Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hopeful Waiter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 08:59 PM
    Low Pressure with galvanized pipe
    I am having low pressure/volume when I turn on the hot water, especially in the shower, the kitchen sink, and the dishwasher. I do have some galvanized pipe, but this problem came on suddenly this winter. Could the hot water heater have anything to do with this? It is 14 years old. Is there any way to clean out galvanized pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2006, 06:58 AM
    First off, do you flush your heater out on a regular maintenance schedule? If not then you have mineral build up the hot water pipes.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. The average life of a waterheater is 8 years so you're overdue for a replacement.

We now come to the subject of galvanized pipes. Something I'm familiar with since my house is over 50 years old with the same problem as yours.
    Over the years iron oxcide,(rust) builds up in the pipe walls cutting down on the volume the pipe can carry. This shows up every time you turn on mor then one faucet as low pressure. I have see 3/4" galvanized pipe choked down to the diameter of a pencil by iron oxcide. I wish I could tell you that there was a magic solution to this problem. Unfortunately I can't. The only solution to galvanized piping is to replace it and repipe the house plus the galvanized water service. I wish I could be more up beat but old galvanized piping is bad news. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to pressure-test gas pipe [ 15 Answers ]

Hi again! First, MANY thanks to you experts for the help I've gotten in the last month. I passed my plumbing inspection for my new bathroom and kitchen! Now, on to one more little one. I'm installing gas lines. The house was previously on oil heat and all other appliances were electric,...

Pipe diameter = poor water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has low pressure, especially in the shower. It's a loft building in NYC and my unit was renovated in 1985. Others in the building claim to have no issues with pressure. I'm re-doing one bath and the walls have been removed. While the pipes running to the shower area are large, the...

No water pressure after pipe replaced [ 1 Answers ]

Hi--we had a leak in a hot water pipe in our basement--after the pipe was replaced we have lost our hot water pressure. The pipe is more narrow than the pipe that was originally there, could that be the problem?

Copper to Galvanized [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace some water pipes in my house to add Shut-offs and to remove some "hokey" setups.. my issue is that I have galvanized running up through the walls to the 2nd story bathroom. Everything else in the house is copper or PVC. I want to run copper to the galvanized, do I need Dielectric...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search