Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dparnell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 03:04 PM
    Contactor is not being activated on central air unit
    What activates the contactor relay on a central air unit.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 9, 2006, 04:05 PM
    In most cases there is a 24 volt transformer on the circuit board that supplies the contactor - the thermostat actually activates the contactor through the 24 volt circuit. Your problems could possibly be due to a faulty thermostat, circuit board, contactor or any of the low voltage wiring that connects them all up.
    Rookie46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 07:03 AM
    My contactor on a Heil unit was a honeywell 24v was calling and power was at the contactor. The coil was hot but no noise. I removed one of the 24v leads and the contactor started working. Time for replacement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central a/c unit [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c unit when I woke up this morning wasn't working it was 80 in my house. The fan on the unit outside isn't turning. The inside is working.

Central air unit staying on? [ 15 Answers ]

I've noticed over the past two weeks that our central air unit is staying on most of the day. We have it set at 75 and have it on AUTO. Now I know when it hits 76 that its suppose to kick on.. and kick off at 74 right? Well the problem is that it will run for about 6 hours during the day and not...

Knocking in central air while unit is not running [ 1 Answers ]

I am hearing loud knocking noises inside the air handler unit of my central air/heat unit located in my attic. This knocking is intermittent and I have only heard it while the unit is not running. I did not notice the noise until the winter and I started using the heat. Any ideas of what this...

Central unit freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

Our central unit out side frost over when the temp outside get below 35 degrees we have tried to just turn on the fan but you have to have the heat on for the fan to work can you tell what's going on

View more questions Search