying called cha cha text where you get paid to research questions on line and then text them to peoples phones.
    Here is a link
    ChaCha - Mobile Search | Text Search | Questions and Answers

Apr 4, 2009, 04:44 PM

No, Wondergirl, I would not be able to arrange that with my boss. I work at Walmart. LoL. I supposed I don't HAVE to go back to Walmart, but I know I have a guaranteed job there.

I think working at Walmart is way too stressful for me. I would love to get an office job somewhere... as a receptionist or something like that.

Classes are almost over for this semester, my mom is going to stay with me for a few days, not sure how long, so I can finish this semester. Hopefully by Fall I'll be able to pick up classes again.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Avasean View Post
    I think working at Walmart is way too stressful for me. I would love to get an office job somewhere...as a receptionist or something like that.
    Also consider public libraries and hospitals.

Apr 4, 2009, 05:01 PM

I have thought about that... being the person who checks people in to the emergency room. I forgot what they are called. That's a 24 hour job, so I could probably work any shift
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 12:33 PM

You might want to give up the idea of breast feeding as that will really put a dent in your ability to hold a job. Babies don't have to be breast fed to grow up.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You might want to give up the idea of breast feeding as that will really put a dent in your ability to hold a job. Babies dont have to be breast fed to grow up.
    Twinkie, breastfeeding does not have to be given up. There are electric pumps these days that work wonders. We have a baby in the nursery right now who has been there for 3 weeks, she has never had formula as the mother pumps the breast milk and brings it to the hospital.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 12:54 PM

Have you talked with your boss at Wal-Mart? Depending on how long you've been there, they may be able to give you the extra time off work since you haven't had your baby yet. They may be willing to work with you; can't hurt to ask.

As for school, have you looked into online courses? That would be a way for you to still take some of your classes without having to go to a physical classroom 2-3 times a week.

As for breastfeeding, you just need to have a plan so that you can pump your milk ahead of time. The reality is, since both you and your husband have to work, that you can't schedule your hours around feeding your baby. You will need to come up with a plan to pump ahead of time, on your breaks, etc. It can be done. If breastfeeding doesn't work out for you, look into the W.I.C. (Women & Infant Children) program. This is a government program that helps low-income families by providing baby formula, milk, cheese, cereals, and a couple other items to ensure that both mommy and baby are nourished.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

I am 24/m can't get over Ex Girlfriend (of 4 years) just broke up 3-4 weeks ago [ 11 Answers ]

Well this is how it all started. I went to a bar with my friends and she was at the bar I was at. She was talking to one of her x flings and I got all pissed off. So I walked up to her and I was like what the hell are u doing. She was like nothing don't worry about me. Then throguh out the whole...

Bought a car 4 days ago and it broke down completely [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought my first car from a small dealer; I had the car for four days and it stopped running. :eek: I had the car towed to a car shop to find out I need a new motor. I bought the car as-is but was told the car was in good condition and was running fine. The sales lady that sold it said she...

Broke up for 5 weeks HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

(Long, sorry) Hi, I’m a guy whose Girlfriend of about a 1 ½ years (20 months) just broke up with me a month ago. I want her back! To get things up to speed, let me give some background about us first. We met at college and things were great from there on forward. We fell in love, cared for...

View more questions Search