Apr 3, 2009, 02:01 PM
    What is wifi
    I do not under stand what wifi is
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 02:16 PM

From the acronym finder: Wi-Fi

Wireless Fidelity

Generally you see it used for "wireless hotspots" or "free WI-FI".

It basically uses the 802.11b/g/n or whatever standard they come up with next. It is the same standard used to implement typical wireless networking with a wireless router.

Other wireless technologies exist such as bluetooth, cellular cards, but it's not lumped into the WIFI category.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 10:30 AM

To keep it simple. It's wireless internet. Like keepitsimple said, generally used to refer to hotspots (places you can get wirless free).

Rick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

This link will explain a little more about Wi-Fi in depth!
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 06:52 PM

To put it in the terms of someone technically-challanged:
    It's the internet that goes through the air!

A router/modem can get you hooked up through wifi, most come with onscreen instructions. Then, set a password, and your laptop/other wireless device will be ready to go.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 06:57 PM

In other words, you don't have to be plugged in to an outlet somewhere in order to get onto the Internet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2009, 07:10 PM

Wi-Fi is actually wireless ETHERNET. It allows a device to connect to a network through radio signals. That network most often is then used to connect to the Internet but it doesn't have to.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 07:11 PM

So Ethernet takes us where besides the Internet?

Apr 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So Ethernet takes us where besides the Internet?
    Ethernet is the seed tandard for connecting devices in a network to share resources. Before the Internet became so much a part of our lives, networks were used to share files, printers, etc.

Routers are used to connect LANs with the Internet. But one doesn't need to connect to the Net to use Ethernet to create a LAN.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 07:41 PM

So three computers on a router here at home are a LAN. The computers at work are on a router and are a LAN. Computers hooked up through a college network are a LAN.

Apr 5, 2009, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So three computers on a router here at home are a LAN. The computers at work are on a router and are a LAN. Computers hooked up through a college network are a LAN.
    Almost, a wireless broadband router that one uses to create a home network is actually 3 devices in one. It's a router which is used to connect the LAN to the carrier's LAN. Its an access point to allow wireless devices to connect to the LAN (that's the WiFi) and it's a switch that connects wired devices to the LAN. One can have a switch that create a LAN without connecting the LAN to the Internet or to another LAN. So you could get a 5 port switch, connect 3 PCs and a printer to it and you have a LAN. When the LAN is connected to a larger LAN through a Router, then you have a WAN (Wide Area Network). The Internet is the ultimate WAN.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 10:44 AM

So what are we talking about here. Wi-Fi or what is a LAN? LOL

Since I think we've settled the WiFi topic, lets move on to the LAN.
    A LAN doesn't have to connect to the internet. It does not have to connect to another LAN that connects to the internet. It's simply PC's that are connected sharing resources, whether the internet is invloved or not is superfluous.

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wifi vs Wireless and AT&T's Free Wifi Service [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I'm computer illiterate, and have a few questions. Please feel free to explain the most basic details. :) One, is wifi the same as a home wireless internet connection? If I disable Wireless Zero Configuration, could someone still utilize my free public wifi service at hotspots? ...

Wifi max and psp [ 1 Answers ]

First things first I bought a wifi max 4 ma psp and everything was working at first but now when I try 2 connect to the internet on ma psp all I get is this message " Communication with the server failed. A DNS server has occurred. (80410410) All my settings are correct and I think its nothing...

View more questions Search