Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angela527 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 09:29 PM
    I want ivy to replace my grass
    I have a front yard full of grass and I want to eliminate it. I planted some ivy last year and I was told it would grow "like fire" and start to grow over the grass. It has not. In order for it to grow must I remove the grass in front of the ivy? Thank you. I live in NJ
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:53 AM

I planted ivy in N. Cal and it would take over the grass if I let it, maybe it just needs a little more time.
    dangermouse3478 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Hi Angela,

I live in central NJ - monmouth county. My property was almost completely overrun by ivy at one point, before I moved in. Ivy is incredibly invasive and even though it has not taken over at your home yet, it can and will. If you're hoping to avoid having to mow the lawn by planting ivy, my opinion from living with this stuff for 3 years is that it will eventually spread to the grass but it will take a long time to actually over run the grass to the point where the grass dies or does not come up. I work hard to control the ivy, mostly it shoots tendrils into the grass and eventually spreads this way. In my opinion if I did nothing the ivy, which is already really well established around the edges of my property, would still take a good 2-3 years to take over the grass to the point wHere I would not have to mow. The only other thing I can add is that ivy is now considered a nuisance plant and can detract from the value of your home if not well manicured. Its very hard to control -- I still pull it out of basement window seams, off the house foundation and chimney, and out of all the hedges and trees. Pain in the butt. A well controlled ivy bed is pretty, but you need to get there and not let it get out of control. I'd rather mow any day. Good luck! :rolleyes:
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

May 13, 2009, 09:53 AM

As the other posts states and I agree, 'Be careful what you wish for.. . '
    I'd especially worry about the damage ivy does every year to home foundations and brick walls.
    There are other types of ground cover that you may be interested in that aren't near as troublesome. Periwinkle or Vinca is a nice shade tolerant ground cover that grows to almost 10 -12 inches and has lovely purple blue flowers.
    You could also use walkable thyme or sedum. Although these are s l o w growers.
    Check out PARKS.COM or Home: High Country Gardens for other ground cover ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kind of grass? [ 8 Answers ]

Without hiring someone, how can I tell which type of grass I have? Is there a website with pictures of different kinds? Also, is rolling your lawn still needed and if so, how soon, if at all, should I areate? Thanks:D

Replacing the grass in my lawn with eco-grass [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace the grass in my lawn with some eco-grass (a blend of fescues, not the astroturf), but I'd like to avoid using Roundup to kill my existing grass. I was thinking of either tilling my entire yard with a rototiller or getting a sod cutter and then flipping the sod over (so I don't...

Grass [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new house in December and my yard is full of weeds. How do I start growing grass?

What type of grass do I have? [ 5 Answers ]

What type of gras do I have.

Improving my grass [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Indianapolis, In and it is February now. I have a lawn that used to be a horse pasture and it has a mixture of many kinds of weeds and grasses along with real grass of unknown kind. I want to know how to improve my grass growth and reduce my weeds and other grasses. What can I do in...

View more questions Search