Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigtam121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Printer Cartridge Lexmark X2480 All In One
    Wondered if anyone could help me. This morning the ink level on my lexmark printer status was showing as 'order new ink' with 15 pages of printing left. I went to the local PC shop and got a new lexmark no 2 cartridge. I installed the new cartridge as per instructions but the printer status is still showing the same. I have tried reinstalling software and have treble checked the cartridge is mounted properly in the carrier which it is. Has anyone experienced this with a lexmark before. I've just paid £25 for a colour cartridge I can't use. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Tom. Scotland
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 12:26 PM

I currently have a HP All In One Machine. This was given to me. I looked up online and saw that this machine was a real whiz bang and could do all sorts of things. I was impressed. I was not impressed, however, when I got the thing properly hooked up with the software and spent a small fortune on some new ink cartridges as it was B&W and Color.

Well, I put the brand new B&W ink cartridge in the machine. Ok, I could print in B&W. Then I put the new color cartridge in the machine. Could NOT print in color as the PRINT HEAD was bad. Yep. I would have to purchase a brand new color printhead (which actually was 3 printheads and not one) before this would work.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts your Lexmark has the same kind of configuration as the HP All in One machine has in that it has ink cartridges AND separate print heads.

Guess what I'm going to do with my very expensive "paper weight"? Giving it to charity. I'm not about to spend $120 for 4 new print heads. I have other printers that work just fine with the ink cartridges that have the printheads built into the cartridges. They had a good idea of making these All in one machines, but they sure get you in the end by nickel and diming you to death with the ink cartridges and separate print heads.

If you DO like your machine, by all means look into the print heads but don't fall over when you find out the price for replacements... be warned... they can get pricey and they don't last very long either.

Suggest you look online for your model and see what other consumers had to say about the pros and cons of your machine. I sure got an eyeful when I looked up my HP 7100 Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax machine. I would have gladly told the guy giving it to me I'll pass, no thank you.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 05:15 AM
    When I change my Lexmark cartridges, I get a prompt from the printer asking if the cartridge is new. When I answer yes, it recalibrates it's self,
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    ...snip...

I'll bet you dollars to donuts your Lexmark has the same kind of configuration as the HP All in One machine has in that it has ink cartridges AND separate print heads.

...snip...
    I am almost 100% sure that the Lexmark printer does NOT have separate print heads.

See if there is some option in the "Solution Center" program that should be accessible from the system tray icon (by the clock) to indicate you did install a new print head.

One last thing... you did remove the tape from the print head, didn't you ;)

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    BlusterMher Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 08:41 PM

Need to know if the cartridge/s is/are refilled... Lexmark has a patent that you can only use the ink cartridge once and the chipset inside the printer will shut the nozzle off from firing inks.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlusterMher View Post
    Need to know if the cartridge/s is/are refilled... Lexmark has a patent that you can only use the ink cartridge once and the chipset inside the printer will shut the nozzle off from firing inks.
    If Tom paid £25 for a refilled cartridge, he got ripped off!
    WallyH
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2009, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I currently have a HP All In One Machine. This was given to me. I looked up online and saw that this machine was a real whiz bang and could do all sorts of things. I was impressed. I was not impressed, however, when I got the thing properly hooked up with the software and spent a small fortune on some new ink cartridges as it was B&W and Color.

Well, I put the brand new B&W ink cartridge in the machine. Ok, I could print in B&W. Then I put the new color cartridge in the machine. Could NOT print in color as the PRINT HEAD was bad. Yep. I would have to purchase a brand new color printhead (which actually was 3 printheads and not one) before this would work.

I sure got an eyeful when I looked up my HP 7100 Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax machine. I would have gladly told the guy giving it to me I'll pass, no thank you.
    First, what exact model printer do you have? Does it use the 02 series of inks? What do you consider a "small fortune" on cartridges. Generally a full set of HP inkjet cartridges will cost $30-$70 which is in line with other manufacturers.

Why do you think the guy gave you the printer? Probably because the print head went bad. Printhead failure is one of the more common problems with inkjet printers. Most HPs with separate printheads are, at least, user replaceable unlike most other manufacturers.

What "eyefull" did you get. If it's the model I think it is, It's a fairly highly rated machine. The fact is that HP sells more printers than all its competitors and has won PC Magazines Editor's Choice award for the last 15 years in a row.
    jadsmith1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 09:58 PM

I have faced same problem. I checked online help and support center.

Canon Printer Ink Cartridges | Buy Online 20-50% Cheaper
    BlusterMher Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 12:17 AM

Since you havew reinstalled the driver of this printer, try this one
    -removed the cartridge number 2 in your printer
    -close all lids without cartridge
    -unplug the ac adaptor of the printer for 1 minute
    -clean the contacts of the cartridge & cartridge carrier
    -after a minute plug the adaptor & there should be blinking light
    -insert the cartridge back
    -on your computer if there is solution center under all programs\lexmark printer series open it
    -click on maintenance
    -you will see there install new ink cartridge
    -follow the steps so the computer & printer will recognized that the cartridge that you have is new...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lexmark 3 in 1 printer [ 2 Answers ]

does anyone know where I can get instructions and set up disk for a lexmark X7350 3 in 1 printer please

Calling all Lexmark X6570 Printer Owners - Is my printer damaged? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a Lexmark X6570 Printer(wireless printing, faxing, photo printing, scanning, copying, and printing all in one). I now need the help of others who own this printer as well because I'm not sure if I purchased a faulty/damaged printer. I have installed the printer and...

Lexmark printer not working [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am unable to print, everything seems to work even changed the ink but page comes out blank. Thanking you in anticipation Barry:confused:

Can't install lexmark x75 all in one printer [ 1 Answers ]

I do not have the install cd for the all in one printer what should I do??

View more questions Search