Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 02:43 PM
    My bunny again.
    So well... My rabbit is pulling out a lot of fur, and making a nest with it, SHE IS NOT PREGNANT, as she hasn't been around a male for at least 4 months. Im not worried about the whole nest thing, its about how much hair she is taking out! Half her cage is complete hair! Also I don't know if I should clean her with the nest in there or let her be and do her thing:P... any suggestions?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 03:32 PM

Sounds like your bunny is experiencing a false pregnancy, this is common with unspayed females.

For now leave the nest as is so she doesn't get stressed or decide to rebuild by pulling out even more hair. She may even stop eating for a while as rabbits who are pregnant do.

Give it a week or two, keep an eye on her. If she is pulling hair to the point of leaving welts or physically harming herself, or if she doesn't eat or drink for more then 2 days, then take her to the vet.

In the meantime, keep her cage as tidy as possible without disturbing the nest. If she lunges while cleaning then leave it be.

Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 05:41 PM

Okay, well we covered her so she can have privacy
    Pets Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 08:37 PM

Just keep an eye on her, make sure she's not hurting herself.

Have you made an appointment to have her spayed yet? That would help a great deal.
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 08:57 PM

Well I haven't decided what vet clinic to go to the one my aunt went to.. or the one my family deals with.. she has stopped actually building the nest... but when would I be able to remove the nest?
    Pets Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 09:00 PM

You'll have to wait and see. I would say a week or two, but all of my rabbits where spayed before doing this, so I've never actually had to deal with this first hand.

See how she reacts, but give it at least a week. If, after a week, she still lunges when you go to clean her cage, then leave it for a few more days.

The main thing you want to avoid is her feeling the need to build another nest, that would involve her pulling out even more fur.

Keep me posted. I'll do some research, see if I can find any valuable info on the net.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What does BUNNY mean? [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Bunny, I do not know its meaning. Tell

Bunny Rabbit [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, as some of you know my rabbit became unfriendly a while back... she is not pregnant. But she goes through times where she is simply Just rude! She is maybe 5 pounds... she hid behind our couch nad when my little brother walked by attacked him! She gets treats he runs around everythign and...

Bunny has become unfriendly [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I recently adopted 2 bunnies, a male and a female. They were brother and sister and never separated. My male rabbit had recently died(about a month ago), and now the five month old female is attacking anyone who puts there hand in her cage! Its hard to even feed her! Please help. I am...

My bunny is sick [ 5 Answers ]

Help me. I've been crying my eyes out for hours. Today I just found out that my bunny has like a small lump on his neck and he has hair loose. I just noticed it today and during this month he also was very sleepy and didn't eat a lot and drink. I'm worried and id ont think I can afford a vet right...

Bunny won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a bunny at this fair yesterday. The lady that gave me her said that if she didn't get rid of her bunnys that she was going to kill them. So she gave me one now I have this animal I know anothing about want to learn more.. I have not noticed her eat or drink at all.. she was man handled...

View more questions Search