Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike1979 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 03:03 AM
    A Lonely Guy
    My girlfriend of 6 or so years recently left me.

While I'm heartbroken, I'm dealing with it, but what I'm finding more difficult is the loneliness. Because of her, I lost contact with my friends, and I let them drift away.

I've always enjoyed being by myself, but I now realise that I only enjoyed it because I was spending time alone through choice.

Other than my time at work, I spend every waking (and sleeping) moment alone.

Today the weather is great, I'd love to head out to the beach, or go for a walk through a park, maybe sit in the sun in the beer garden of a nice pub. But... it just seems so pointless, when I'd have nobody to share it with.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 04:04 AM

One door shuts and many others open.
    Do not close yourself behind a close door.
    Maintain yourself esteem, go out and meet new friends and make new relationships.
    You will soon have your life to share with someone else.
    Good luck.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 11:56 PM
    I think Rolcam is right here. It is very hard to invest six years in a relationship, and just bounce back.

As hard as it is, schedule yourself some activities, and stick to it. Maybe adopt a pet and walk it every day, hit the parks. Dog parks in particular. Go to a gym a few times a week to swim or get a bike, and start riding. It will do you the world of good to get out there again.

I started riding a couple of years ago, and there are all kinds of clubs with like minded individuals.

Once you get started you'll wonder why you waited so long.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 11:34 AM
    There are so many things you can do. Reconnect with your old friends.

Make new friends. There must be hobbies or activities that you enjoy doing or enjoyed before you started this relationship. Go back to those activities. Start new ones. There you will meet new people and make new friends.

Try going to the gym to workout, that helps me a lot after a painful breakup.

Once you have rebuilt your self-esteem, you will be more attractive to the special someone.
    stillfading Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Apr 10, 2009, 12:11 PM

Bro I lost a lot of contacts because of my girl. I isn't worth it looking back and now I find myself trying to fit in with these people again.

I'll never let it happen again, but definitely suggest you call them and go hangout. Unlike these stupid girls, your bros should always be there!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 12:17 PM

Take a class that has always interested you.You will meet like minded people and you can make new friends.

You have to be willing to step out of your comfort zone and have the confidence to take the bull by the horns as they say.

You are only as limited in meeting people as you make yourself.

Do some volunteering , it will also help you take your mind off your own problems.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Amen to that artlady, had to spread the rep, but I totally agree.

Volunteering will put this in a healthier perspective, and ease the transition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sad and lonely lad [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am a 35 year old male me and my girlfriend of 3 years broke up ,she said wants her space ,she is in college now she is also seeing other people but she also tells me me on a basis that she loves me,but wants to see other men she doesn't want to be in a relationship with me, I go to...

I am the lonely one [ 1 Answers ]

The lyrics are, " I'm a man, I'm living all alone, i need someone to call my own, baby give me a thrill, i need to know if this love is for real because i am the lonely one". He kind of sounds like prince with all the whining. I have been looking for about a year. I have asked every music expert,...

Lonely 17 yr old [ 3 Answers ]

I know a seventeen yr old girl who has never had a boyfriend or has never even been kissed. Its not that she never could find a guy. There's been guys but at those times in her life she was never really interested in those types. Well with one she was but she was too shy and wanted to really know...

I'm so lonely [ 10 Answers ]

Can some 1 help me with ways 2 get my ex back I'm 31 years old I have 4 kids none of which are my ex partners he was so loving towards me an my children we had a disagreement 1 day an he left 4 another town he's not from this country and a few weeks after we finished I relised how much I really do...

Lonely Dog [ 5 Answers ]

I have a wonderful 1 1/2 female Boxer, she is a great dog, friendly and always wants to be around people, she is crate trained, every morning after we go for a nice long walk we go back to the house and she goes right in her crate, she is only crated when we are not home, when we are home we are...

View more questions Search